wr250 or 450 advice please

6 replies to this topic
  • drz42

Posted December 24, 2006 - 02:41 PM

im looking to get a new bike next week, was riding a 04 drz 400, good bike just a little heavy. i ride agressive trails, love hill climbing and some open desert. cant decide between the wr250 or wr450, im only 155lbs with gear. im totaly on the fence between the two bikes. the cost diff doesnt matter, just want something more nimble when riding. both bikes are lighter then what i was on before. How is the power on the 250. coming from a 400 would i be disapointed with the power of the 250? any advice is greatly appreciated, happy holidays everyone

• Humunn

Posted December 25, 2006 - 03:22 PM

I just came off of a modded 02 WR250 to an 07 WR450. I rode the 450 for the first time yesterday and it will take me time to get used to it. I had to be real careful how I grabbed power. It almost got away from me a couple times. Thankfully the throttle stop was still in. A modded 250 will out run and definitely out manuever the DRZ and an XR400. You can not go wrong with the 250 especially the new ones which are much more nimble than my 02. If you do more technical, woodsy, tight single track then go with the 250. If you are more wide open desert type riding then go with the 450.

• johnnyjeep

Posted December 25, 2006 - 07:22 PM

I just came off of a modded 02 WR250 to an 07 WR450. I rode the 450 for the first time yesterday and it will take me time to get used to it. I had to be real careful how I grabbed power. It almost got away from me a couple times. Thankfully the throttle stop was still in. A modded 250 will out run and definitely out manuever the DRZ and an XR400. You can not go wrong with the 250 especially the new ones which are much more nimble than my 02. If you do more technical, woodsy, tight single track then go with the 250. If you are more wide open desert type riding then go with the 450.

I dont know what has to be modded on the 07, I have an 06, and I do have a question or 2 for you. This bike that almost got away from you, what mods were done if any? I am not trying to dog you in any way. I got my 06, from the dealer with the throttle stop done, nothing else and it felt like a moped (in comparison I came off a RM250). I do think your answer is right on the money, I just gotta question the new 07.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Desracer

Posted December 25, 2006 - 10:19 PM

Get the 450 for what you do, hill climbing, sand etc. The 250 is mega fun but it is a high rev bike. That being said the 450 will last longer and have less maintenance. The power is smooth on the 450 so you dont feel the speed build like on a mx bike with a hit. Both bikes are fun to ride, get a test ride on them and then chose.

• johnnyjeep

Posted December 25, 2006 - 10:38 PM

I guess I diverted from the actual ?. from the stated #s from yammy, your weight is right for the 450, suspension wise. If you know how to control the bike, 450 is the way to go. However, the more I hear about tight stuff and MX handeling, if thats what you do, the 250 might be better.

• Beejay

Posted December 26, 2006 - 06:51 AM

In a couple months you'll be ringing the neck of that 250 wanting more power, go with the 450, as stated earlier it'll last you longer. Do all mods & it's a different machine.

450 you won't regret it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 26, 2006 - 12:13 PM

im looking to get a new bike next week, was riding a 04 drz 400, good bike just a little heavy. i ride agressive trails, love hill climbing and some open desert. cant decide between the wr250 or wr450, im only 155lbs with gear. im totaly on the fence between the two bikes. the cost diff doesnt matter, just want something more nimble when riding. both bikes are lighter then what i was on before. How is the power on the 250. coming from a 400 would i be disapointed with the power of the 250? any advice is greatly appreciated, happy holidays everyone

drz400 - Heavy

wr450 - still heavy, but considered light for a big bike.

wr250 - not heavy, but not necessarily light. Weight becomes a non-issue.

At your weight, I would think that a wr250 will have you haulin ass down any trail, up any hill, around any turn, over any rocks and through any sand wash.

You could put a big bore kit in it for extra grunt, but you won't need it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.