'08 Xr 650?

58 replies to this topic
  • rebelventurer

Posted December 26, 2006 - 11:05 AM

I am currently considering a dual sport, from the factory, purchase but I don't feel there are any good choices. I'm considering the KLR650, XR650L and DRZ400S. All have their good and very bad points to consider. The DRZ is probably the best off-road but the L isn't bad either. I just hate having to do all the mods to make them run decent.
I wish someone would make a XR650L type dual sport bike that would run great right from the show room floor but no one does at this time. The thing I like most about the L for all day dual sport rides, 170 miles or more, is the seat.

Dude yor crazy the KLR650 sucks in the dirt, its a street only dualsport! The seat on the L also leaves a lot to be desired, after a couple of hours I must get off and relieve the knumbness in the hind quarters, am considering a corbin but would prefer something between the corbin and the stock seat.

Also I have 10,000 shares of enron stock you can probably trade in on the new 1 stroke xr700 w dual flux capacitators, air levitation suspension and the coveted hover mode.:thumbsup:

• Whiteman

Posted December 26, 2006 - 02:14 PM

There will be no XR... It will be a CRF600Baja that will be street legal off the show room floor.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 26, 2006 - 02:42 PM

whiteman, once again, prove it! we can all speculate! what we are after here is some documented proof of whats to come!

• hill5150

Posted December 26, 2006 - 04:02 PM

There will be no XR... It will be a CRF600Baja that will be street legal off the show room floor.

I'll hold my breath........

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 26, 2006 - 10:11 PM

If the 650 was still going to be produced, someone from Honda would have ridden one in the 1000. Sales for the bike have taken a dump and big bore guys are buying the KTM 525.

• tomb1957

Posted December 26, 2006 - 11:27 PM

I love Honda, but they stay way to long with one design. Could be the XR series are so reliable they were putting themselves out of business in the open class. You buy a stock 650r you simple mod it, ride a couple of years then you go bigger with the mods. You end up keeping the bike for 5-7 years. If you go orange to keep up with the Jones, you buy one 1-2 years at best and spend you money on pure upkeep.

• simon@vic

Posted December 27, 2006 - 09:36 AM

^ a 525 exc will last allot longer then 1-2 years!

• eastreich

Posted December 27, 2006 - 10:17 AM

^ a 525 exc will last allot longer then 1-2 years!

Only with exquisite maintenance habits. If any other bike were treated the same way the vast majority of 650R's are treated, they wouldn't survive over 2 years. Period. Sure, you may find the exception every now and then, but the exception only helps to prove the rule in this situation.

I am probabaly going to buy a KTM for my next bike as well (525 XC). But it will be a "race weekend only" bike. I'll be keeping my 650R for a long, long time. I say this, because I don't trust Honda to come out with a CRF600X, or some similar large displacement bike. The 450X is too small. And the winning Baja CRF"450X" was an HRC special assembled in Japan, not by Bob Bell at Precision Concepts. Of course, maybe this means it was really a 500. Or 550. Or 600. I think that the 500 is the best guess. I say this because when (not if) the AMA goes back to conventional displacement classes http://www.thumperta...light=AMA rules (see this thread) with no difference between two and four strokes, it would make economic sense to run the 450's up to 500's as that would be the limit in the new open class (I hope they bring back the yellow numberplate backgrounds well they are at it).

We can only wonder until the Honda dealer convention in the fall.

As tight as they kept the lid on the CRF150R, I can guarantee that we will not know a thing until then.

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 27, 2006 - 09:50 PM

Only with exquisite maintenance habits. If any other bike were treated the same way the vast majority of 650R's are treated, they wouldn't survive over 2 years. Period. Sure, you may find the exception every now and then, but the exception only helps to prove the rule in this situation.

I am probabaly going to buy a KTM for my next bike as well (525 XC). But it will be a "race weekend only" bike. I'll be keeping my 650R for a long, long time. I say this, because I don't trust Honda to come out with a CRF600X, or some similar large displacement bike. The 450X is too small. And the winning Baja CRF"450X" was an HRC special assembled in Japan, not by Bob Bell at Precision Concepts. Of course, maybe this means it was really a 500. Or 550. Or 600. I think that the 500 is the best guess. I say this because when (not if) the AMA goes back to conventional displacement classes http://www.thumperta...light=AMA rules (see this thread) with no difference between two and four strokes, it would make economic sense to run the 450's up to 500's as that would be the limit in the new open class (I hope they bring back the yellow numberplate backgrounds well they are at it).

We can only wonder until the Honda dealer convention in the fall.

