New WR426 owner, help me build it

9 replies to this topic
  • Bent6

Posted December 23, 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hello blue boys. I just bought a '01 WR426 for cheap, and I have about $1000 to throw at it after I sell my old spare bike ('01 CR250). The WR plastic is beat, but it runs great just needs new plastic and plenty of TLC. I currently have a '03 CRF450R that I love. The WR will be plated as a dual sport bike. I love the power of the CRF. If there is any way to get the WR to run like the CRF for reasonable cost, I'll do it. The WR is peppy but does not pull the front tire like the CRF (any gear, any rpm, any speed). The WR has had all the free mods performed with a gutted stock muffler. The CRF has a stock muffler with a PMB screened and baffled end cap. That set up is about perfect for me. What is the best option for a mid noise level set up. I'm thinking a stock YZF muffler with PMB cap. I did get a loud aftermarket muffler with the bike. The previous owner said the bike was much faster with it on the bike.

What about the plastic? I like the YZ fender with small bolt on tailight. I'd love to do the bike in yellow with retro grafics. Is yellow an option? What about the gas tank/can I get a yellow YZ one?

What about auto decompressors? How much does it cost to do? I believe it requires a cam swap, but I'm comfortable with that.

Thanks a bunch. I hope to document this project on this forum. I'll get some pictures up in a few days.

• dbleon

Posted December 23, 2006 - 08:52 PM

I'm suprised the wr doesn't keep with the crf. I have a wr426f and i can stay side by side to my buddies crf 450. Do you have all the free mods done? If not do those first. As far as plastics all the yz stuff will bolt right on. id definately go to an aftermarket pipe, i have an fmf q2 with a powerbomb header, and it makes great power compared to my old white brothers e2 that i had on there... and it still sound good and is reasonably quiet. After that get some jetting done and youl run with the crf! But then again I bleed blue!

• ffgman

Posted December 24, 2006 - 02:45 AM

If you stay side by side with your buddies cr450 it is because you are a better pilot. If all things were equall, drag racing on asphault, rider weight the same etc-etc, that cr would be so far ahead or you he would leave a vapor trail, especially to a wr 426. I also bleed blue, but I cant bul____ a fellow wr owner. Do the basis mods and call it good. Merry christmas and happy new year.

• wire it

Posted December 24, 2006 - 06:46 AM

Definitely go with the 03 yz450 exhaust cam(I paid 122 for mine) or with a hotcams. You'll love it.

• byggd

Posted December 24, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Definitely go with the 03 yz450 exhaust cam(I paid 122 for mine) or with a hotcams. You'll love it.

I agree. One of the best mods I did to my 02. Gives the bike better hit at all RPM's! Here are some links to help you along.
http://i18.photobuck...pg?t=1166978235
http://i18.photobuck...pg?t=1166978365

Also, see if the BK mod has been done. Stock the acc pump sprays for almost three seconds :thumbsup: WAY too long!
http://www.thumperfaq.com/ap_mods.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bent6

Posted December 24, 2006 - 09:00 AM

Does this include the decompressor mechanism? Is the cam assembly all I need to buy?

Is it possible to buy a yellow gas tank? What is the range with the YZF gas tank?

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted December 24, 2006 - 10:56 AM

Stick a YZ desert tank on and a YZ seat. The stock YZ tank is like 1.6-1.8 if I remember correctly, not much petro for dual sporting. I have a clear Clarke on my YZ426 and am very happy. I once rode 112 miles on a tank with gas left over.

• Birdy426

Posted December 24, 2006 - 11:00 AM

Clark and IMS both make yellow stock YZ (2.8 gal) and oversize (3.4 gal) yzf tanks. To bolt one up on a WR, you must also use the YZF seat. You will be amazed at how much this mod alone improves the handling of the bike. As far as the rest of the plastics, you can use all YZF stuff from One Industries (Hurricane kit) or Polysport. No one makes a yellow WR fender, so you will have to use a YZF fender and an aftermarket tail light like the Baja Designs or UFO under the fender mount units. Take a look at my WR in my garage to see what I'm talking about. The other issue for color change is the headlight. Some folks have used the Krylon plastic specific paint (it's a good color match for the One Industries kit). The other option is an aftermarket unit from UFO or Acerbis. Again, take a look at my WR. I run the acerbis DHH. It's ok for an occasional night put on dirt roads and pavement, but sucks for any real night riding...good thing I don't do much of it!

