Lowering your 250X -- ESP Suspension

35 replies to this topic
  • Old-Man

Posted December 22, 2006 - 04:04 PM

I know it's been talked about a lot on the board, but we lowered my wifes 250X the right way now. We had a Kouba lowering link on it, and it never felt right to me. We took the bike into ESP Suspension in La Cresenta, CA to have him lower it 3" and respring, and revalve it. Just got it back today. Man it feels like he did a nice job on it. I can't wait to see how she likes it. I'm now pushing her to do my 450X in a few months. :thumbsup:

• the white stallion

Posted December 22, 2006 - 06:10 PM

Man 3'' is alot.I asked some questions one day at a suspension shop ,and he wouldn't lower my bike 3'' he said 2'' is alot.Didn't have the cash anyway, so i went with the kouba.I'm pretty happy with it.I can't remember how much i got out of it I think 2''-2.5'' with a gel seat.I think the seat is about 35'' now.
Also raised the forks,seems good to me.I wouldn't notice if something was missing anyway.No head shake though.

• Old-Man

Posted December 22, 2006 - 06:51 PM

Man 3'' is alot.I asked some questions one day at a suspension shop ,and he wouldn't lower my bike 3'' he said 2'' is alot.Didn't have the cash anyway, so i went with the kouba.I'm pretty happy with it.I can't remember how much i got out of it I think 2''-2.5'' with a gel seat.I think the seat is about 35'' now.
Also raised the forks,seems good to me.I wouldn't notice if something was missing anyway.No head shake though.

Yes, 3" is a lot. That's the max all the shops told me. I would never do it to my bike, but for my wife it's not going to be a issue at all. She will never get big air on it, and she's not all that big. The main thing was getting her feet on the ground. Since the bike is set-up for a 120 lbs person, I will have to see what my fat butt does to it.

• the white stallion

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:05 PM

Yes, 3" is a lot. That's the max all the shops told me. I would never do it to my bike, but for my wife it's not going to be a issue at all. She will never get big air on it, and she's not all that big. The main thing was getting her feet on the ground. Since the bike is set-up for a 120 lbs person, [I will have to see what my fat butt does to it.]

huh oh!:thumbsup:

• coffee

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Yes 3" is a lot... if it is not too personal how tall?

• Old-Man

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:18 PM

Yes 3" is a lot... if it is not too personal how tall?

My wifes 5' 5" but not long legs. She's not a real good rider, so she wants both feet to touch the ground. We were able to do that with lowering it 3" and shaving the seat about another 1 1/2". She has a crf230 that sat about just right for her with a kouba link on it. Now the 250X sits about the same as that. I'm guessing now that the 250X is lowered my daughter will want to ride it a lot also. I'm going to pull it out tomorrow and beat on it a little going up and down the block. I want to see if my 230 pound fat butt will bottom it out going off of the curb or jumping up it. We will take it out in a few weeks to see how it does in the dirt.

• coffee

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:21 PM

I have short legs too - been thinking about this.

• SKysource1

Posted December 23, 2006 - 02:23 PM

How much did the lowering cost?

• Old-Man

Posted December 23, 2006 - 02:32 PM

How much did the lowering cost?

It was not just lowered. They revalved it and resprung it also. You will be looking at about $700 for any shop to do it. I could of saved $85 by bring in the shock and forks, but I want them to set the sag and have it just right for my wife. I could of also saved some money if i didn't put new seals on it. I thought since he's doing all the rest I will spend the few bucks on new seals also.

I took it out on the street today. I thought with it being set-up for a 120 lb. person I could bottom it since it's lowered 3". At 230 lbs. it never bottomed jumping up and down the curb. Not to say it will not out riding with me on it, but just not on the little bit I rode it. I don't think my wife will ever bottom it out.

• coffee

Posted December 23, 2006 - 06:53 PM

Good info. Would not object to a pic at some point. Have never seen a bike lowered that much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old-Man

Posted December 23, 2006 - 06:54 PM

You will get some pictures after santa puts new plastics on it.

• Old-Man

Posted December 23, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I rode a 450X that was lowered I think 2 1/2" by ESP. I rode it for about 30 minutes on the trails and never bottomed it out. I think if it's done right, you can ride it hard. To bad you're not close by coffee, I would like you ride it.

• RedRyno

Posted December 23, 2006 - 07:12 PM

Someday if I beg enough I'd like to ride it?

• Old-Man

Posted December 23, 2006 - 07:16 PM

Someday if I beg enough I'd like to ride it?

It has no training wheels on it RedRyno. :thumbsup:

• RedRyno

Posted December 23, 2006 - 08:57 PM

:thumbsup: I'm riding without them for a month now

• coffee

Posted December 23, 2006 - 09:28 PM

I rode a 450X that was lowered I think 2 1/2" by ESP. I rode it for about 30 minutes on the trails and never bottomed it out. I think if it's done right, you can ride it hard. To bad you're not close by coffee, I would like you ride it.

You have much fuel, now I know why. Any time your in the bay area let me know, we have bikes you can ride if your on a business trip up here and don't have your bike with you, or visiting people or whatever.... :thumbsup:

• Old-Man

Posted December 24, 2006 - 07:14 AM

:thumbsup: I'm riding without them for a month now

You know you can ride it any time.

• Old-Man

Posted December 24, 2006 - 07:16 AM

You have much fuel, now I know why. Any time your in the bay area let me know, we have bikes you can ride if your on a business trip up here and don't have your bike with you, or visiting people or whatever.... :thumbsup:

Thank you for the offer.

• bottomfeeder2

Posted December 24, 2006 - 10:01 AM

I stopped by ESP on Friday. I think I saw your bike. George said it was due to be picked up Friday. If it's the same one, he did a great job. He said you shaved the seat yourself. You did a nice job on it.

I'm taking my wife's new bike in on Tuesday (after Santa delivers the bike to my wife tomorrow).

I hope your wife is happy with it!

• Old-Man

Posted December 24, 2006 - 02:38 PM

I stopped by ESP on Friday. I think I saw your bike. George said it was due to be picked up Friday. If it's the same one, he did a great job. He said you shaved the seat yourself. You did a nice job on it.

I'm taking my wife's new bike in on Tuesday (after Santa delivers the bike to my wife tomorrow).

I hope your wife is happy with it!

Was it the bike that looked like crap? If so that was it. I took the graphics off of it thinking I was going to put the new ones I have on it right away. But then came my 450X and my wife got this bike. The deal was I would lower it for her and put new plastics on it. It's now lowered and santa has the plastics for her. Our bike was sitting in by the rack with tires on it when we came to pick it up. Did you get a chance to sit on it? Man I think George did a nice job on it. The seat was easy to shave. I'm going to clean it up just a little more and put a new all black seat cover on it, if it ever shows up. I order it a week before X-Mas from Cycle Gear and they never told me it's not in stock. :devil: Santa is also bring some new hardguards for it. When I'm done cleaning it up, it should look better then new. :thumbsup:

What bike did Santa get your wife?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

crf230f or crf250x what should i buy? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

If you had to vote a 250f most reliable by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  37 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF250X 2013 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF250X 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 1 review
  • Last review by UncleKnobbly
  • On October 07, 2014
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies
Forums
Photo

what should i buy? 230f or 250x? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250X
  • Hot  27 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.