how can I put a key ignition on my wr450f?

38 replies to this topic
  • drzjay400e

Posted December 23, 2006 - 06:24 PM

:thumbsup: I have a wr450f street legal and want to put an ignition and a speedo on it. Any good suggestions that others have done?
Thanks Jason

• MountainMax

Posted December 31, 2006 - 02:42 PM

You sure can, I used a stock yamaha one from a ttr125 and custom made the mount. I then cut off the stock plug from the switch and used it on the ignition one, looks and works great, imho.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• spick

Posted January 02, 2007 - 05:18 AM

I used the same ignition but didn't cut the wires. They will easily pop out of the plug using a hairpin. That way I can easily switch it back if needed.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted January 02, 2007 - 06:46 AM

I haven't done the key thing, but I am using a analog speedometer for a 2001 XT 350 Yamaha. It hooks right up to the WR cable and even came with a light. I hooked that uo to the headlight. I have over 5000 miles on my 03 and it hasn't given me any worries.:lol:
Jim

• GMC3500HD

Posted January 06, 2007 - 05:02 AM

I Have Seen An Ignition Cylinder For The Wr. I'm Pretty Sure Baja Designs Made It.

• MountainMax

Posted January 06, 2007 - 07:10 AM

Yes they do, however if you are like me and can get a proper Yamaha key for your yammy, then buy the ttr one and make it fit.

• boer

Posted January 06, 2007 - 08:46 PM

That's pretty cool MountainMax.:lol:

Can you remember the part no for the key ignition for the TTR? Do you have some more pics of the mount you made?

• waynus

Posted January 06, 2007 - 09:52 PM

Our bikes in Oz come fitted with a keyed ignition. In the spares kit is a push button switch that we can bolt directly in it's place should we so desire.
So what I'm saying is that Yamaha does a genuine keyed switch that will bolt straight on and plug straight in. I'd let you have mine but it's the only way to stop my boys joy riding while I'm at work:naughty:

• MountainMax

Posted January 07, 2007 - 10:11 AM

Well i have found [COLOR="Red"]NO-ONE[/COLOR] in australia has been able to provide us with part numbers so I tend to not bother whith what they say, they have been asked many,many times for numbers but no one comes up with any, even if we go to the aussie yamaha site we only find the same info and same bike we have here in canada, no signal lights, no keyed ignition, etc.... What i done was cut the stock push button switch off it's mount, and cut the mount the new switch came with, and welded the two together, then you can cut/solder the new ignition to the old harness/connnector or pull out the terminals and swap them around, not too hard for anyone to do. then you have a nice Yamaha Key in stock location.

Anyhow, what I done was by the ttr ignition switch # 5HP-82510-00-00

here is pic item #16
http://parts.yamaha-...ifx?d=80931,2,0
Posted Image

• waynus

Posted January 07, 2007 - 11:47 AM

I'll have a go. I'll try and pop into the Yammy shop and get them to look it up. :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted January 07, 2007 - 11:49 AM

right on Waynus, Hope you can find something out for us, while youre there what about the signal lights they put on the wr's down there at the dealer to make them street legal also..........

• tommy06

Posted January 07, 2007 - 12:06 PM

you connected it to the kill switch? pretty easy to crack huh..

• waynus

Posted January 07, 2007 - 11:53 PM

right on Waynus, Hope you can find something out for us, while youre there what about the signal lights they put on the wr's down there at the dealer to make them street legal also..........

I've been at work all day so didn't read your post re signal lights but that should be an easy fix with aftermarket stuff? Anyway I was hanging on the phone for 20 mins whilst they looked up the ignition switch and gave me this...

5UM8251020AD.

There must be an easier way.
Hope this helps in some way

• spritefiend

Posted February 14, 2007 - 11:22 AM

MountainMax, good job on the part number :censored: should be exactly what im looking for!

John.

• MountainMax

Posted February 14, 2007 - 01:31 PM

glad to hear, maybe you can give me some gas on the gas icon, :censored:

• spritefiend

Posted February 14, 2007 - 01:39 PM

gotta ante up first $$ :censored:

just read about it, been off the site for a while now.. few new things going on. cool stuff, definitely a post worth a kudos :ride:

• ddialogue

Posted February 15, 2007 - 07:23 PM

You sure can, I used a stock yamaha one from a ttr125 and custom made the mount. I then cut off the stock plug from the switch and used it on the ignition one, looks and works great, imho.

You guys and your fancy-smancy cool speedos.. :censored:

This is how I setup the TTR keyswitch on my WR back in late 2004:

Posted Image

Of course, I had plenty of room to work with! :ride:

• bigbully

Posted February 16, 2007 - 03:41 PM

Any ideas for putting either the same switch in a somewhat hidden location or putting a 2nd switch somewhere? Hopefully, it would be a little more theft proof if there was another switch that only you knew about.

• BigIan

Posted March 10, 2007 - 12:26 AM

How well protected is tha back of that switch Max? Does it need to be weather/mud proofed?

• MountainMax

Posted March 10, 2007 - 07:07 AM

Let me look and see, but i think is't fine, sealed up im sure..........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.