As far as a performance boost, my motor has a Luke's Racing 444 big bore kit with 13.5:1 hi comp piston (425 bucks from Lukesracing.com), hot cams intake and auto-decomp exhaust cams (249 bucks on e-bay), a stock YZF pipe with PMB S/A and Quiet Insert (140 bucks total from various places...pipe was a freebie), JD Jet Kit ( approx 70 bucks from TT Store), powernow (65 bucks on sale from Chaparral), a mild port job (150 bucks from Eric Gorr, Forwardmotion.com), and a powershot (79 bucks on e-bay). Also has the gray wire cut, BK mod done, and the ACV blocked.

It has no problem beating CRF450s, WR450s and YZF450s that are stock or reasonably close. With my girth (approx 250 lbs), it won't loft the front wheel in 5th gear, but will in first thru fourth. It will also chug up just about anything in third gear. Those mods will, however, consume your grand and leave no room for plastics, etc.

I accumulated all these mods one at a time (except the porting, JD jet kit, and big bore kit, which were done at a major rebuild). In terms of bang for buck, obviously, do the free mods (though yours are already done). Then, if you can find a stock pipe, cheap, it really wakes the bike up. I would expect that an aftermarket pipe will do even more, but at a much higher cost. The Hot Cams really are great. Best 240 bucks you can spend on the motor, in my opinion. The autodecomp feature alone is worth the price of admission, but the extra hit in the middle (with no noticable impact to bottom end) and the extra pull on top are great. (Try setting your stock cam to YZ timing as discussed in an above post. The Hot Cams give you bottom end like your stock WR, with the mid range hit and even more overrev than the YZF cam timing) A High Comp piston on stock bore gives a pretty evan boost all across the powerband. That combo (pipe, hot cams, and hi comp piston) will give you plenty of poop to do what you need, but the motor is considerably more...uuummm...hyper than the stock WR. It really likes to rev, and traction was, at times, problematic. The big bore kit slowed things down a little bit due to the heavier piston, and made the bike much easier to ride in the tight twisties. The JD jet kit cleans things up across the rpm prange once you get the jetting dialed in. All together, a great package. The only thing I would not do if I had to do it over again would be the power now. It made the bike much easier to start wit the non-autodecomp cam, but with the auto decomp cam, I don't think it's a necessary expenditure.

With all the mods to the motor, I ended up going up a tooth on the countershaft sprocket, because the bottom end just made it too hard to hook up!

• dbleon

Posted December 24, 2006 - 11:52 AM

If you stay side by side with your buddies cr450 it is because you are a better pilot. If all things were equall, drag racing on asphault, rider weight the same etc-etc, that cr would be so far ahead or you he would leave a vapor trail, especially to a wr 426. I also bleed blue, but I cant bul____ a fellow wr owner. Do the basis mods and call it good. Merry christmas and happy new year.

When i ride supermoto, i CAN stay up with any bike out there, even the new yz 450. I'e passed so many crf riders that flat out can't handle thier bike. to me its more about how you ride not what you ride. Don't get me wrong, right out of the crate, the yz and crf's kill it, but the 426 is a potent engine... and dont forget that!

• Bent6

Posted December 24, 2006 - 06:58 PM

This is what I want it to look like http://www.imsproducts.com/yzf426.cfm :thumbsup: Funny IMS shows a yellow tank but doesn't list it. Graphics are One Industries Hurricane. Love the black wheels, but won't be doing them due to cost. I will be painting the frame gray. I already have a universal tailight with built in turn signals for the YZF fender, though I prefer the looks of the LED light without turns.

I believe I can get a new '03 YZF 450 cam for less than $100. Does the Hot Cams cam make better power than this. Lots of my WR's hardrware is is mismatched or otherwise wrong. What is the best option for a bolt kit? I've seen the ones on ebay, but I doesn't seem like a good deal for the $45 it costs with shipping. There doesn't seem to be lots of hardware in those kits.

What about the kicker? Am I correct in recalling that some guys were breaking the kickers on early Yamaha 4-strokes?

Thanks Again for the great replies so far.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.