Spoke Question

4 replies to this topic
  • new2blu

Posted December 24, 2006 - 05:55 AM

Does anyone have a problem with the spokes in the rear wheel loosening about every ride? Is this normal? What could I use to loosen frozen (corroded) spoke nipples? The spoke nipples arefrozen to the spokes, I have tried visegrips on the spoke with a spoke wrench on the nipple--tried PBBlaster(penetrating oil). I'm not sure what else to try.

• Hot Rod Todd

Posted December 24, 2006 - 10:56 AM

try using heat (torch it), along with what you are already tring, this should work!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • new2blu

Posted December 24, 2006 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Todd--I will give that a try.

• texas_hippie

Posted December 29, 2006 - 06:14 PM

try using heat (torch it), along with what you are already tring, this should work!

Are you nuckin' futs? Heat is not the answer, especially with something as hot as a torch! Heat will do nothing more than damage the metal! Those spokes need to be relaced with new ones! As they are now, the corrosion on them poses a significant safety hazard when they fail.
If need be, cut them with diagonal cutters to get them out, then replace them. Relacing a wheel is a bitch if you don't know what you're doing, and getting them "true" is damn near impossible without the right tools. Spend the money, have a reputable dealer do it right the first time, and save yourself some aggravation.

• old man dan

Posted December 30, 2006 - 11:35 AM

First try taking the tire off and applying penetrating oil from the end of the nipple, then "a little" heat is pretty safe. The last time I checked you could only buy spokes as a complete set but maybe a shop that specializes in wheels (someone that does supermoto conversions?) could supply you with smaller quantities. Like texas hippie said, if they're badly corroded you should just cut them out and replace them. Do it one by one and you shouldn't have any problem.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.