General bearing puller????

7 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted December 22, 2006 - 06:36 PM

Last week or so, I installed new front wheel bearings. Now it looks like my rear's need to be replaced.

I can't get any room to get in a punch to drive either bearing out. Can I use a general wheel bearing puller to get it out???

Is this something I can get at any Pep Boys or any other Auto parts store??

Let me know what is needed and any tips you have.

Thanx

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:06 PM

You should be able to slide the distance spacer off center far enough to use a punch.

The bearing puller you would use is known as a blind bearing puller, and incorporates a slide hammer. You might find such a thing at Pep Boys, but I doubt it.

• flintlock28

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:20 PM

Thanks gray, I didn't fool with it too much, but it felt like the distance spacer wasn't moving. It also looks like the previous owner had replaced the rear bearings before (i.e. there are some scrape marks on the side of the hub)

I just wanted to check the rear, and sure enough, they don't even spin.....
I also found that "Jesus clip" to be a real pain to get out. I'm going to try to move the spacer, and see what happens.

The Yammi manual called for a "general bearing puller", is this the type that has fingers that go inside the bearing, and then you screw in a center post that pulls out the bearing???

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:57 PM

Since there is nothing in the center for a pressure screw to bear against, that wouldn't work. A puller made with expanding jaws on a draw screw inside a sleeve that would bear on the outside of the bearing pocket would, though.

I think you can make the punch work. If not on one bearing first, then the other.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted December 22, 2006 - 08:00 PM

O.k. just came back from the garage....the spacer doesn't want to budge. What are my options to make it move without destroying it?? Can I soak it in WD-40 overnight, and try again in the Morning??, maybe a wooden dowel placed at an angle can be hammered in to shove it off center.??? Out of ideas...

I guess if worse comes to worse, I could use my Dremel with a grinding disc to eat away one of the bearings???

by the way... the front wheel's spacer was very easy to move around....Not this one.

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2006 - 09:50 PM

You can try taking a socket or something and give one of the inner races a good smack toward the other side, which will drive the race against the spacer against the opposite race, and may loosen things up some.

Once, in an extreme case, I opened the bearing up on one side, cut open the ball cage, and removed the balls and inner race. That gave me access to the opposite bearing. But then, I had to work the inner race and balls back into the first side well enough to drive it out. Something of a pain, but it worked.

• SXP

Posted December 22, 2006 - 10:34 PM

You should be able to slide the distance spacer off center far enough to use a punch.

The bearing puller you would use is known as a blind bearing puller, and incorporates a slide hammer. You might find such a thing at Pep Boys, but I doubt it.

Autozone "rents" a set out free of charge. They hold a $150 deposit on your CC until you return it. I used their blind bearing puller to remove one of the bearings in the left engine case that doesn't have access to it from both side.

• flintlock28

Posted December 23, 2006 - 12:52 PM

Thanks guy's for the help......I got lucky and tried the socket recommendation, than switched over to a punch and hammer. Worked fine, and the new bearings are installed. I'm assuming the Bellray Waterproof grease I used is good stuff?

Don
'

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.