2006 YZ450F power distribution

16 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted December 24, 2006 - 01:02 PM

In the not too distant future I'm thinking of having Dave over at MRD perfomance make a full system exhaust for the YZ450 I'm getting myself for Christmas. His full systems are $400 and are supposedly some of the best systems out there especially given their price. When I called to find out more about his products he asked which type of head pipe I'd want. He will custom make the header depending upon where you want to see the most increase in power. He can give one head pipe that will greatly increase low end to mid range or one that will focus more increase in the mid to top end range. Gains will be felt throughout but the biggest increases willl be in those ranges depending upon the chosen header.

I haven't taken possession of my bike yet which is why I'm holding off to order the new pipe but it got me curious as to what most people have or would choose. I'd like to do kind of a poll to find out:

1. Where people feel the '06 YZ450F could most use an increase in power.

2. And what type of riding you do (mx track, sx track, tight trails, wide open desert, etc.) to justify where you'd like to see more power.

I don't want this to turn into a "which exhaust is best" thread as there are tons of those. Which pipe brand isn't as important as where people feel the YZ450 already has more than enough power and where it could use more. I'm not sure if many other companies customize the head pipe to where you want the power or not.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted December 24, 2006 - 02:46 PM

The 06 has a beatiful power delivery but can feel pretty mild on the bottom end. If you are a faster rider you may not want to sacrifice the beautiful mid to top end pull, but if you ride in the lower rpm range and/or don't have the best corner speed then you may want more bottom. I like the stock power delivery so I opted just for the slip on from Dave. It breathes better so it gives it a little more juice everywhere without changing the power delivery. Most guys will benefit from additional low end though.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted December 24, 2006 - 03:22 PM

I personally feel that the bike could use just a little more top end. Most riders are not smooth enough with the low end that the bike already puts out. Just my opinion.

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2006 - 05:01 PM

1. Lower midrange to midrange.

2. MX and general recreational, including desert.

"Hit" can be extremely deceiving. Anyone who rode both of mine says they think my '03 is much stronger than the '06. But, when run side by side on pavement, there is almost no difference at all until 4th gear, where the '06 is a little stronger. Go figure.

The '06 has a Dr.D stainless system, the '03 an FMF Ti4/Power Bomb.

• Wyatt

Posted December 24, 2006 - 07:51 PM

You have to look at your riding style. I like bikes with lots of low end. Short shift and pull a taller gear. I like to go through turns and leave it in 3rd rather than go down to 2nd.

Thats me. Most really fast guys probably like high end power.

• red7

Posted December 25, 2006 - 12:26 AM

Well having been riding a WR450 on a sx track I always pull a taller gear and lug through the corners. There will definitely be a learning curve when i jump on the YZ450 8 days from now. The good things as I've gotten really comfortable on my WR tractor so I think I'm going to feel free on the lighter bike as I'm already whipping my WR around in the air.

One thing you guys could educate me on while I await my bike. Would a pipe that focuses more power on the low to mid range in essence lengthen the gears (or atleast feel like it) in that I can lug a taller gear like I do now knowing I'd have the power to pull that gear a long way or would it really be the mid to high end designed pipe that would accomplish that? I'm not sure I'm explaining myself correctly but hopefully you can understand what I'm getting at. My biggest fear going to a YZ is that I'm going to be shifting so much more do to the non wide ratio gearing. That's where I'm wondering which pipe I'd end up prefering.

• red7

Posted December 25, 2006 - 12:28 AM

The 06 has a beatiful power delivery but can feel pretty mild on the bottom end. If you are a faster rider you may not want to sacrifice the beautiful mid to top end pull, but if you ride in the lower rpm range and/or don't have the best corner speed then you may want more bottom. I like the stock power delivery so I opted just for the slip on from Dave. It breathes better so it gives it a little more juice everywhere without changing the power delivery. Most guys will benefit from additional low end though.

Baron, my understanding of Daves head pipe tuning is that you can focus the power to either low-mid or mid-high without losing anything in the other range or possibly still seeing gains even in that other range. Was that your understanding in talking with him?

• Baron Von Beard

Posted December 25, 2006 - 10:01 AM

Baron, my understanding of Daves head pipe tuning is that you can focus the power to either low-mid or mid-high without losing anything in the other range or possibly still seeing gains even in that other range. Was that your understanding in talking with him?

You're right to a point. The funny thing about adding some power somewhere is that even if the opposite end of the power spectrum doesn't lose anything, it can feel like it did. For example, add some bottom end power, now the top end can feel flat because the torque curve is flatter. That's why Dave offers different headpipes as well as end caps to tune the power.

Like I said before, I like the stock delivery of the bike so I just went with a slip-on. I didn't want to ruin the smooth bottom end and strong top end pull. I think Dr. Fletch is crazy:p about the bike having a strong bottom and flat top end. My bike has great mid and top end power but was a little soft outta the hole in stock form. He's also got a FMF 4.1 so that may have changed the power slightly. If you want to see a bike with a bunch of low end and no top, ride an 07 KXF450. Those things are as chuggy and short shifting as a stock bike comes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twenty34

Posted December 26, 2006 - 06:58 PM

The good things as I've gotten really comfortable on my WR tractor

If you think the WR is a tractor, the YZ is like a tractor on turbo boost. Seriously Red, there's no comparision. The YZ is so much better in every category you'll be amazed. Do change the jetting immediately however. Just like on the WR, it'll help quite a bit, but the YZ doesn't suffer from the same performance sapping issues as the WR thankfully.

