Can a YZ450 be turned into a WR450

3 replies to this topic
  • snowdog

Posted December 23, 2006 - 05:25 PM

would swaping out the sprockets make it more woods friendly?

what size would work the best on the front/rear?

• Fullbore4

Posted December 23, 2006 - 05:52 PM

1st through 3rd primary on a YZ are taller gears and 4th and 5th are shorter.......different gearing altogether. Secondary on a YZ is 49/13 stock and on a WR its 50/14 (a bit taller). A bigger flywheel on a YZ will give more bottom end and help prevent stalling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted December 23, 2006 - 06:12 PM

would swaping out the sprockets make it more woods friendly?

what size would work the best on the front/rear?

I run 12-52 on my 06 YZ 450. I also run a rekluse with rear hand brake, an 18 inch rear wheel, wide pegs, IRC VE tires, resprung/revalved suspension, GYTR full skid plate, Unibiker rad guards and Clarke tank coming soon. This has turned my YZ into an off road weapon. I like the feel better than I did on my WR, but at times I do miss the 'happy button', kickstand and headlight...but not much.

• snowdog

Posted December 24, 2006 - 06:20 AM

thanks, i found some post on the YZ fourm where they were taking WR 5 speed trans. gear sets and putting them into 4 speed YZ's

sounds expensive though. i was thinking i could get another rear wheel set up with a taller sprocket for woods riding and swap it back it if i go out to the track for some air time. i like the 18 inch wheel idea.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.