Bought a XR650R

3 replies to this topic
  • mmrizio

Posted December 24, 2006 - 08:05 AM

Hi All,

I just bought a XR650R so my KTM520EXC doesn't have to make so many road miles. I picked up a reasonably well example, but there are some 'fixes' by previous owners that I am not so happy with.

Main annoyance is that the chain must have snapped, taking with it the chain 'catcher' above/in front of the sprocket. Problem is that the top mount of the bracket broke off as well. And the previous owner has drilled the hole to try and mount a new bracket. He drilled it fully through to the inside of the gearbox area. Can I just block the hole with a bolt? Should I worry about oil lines in that area?

Maurice

• motopsycho650

Posted December 25, 2006 - 08:50 AM

Ouch. Not the best situation in the world, by far. At one point on my bike, the lower mount on the engine case cracked in 3 places around the threaded hole. I was able to find a local aluminum welder and he was able to repair the cracks. He ended up completely filling the hole, added some extra metal around the outside, and re-drilled & tapped the hole. Great fix, but he charged me 100 bucks. I would try looking into this idea.

I hate to say it, but if that was my bike, I would probably tear it down & replace that side of the case. Not a fun prospect, but if the damage is as bad as it sounds, anything less would bug me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mmrizio

Posted December 25, 2006 - 12:23 PM

Hi Motopsycho. Your email worries me, but I hope it is not as bad as you fear. It is only the external rib that broke, just about flush with the other extension. I don't think there was any damage to the rest of the casing, as the casing is a series of ribs with a lot of strengths. The bottom mount joins the casing at a flat side wall, a big hit will much easier crack the casing. I wasn't worried about that part. Should I? Do you think the casing will crack? I had similar damage on my old LC4 that never gave me any trouble.

What I was more worried about was the 'fix' by the previous owner. In a vague attempt to remount the bracket, he drilled the old hole with a smaller diameter drill. He drilled all the way into the innards of the gearbox. When I inspected the damage, I saw some holes belonging to the internal oil system near the clutch area. So I got worried whether he damaged some internal oil lines.

Maurice

• 76Datsun280z

Posted December 25, 2006 - 12:35 PM

Let's see a picture of you new bike!

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.