As tight as they kept the lid on the CRF150R, I can guarantee that we will not know a thing until then.

Who told you the 450 was not built by PC?

• InternalCombustion

Posted December 28, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Come on, guys, we're starting to sound like the crf150/230 forum, a bunch of pre-adolecent whiners, dissing each other's scoot. Get past it.

Yeah, it hurts that Honda is moving on, because that translates to the beloved 650r being replaced. Part of me is really pissed (read "wounded") but that's life. Just as the supreme-o xr600 was eventually replaced, competitive pressure means Honda either evolves or dies.

So please, let's get past the pissy attitudes and remember we're brothers here. Odds are pretty good that Honda is going to bring out a barn-burner to replace the 650r. Honda is not stupid, as much as we like to say otherwise.

Honda would be exiting a fairly large and visible global market if they did not replace the 650r with another big-bore. Whether it is a high-tech 2-stroke or a de-stroked 650, higher-reving, e-start with several market variants, they will not go backwards. They (nor we) will not be satisfied with a 450 class machine as their monster-killer.

Facts? Nobody has any facts except Honda, and we all know how Honda loves to keep secrets. Like the frankster said, '08 is a long way off. We'll wear ourselves out if we keep beating up each other over speculation.

Speculation is all we got right now, so please take a deep breath, and let's give each other a little slack. Me, I'm trying to figure how I can sneak another 650r into the garage (preferably still in the crate).

Ride safe, and Happy New Year, all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted December 29, 2006 - 02:33 PM

Infernalcombustion, I dont see any whining I see facts stated.
KTM's are high maintenance, and not as durable as an xr!
The dr800 does not exist in America! And looks like a plastic pooh pile!
No one actually knows what Honda is going to do!
Half the fun of this forum is reading the sometimes demented, and twisted opinions that poeple have, and then calling them on it! Usually get no response.
So let us pick each others comments apart, it will result in more accurate statements being made... eventually anyway!
Thoughts, anyone? Am I crazy or not?

• InternalCombustion

Posted January 02, 2007 - 06:36 AM

Infernalcombustion, I dont see any whining I see facts stated.
KTM's are high maintenance, and not as durable as an xr!
The dr800 does not exist in America! And looks like a plastic pooh pile!
No one actually knows what Honda is going to do!
Half the fun of this forum is reading the sometimes demented, and twisted opinions that poeple have, and then calling them on it! Usually get no response.
So let us pick each others comments apart, it will result in more accurate statements being made... eventually anyway!
Thoughts, anyone? Am I crazy or not?

Rebelventurer, I was not so much commenting on "whining" as I was commenting on some of the "dissing" that I was reading in this thread. I think you are absolutely right: let's stay with "facts" and when we stray from facts, let's make it clear it is our "opinion". I do not see a problem picking a person's comments apart unless we start picking the person apart.

I've been rich and I've been poor and I've cycled between those two points many times in my life. When I've been poor I've riden (and been proud of) bikes that most guys would consider to be only slightly better than junk. So I try not to run down anybody's ride, that's all. Yeah, the DR800 was not officially imported into the States but they do exist elsewhere. And there are a couple of them in the States, shipped over by guys that really like them.

All I was trying to say originally is that I thought the thread was getting a bit negative, especially considering the usual high-level of threads we see in our 600/650 forum. We have ourselves a great forum here, imho.

I was not finger-pointing and intended no harm to anyone in particular. I was just trying to remind everyone that there's a difference between disagreeing with someone's opinion and disrespecting someone's opinion.

Ride safe.

• themanoy

Posted January 02, 2007 - 06:54 AM

CRF600baja????????????? now thats gonna be a dumb move for honda! i cant imagine a 600cc desert racing machine having valve problems in the middle of a race. :confused: honda should replace the XR650L with a XR650R derived L version and make a new XR650/700/750/800 fuel injected one! not some super high maintainance can-be-considered-a-one-time-use-only big bore thumper!:lol:

• resslera

Posted January 02, 2007 - 07:07 AM

I don't doubt that the 650R will be dropped. The 450x is their new big-bore off-road bike as proven with Baja. Why would they sell two bikes aimed at the same market? Yeah, it would be cool if the XR650R were sold as a dual sport because who want to scream a bike to max revs on the street? I prefer chugging along at 65.

Maybe Honda will produce a dual sport version of the 450? KTM is doing it and I think it is going to be a hit. I can't say nobody wants a heavy dual-sport because some don't mind the 650L but I bet the majority wants a true dirtbike they can ride on the street.

