dry sump question

8 replies to this topic
  • prichard

Posted December 24, 2006 - 04:09 AM

I purchased an 05 XR650R, my first machine with a dry sump. If I leave it set for a period of time, all the oil drains out of the frame and back into the crankcase. Do I need to drain the crankcase and dump the oil back into the frame before starting? If I just start it with all the oil in the crankcase, it seems it would take a while for the sump pump to push the oil up into the frame to provide oil to the main pump that provides oil for the engine. I just don't want to do any damage to the engine. Concerned about this if I let my machine set all winter and then start it up first nice day next spring. Thanks for any advice.

• porterdog

Posted December 24, 2006 - 07:15 AM

Nope, just start it and run it. As with any IC motor, don't run the piss out of it right after startup- get some heat into the motor first.

Don't worry about the oil issue, both the 400 and 650 have awesome reputations for longevity.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 24, 2006 - 07:57 AM

As long as you allow it to warm up properly the oil will be properly distributed when its ready to ride. Though its not a bad idea to change the oil after sitting all winter. Also its not a bear, and pigs do not hibernate, get out there and ride!!!!!!

• frankstr

Posted December 24, 2006 - 08:03 AM

Welcome to Thumpertalk, prichard....just start it and warm it up properly and check the oil after its hot...no worrys....

:thumbsup: :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted December 24, 2006 - 09:03 AM

Welcome to the fold, the BRP is a great bike, enjoy it.

• prichard

Posted December 25, 2006 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the info. As soon as the weather breaks, I'll get my piggy dug out, dust her off, and go see what I can tear up. Thanks again. Merry Christmas!!

• philipstjohn

Posted December 25, 2006 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the info. As soon as the weather breaks, I'll get my piggy dug out, dust her off, and go see what I can tear up. Thanks again. Merry Christmas!!

Start her, let her purr at low rmp's until the motor feels warm, then let her rip!:thumbsup:

• loufish

Posted December 25, 2006 - 07:49 PM

Do I need to drain the crankcase and dump the oil back into the frame before starting?

Yes, that's what every one of us does...:devil:

Does that make sense?

Sounds like there is plenty of oil in the sump pick-up to feed the engine, until oil gravity feeds back to the sump to feed the engine...and so on.:thumbsup:

• loufish

Posted December 25, 2006 - 07:50 PM

Do I need to drain the crankcase and dump the oil back into the frame before starting?

Yes, that's what every one of us does...:devil:

Does that make sense?

Sounds like there is plenty of oil in the sump pick-up to feed the engine, until oil gravity feeds back to the sump to feed the engine...and so on.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.