Stolen '04 WR450F...Reward Offered

40 replies to this topic
  • Ronbarbani

Posted December 28, 2006 - 11:26 AM

To all: I sincerely appreciate your thoughts about holding the shop owner responsible. Ultimately, he is responsible now matter what the cause is; fire theft, damage. This particular case is a little different. It's sort of like your dentist pulling the wrong tooth and then telling you not to pay for the tooth he pulled. The shop owner is a really nice guy, it's not funded by of the major manufactures. It's just a "good ole boy" shop that wrenches on bikes and sells second hand bikes. It's hard for me to accept, but he's in much more turmoil than I am. The thief stole 16 bikes all-together, all dirt bikes. They didn't touch the street bikes or the vintage bikes. That same night they smashed in the front window and took all 16 bikes was the same night a 25' U-Haul was stolen 5 miles away. Coincidence......I don't think so.

I just want my bike back.

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 28, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Sorry about your loss bro. Good luck finding it.

• Fullbore4

Posted December 29, 2006 - 02:31 PM

I hope so. I talked to the shop owner and he says he has insurance but you know how insurance companies are. I'll probably have to wait for ever!

I agree with Mr. Clark. Since the guy is being "NICE" as you say and I don't doubt he is......you can have a lawyer draft a letter stating that you will pursue it in court. Push the lawyer to do it free as they might sniff the sweet aroma of money as they so often do. Then very politely hand carry the letter to the owner. Even if it amounts to a mole on an elephant's ass to the shop owner, you still have the option of spending a bit and actually pursuing it in court.

He may be a nice guy but for hell sakes, the shop lost your bike and they are liable no matter what!

• clark4131

Posted December 30, 2006 - 07:05 AM

He may be a nice guy but for hell sakes, the shop lost your bike and they are liable no matter what!

Amen. The shop is there for one purpose, to make money. Does he do the work for free out of the kindness of his heart? Does he take in orphans and give them food and clothing? Does he heal the sick and walk on water? It sucks that a mom and pop operation like this got hit by thieves, but tough shiznit. In the words of Tony Soprano..."It ain't personal, it's just business."...SC

• ffgman

Posted January 01, 2007 - 04:54 PM

I feel for ya bro. I have a buddy that just got his tricked out 250x ripped off at a hare scrambles. It was less than a 100 yards away at night from where he was hangin out in his buddies rv for an hour, came back and it was gone.The locals up there said that the nearby indian reservation has been known to rip off stuff, but the local police have no powers on reservations. So he is SOL. Hang in there.

• new2blu

Posted January 02, 2007 - 05:24 PM

I hope so. I talked to the shop owner and he says he has insurance but you know how insurance companies are. I'll probably have to wait for ever!

I call them (insurance companies) the "insurance weasels"---weasel their way out of anything they can. But I hope they don't in this case!

• Ronbarbani

Posted January 03, 2007 - 05:34 AM

No luck with the insurance companies; mine and his both say my bike is not covered. Please watch out for a great deal on 04 WR450F or parts.

• CRF RedRider

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:59 AM

Don't give up! Even though you "may" have signed a wavier - read it. More than likely is was for the maintenance work. Theft and vandalism usually pertains to items left with the bike. You keep after his insurance agent, if the guy actually had the right amount of coverage. You talk to that agent, not the owner because this may drive up his rates and that's not something he wants. Squeaky wheel and all that. You have EVERYTHING to gain now and nothing more to loose.

The guy has to have insurance if he has a state business license. You can always sue him. If he's the one pushing not to pay - tell him you will stand in front (on the street) and protest his store and tell everyone what happened.

• Paewraul

Posted January 03, 2007 - 01:08 PM

It sucks what happened. Why dont you post the VIN #'s and I'll keep an eye out. One thing though... The responsibility is on him, not you. Don't feel bad about holding him responsible. sometimes you need to flex a little muscle to show you're serious and that you wont back down.