• red7

Posted December 26, 2006 - 11:26 PM

Hey Rick, you were the first person to call me out and say I'd be much happier on a YZ450. I tried to fight it for a bit but I finally saw the light and think I'll be stoked. WHen I moved to Mazatlan I had never ridden track or even jumped much. Now that I live 2 blocks from a free track I know it's time to say goodbye to the WR. The good thing is that I've learned really fast and feel very comfortable jumping any doubles under 40 feet and feel like I'm whipping that tractor around pretty good so when I get on the YZ I think things will really take off.

Plus, it's got to look funny as hell launching a big double with my license plate on and tail light flashing.

• red7

Posted December 26, 2006 - 11:27 PM

........not to mention the fact that I honk my horn whenever I need someone to move over.:lol:

• twenty34

Posted December 26, 2006 - 11:34 PM

Since I was in your shoes a few months back, I can assure you that you'll be glad you made the switch. The difference and improvement in the power and handling of this bike compared to the WR is significant. I felt more comfortable turning from day 1. The WR couldn't turn with any adjustments that were made to the suspension, but with the YZ, it turns considerably better and the bike provides you with improved confidence. It may take a little tweaking on suspension settings to get what you want, but keep at it and you'll be more than pleased.

Have fun and hold on. This bike pulls so much better and is so much more fun to ride.

• red7

Posted December 27, 2006 - 11:27 AM

Swwweeeeeeeeeettttt! Did you do any performance mods to yours (like pipe) or were you so blown away with the power compared to the WR that there was no need?

• twenty34

Posted December 27, 2006 - 12:28 PM

Hey Red, if you remember the sticky from the WR forum on performance mods that got really long, well, I started that thread a yr ago.

If I knew then what I now know, I would have never purchased the WR. Put it this way, you can go almost completly stock with the YZ and it'll just kick doors on even a performance enhanced WR. Again, the jetting needs to be addressed so you don't have to deal with the annoying popping on deceleration. Just like on the WR. The only accessory I'm looking at right now is either a new slip on or maybe an entire pipe/exhaust. After you get used to the power delivery, just like with any new bike, you'll always find a need for some extra power...Just the way life is. This is NOT required by any stretch, but the bike can use a little more low end delivery. The Mid to Top end screams, but once you get used to the bike, you'll want a little more on the low-end. That's about it. If you don't ride tight tracks, this won't be needed. I put on some new bars, but to be honest, there's nothing wrong with the stock units.

My best advice is to ride the bike a few times hard to break in the suspension and to get it dialed in and let the motor settle. From there, you can decide what you may want to tweak, but there shouldn't be much more that what I've listed other than maybe a chain (they suck like the WR), a tire depending on what you ride it, etc. All minor stuff outside of what you decide for a pipe or exhaust. :lol:

You'll see soon enough...

• red7

Posted December 27, 2006 - 01:49 PM

Good info! I've already ordered a new chain and new tires (although I just swap out the front now and wait until I use up the rear to change that) and all of the jets although I'm thinking I'll go with a 48 and 170 to start with here at sea level.

I was curious about breaking in the suspension so I'm glad you brought that up. Is it best to just ride trails for a few rides or can I go right to the track and go to work? There is a 50' table my buddy and I are wanting to clear but I had to quit trying because my WR would just bottom so hard if I even tried to go for it. Should I avoid big hits like this for awhile or not? It sounds like the motor really doesn't need a whole lot of time for breaking in per the manual.

BTW- I'm holding off on the pipe (will definitely be MRD) for now so that I can get used to the bike as it is and decided to spend that money on upgrading my Astar Tech 6 boots to a pair of '07 Gaerne SG10s. Seems like when ever I open the door to spend some money like on a new bike I just crazy for a bit. If I'm already spending close to $6k what's another grand right?:lol:

• twenty34

Posted December 27, 2006 - 02:19 PM

Is it best to just ride trails for a few rides or can I go
right to the track and go to work?

Trails aren't gonna break in the suspension. You'll need to hit the jumps for a while and you'll need to set your sag. I initially thought the suspension felt stiff, but it ended up bottoming fairly harshly, so to my surprise I had to increase both the compression and rebound settings. Now it handles hard landings much better. Still working on getting the balance down for both smaller bumps and larger landings. You'll figure it out. Just practice with some settings and see how it works for you, then try again until you get things worked out, keeping in mind that your suspension will be working in during this process therefore, you'll likely need to tweek a few more times as it starts to break in. Get the idea...:lol:

BTW: this thing turns on a dime compared to the WR. You just wait! :confused:

• red7

Posted December 27, 2006 - 02:29 PM

Good, then I've got just the jump to break it in on then!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.