I kind of view the 650R as a muscle car of an era that is probably going to die. The bike is overbuilt big time in the engine adding on a bit of weight. This overbuilding gives us unmatched durability however in the engine dept. I'm glad I got my bike when I did. I'm a little curious about what is coming next but in a way I'm not too bothered to see the 650R go because I had the opportunity to buy one new.

A

• Rethy

Posted January 02, 2007 - 07:07 PM

Whatever Honda comes out with will likely be an improvement. How about this. Go with a fuel injected 6 speed in the 650R (same basic motor). And top it off with the latest upgrades in the USD forks and shock as in the current CRF line. Make it street legal and you could dump the 650L-no offense. Oh, and to get the guys off a 650L you would have to add an electric start. That is all you need and the aftermarket companies will take care of the rest. This bike would sell. Or let me rephrase----I would buy this bike.------Rethy

• rmhrc630

Posted January 02, 2007 - 11:42 PM

You know what though - if Honda dont come out with a new big bore - and the 650R gets culled - what are Honda riders going to buy?

Honda is going to hold us to ransom for a few years I reckon till they invest some god damm time and money in a new better big bore.

I reckon they're lost - the product development guys must have rocks in their heads trying to sell me a 450X for wide open spaces and heavy loads.

• Hayden

Posted January 03, 2007 - 07:07 PM

I like my plated XRR and all but its not that great of a street bike for me. I personally am looking forward to a DRZ 650S. Now that would be sweet. How many water cooled 650 DS are out there????
KTMs LC4 that comes here in the USA in limited quanities. The TE610 now and also limited quanities. After that you have to go back to 93-96 to get a KLX 650. KLRs dont do it for me and the BMW GS is a bit heavy for what we are talking about so from a logical stand point........DRZ 650S:thumbsup:

Hayden

• Naru

Posted January 03, 2007 - 09:16 PM

This is a situation where everyone should 'expect the worst, enjoy anything better'. Honda is a very conservative company, and most likely this will be the last year for the big XR in current form. Ideally Honda would replace the L with the R, but new EPA regulations may prohibit that without a fuel injection upgrade (at least in California). And with Honda having publicly announced that they do not want to use FI on their motocross bikes, there would be no reason to invest the money for FI on a bike like this.

I have heard claims that a CRF600X absolutely exists and it combines the new-age performance of the CRF bikes with the reliability (read: steel valves and general over-engineering) of the XR legacy from one source I would consider very credible. If it's true, I highly doubt we will see any leaked information being that Honda is very good at keeping secrets. But it makes sense they would, to maintain their edge in Baja (cheating can only get you so far :confused: ). Rather it will be street legal though, if it does exist, is questionable at best.

All I'd say is, cross your fingers and pick yourself up an extra XR if you have an understanding wife. I have 3, and will love them until the day that.. err.. they're probably stolen out of my garage. Damn Kalifornia. :lol:

• rmhrc630

Posted January 03, 2007 - 09:24 PM

This is a situation where everyone should 'expect the worst, enjoy anything better'. Honda is a very conservative company, and most likely this will be the last year for the big XR in current form. Ideally Honda would replace the L with the R, but new EPA regulations may prohibit that without a fuel injection upgrade (at least in California). And with Honda having publicly announced that they do not want to use FI on their motocross bikes, there would be no reason to invest the money for FI on a bike like this.

I have heard claims that a CRF600X absolutely exists and it combines the new-age performance of the CRF bikes with the reliability (read: steel valves and general over-engineering) of the XR legacy from one source I would consider very credible. If it's true, I highly doubt we will see any leaked information being that Honda is very good at keeping secrets. But it makes sense they would, to maintain their edge in Baja (cheating can only get you so far :confused: ). Rather it will be street legal though, if it does exist, is questionable at best.

All I'd say is, cross your fingers and pick yourself up an extra XR if you have an understanding wife. I have 3, and will love them until the day that.. err.. they're probably stolen out of my garage. Damn Kalifornia. :lol:

Great post Naru - I'm awaiting the time when as with 600s, people start modifying the hell out of 650Rs I'm ever contemplating buying one just so I can do mods - you know - install CRF forks, better brakes etc, but then I look at what I did to my 628 and it is enough for now.

• uncleroby

Posted February 15, 2007 - 07:17 AM

Even in Europe we have very restrictive regulation for emission.
For motorcycle the new regulation is "Euro 3".
HM, the firm importing CRFs in Italy, applies FI on the X models in order to respect Euro 3.
Euro 2 models can be sold till 2008 than it will not possible to sell them.
Probably Honda will come out with a new model ready to be sold in 2008.

I cross my fingers...

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.