• Punisher660

Posted January 03, 2007 - 10:11 PM

Well, if their insurance doesn't cover it, then they're responsible for it out of their own pocket. This is open and shut. You don't even need a lawyer for this one. Put a lien on their business for whatever you feel is the "appropriate" amount. I hear '07's are going for around $7000 OTD...SC

Unfortunately through experiance, I can tell you this is not going to have a happy ending. I had the same thing happen to me when I was racing motocross - shop forgot to lock up the gate and my bike was stolen - I took the shop to court and won. I was out of pocket attourney fees and the shop declaired chapter 13. So I not only lost my bike, but was out $$$ for the lawyer.

They did catch the theives several months later......the bike was trashed and the theives were supposed to pay restitution ( to give you an idea of how trashed....they broke the footpeg off and welded on a piece of pipe in its place) - I never saw a dime of restitution. I did get the bike though (it cost me 2 seasons of racing and practice.....needless to say I was no longer able to stay competative. I have never had a machine of any kind uninsured since then.

I really do feel for you. Best of luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CheYuen

Posted January 04, 2007 - 10:38 AM

[quote name='Punisher660']I have never had a machine of any kind uninsured since then.QUOTE]
Who provides coverage for your bike? Is it your auto insurance provider or do you go through some sort of OHV insurance company? :lol: I will be looking into theft insurance for my WR soon!

• Stupendous

Posted January 04, 2007 - 11:36 AM

Who provides coverage for your bike? Is it your auto insurance provider or do you go through some sort of OHV insurance company? :lol: I will be looking into theft insurance for my WR soon!

I get my coverage through my insurance provider - USAA.

Get it NOW not soon. It's not that expensive if you do theft only.

• clark4131

Posted January 04, 2007 - 02:00 PM

I pay $14 a month for full coverage thru State Farm. If I break it, they'll fix it!...SC

• byggd

Posted January 04, 2007 - 02:53 PM

I pay $14 a month for full coverage thru State Farm. If I break it, they'll fix it!...SC

So if you blow the motor or lose 5th gear they will have it fixed? What's the deductable?

• drtbk4ever

Posted January 04, 2007 - 03:00 PM

So if you blow the motor or lose 5th gear they will have it fixed? What's the deductable?

Up here in Alberta I could have gotten "collision" coverage for my WR. So if you hit a tree they will cover the bike. I can't remember what the premium would have been, but the deductible was $1000, so I passed on the collision, just went with fire/theft.

• Punisher660

Posted January 04, 2007 - 03:23 PM

[quote name='CheYuen'][quote name='Punisher660']I have never had a machine of any kind uninsured since then.QUOTE]
Who provides coverage for your bike? Is it your auto insurance provider or do you go through some sort of OHV insurance company? :lol: I will be looking into theft insurance for my WR soon![/QUOTE]

I go through Progressive it runs $110 per year for my WR and YFZ; YZ85 and Blaster are $85 per year and the price goes down as the machines depreciate in value. An 07' would be more than an 04' for obvious reasons.

I have all the toys insured through Progressive. $500 dollar deductable (you can get $250 or $0 but at higher premiums of coarse)

Our quads (yes I said quads :confused: ) and bikes are all fully covered. Besides theft (which is the main reason I got it), it does cover more than you would expect. If me or one of the kids were to injure another rider while we were riding, it covers $30,000 for medical and damage - If we had an accident while trailering the bikes, they are covered, and of coarse theft and vandalism.

If your bikes were uninsured and God forbid you were in an accident with your tow vehicles.....the bikes are NOT covered by your auto policy. I'm not sure if it is this way in all states, but in Utah, if it has a motor and requires registration, it requires its own policy to be covered.

• clark4131

Posted January 04, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Not that kind of break, I wish. If I stack it, they'll fix it. $500 deductible...SC

• Moto5

Posted January 09, 2007 - 08:47 AM

Good luck getting it back.

• Ronbarbani

Posted January 09, 2007 - 04:51 PM

Still no luck:thumbsdn: :confused: :lol:

• Paewraul

Posted January 10, 2007 - 01:17 PM

No luck with the shop either? Go after em dude!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.