Just bought a 2000 426

28 replies to this topic
  • evomx244

Posted December 24, 2006 - 03:53 AM

Hey guys,
I just bought a 2000 426 on ebay (1482.00) It needs some freshing up (graphics, front and rear fenders, levers, grips and tires) but I hope to have no more than 1700-1800 in it. I ended up bidding on it, after reading all the good things people had to say about the 426's on this site. Any advise on these bikes would be greatly appreciated
Scott

• 642MX

Posted December 24, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Hey guys,
I just bought a 2000 426 on ebay (1482.00) It needs some freshing up (graphics, front and rear fenders, levers, grips and tires) but I hope to have no more than 1700-1800 in it. I ended up bidding on it, after reading all the good things people had to say about the 426's on this site. Any advise on these bikes would be greatly appreciated
Scott

Congrats on the purchase. Keep the oil fresh and the air filter clean and it should be a reliable bike. :thumbsup:

• red_rider_elsinore

Posted December 24, 2006 - 08:42 AM

Do an '01 clutch mod [eliminates grabbiness of the '00 clutch] and the BK mod [limits the AP squirt duration for a more responsive carb]. Keep an eye out for the counterbalancer woodruff key. I haven't done the '03 exhaust cam mod, but it is on my to do list. Also remember to check the valves' clearance.

• jayh300

Posted December 24, 2006 - 11:16 AM

learn the starting drill..... as mentioned keep maint up.....get a good service manual on it. never let it idle very long as they are way prone to overheat at idle.... make sure your coolant is up to spec. grin from ear to ear as you wheelie in any gear at any speed.
jay

• Fastest1

Posted December 24, 2006 - 12:54 PM

Go pick it up, have the owner start it first and WATCH what he does. Some need gas during the ritual, some dont. Mine didnt until I did the BK/GB Mod AND the Boysen cover. Now it needs a twist or two, I never would have done that before. Do watch the woodruff key and replace the timing chain just as a preventative. Enjoy!

• felix 222

Posted December 24, 2006 - 04:25 PM

read up on the starting process and frequently change the oil.

• buzzgrizz

Posted December 24, 2006 - 05:09 PM

Get starting drill down and enjoy.:thumbsup:

• torqueme

Posted December 24, 2006 - 05:30 PM

Congrats & welcome to the club! dump ALL the fluids-see what comes out & start fresh. Make sure the bike is mechanically sound & the fufu stuff can come later. if you keep it dirty nobody will notice the graphics anyway...have fun.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 25, 2006 - 09:21 AM

Congrats & welcome to the club! dump ALL the fluids-see what comes out & start fresh. Make sure the bike is mechanically sound & the fufu stuff can come later. if you keep it dirty nobody will notice the graphics anyway...have fun.

I agree...dump all the fluids and start fresh, and as many others have said learn the correct starting procedure...it will fire right up if you do it right, otherwise you might end up kicking it until the kickstarter falls off!

1) install an auto-decompression exhaust cam (Hotcams or an oem '03 450 cam)...it made my 426 easier to kick over than my RM125 with it's silly little short kick starter! (do a search...there are pages of info here about it)

2) Do the BK carb mod (again, do a search on here)

• felix 222

Posted December 25, 2006 - 12:24 PM

wait and see if you want the hot cam mod. i was going to buy one until i got a little experience on the bike. after a ride or 2, i got the process down and can start the bike 1st or 2nd kick everytime whether it's hot or cold.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kyle Prior

Posted December 25, 2006 - 03:22 PM

wait and see if you want the hot cam mod. i was going to buy one until i got a little experience on the bike. after a ride or 2, i got the process down and can start the bike 1st or 2nd kick everytime whether it's hot or cold.

Id say the same thing, I can start my bike very easily, and Im so used to it, I dont feel the need to waste the money on the 03 cam mod. Congrats on the purchase, the 426 is an amazing bike.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 25, 2006 - 04:32 PM

It benefits more than just making it easier to start. It also increases the low to mid-range power and if you happen to brake stall the bike when diving hard into a corner it will compression re-start itself like a two-smoker even if you are barely rolling.

• Fastest1

Posted December 26, 2006 - 07:02 AM

It benefits more than just making it easier to start. It also increases the low to mid-range power and if you happen to brake stall the bike when diving hard into a corner it will compression re-start itself like a two-smoker even if you are barely rolling.

It will also relight if you made the mistake of stalling it in the air.

• Phatjonny

Posted January 03, 2007 - 02:44 PM

Ditto, this is the single best mod I have done to my bike...If you have trouble believeing me or anyone else on this issue, just check out the sticky at the top of the forum to read about the hundreds of satisfied riders with one in their ride...

• Pincushion

Posted January 03, 2007 - 03:06 PM

The decomp cam is a must. Trying to perform 'The Drill' while stalled on a cliff is no fun.

I just experienced my first episode of woodruff key failure this year. If it starts clacking like crazy down by the water pump then replace it.

• yama02yz250f

Posted January 03, 2007 - 05:25 PM

i did the cam mod on my 250 and its great. I started it first kick before and had the procedure down...but jeez is it easy to start now. Im about to do it on my dads 426 soon to so he can experience the good life.

• evomx244

Posted January 03, 2007 - 05:57 PM

Thanks guys for the tips, I rode the bike this past weekend what a blast!! I'll post some pics after I put on the new 756's

• Old_604

Posted January 03, 2007 - 06:07 PM

So I'm, hopefully, about to pick on up as well. Same bike. An `00 426 that had been a hare scramble/enduro bike for a year or so and since then it's been parked. Literally since 2002.5 the bike has been on a bucket in a garage. Guy got a KTM525 and never rode this bike since.
So what sort of list of things that need to be doen to get this thing ready to ride? Dumping fluids etc.?

What would be a going price for this bike? It's in California.

• Kyle Prior

Posted January 03, 2007 - 07:20 PM

So I'm, hopefully, about to pick on up as well. Same bike. An `00 426 that had been a hare scramble/enduro bike for a year or so and since then it's been parked. Literally since 2002.5 the bike has been on a bucket in a garage. Guy got a KTM525 and never rode this bike since.
So what sort of list of things that need to be doen to get this thing ready to ride? Dumping fluids etc.?

What would be a going price for this bike? It's in California.

Unless he drained the fuel, you'll likely have to drain all the fuel, give the carb a very thorough cleaning, change all other fluids, probably lube all bearings, axles, and what not. For price, depending on what prep he did, and what condition its in, Id say anywhere from $1700-$2300 for a Cali bike.

• calvin71

Posted January 04, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Welcome to thumper, I have a 2000 426 and love it!! My bike use to over heat when at lond idle, but, what i did is purchased the boyesn wtare cover and peller and run engine ice for the coolant and this works very very nice!! I havent had an over heating problems.:lol: , also get a magnetic oil plug. And Ride it like you stole it:applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.