clutch pressure plate torque on 650L?

2 replies to this topic
  • xlr8r

Posted December 22, 2006 - 11:02 AM

Hey guys, I have a 2001 650L that I'm puting back together and I can't find any torque values for the clutch pressure plate bolts in the manual. I found a general torque value for 10mm bolts (which they are) of 25 ft lbs. That seems a bit high to me since there are springs involved. Anyone know? Is there a general torque rule for all clutch bolts?
Thanks for the help!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted December 22, 2006 - 11:38 AM

Hey guys, I have a 2001 650L that I'm puting back together and I can't find any torque values for the clutch pressure plate bolts in the manual. I found a general torque value for 10mm bolts (which they are) of 25 ft lbs. That seems a bit high to me since there are springs involved. Anyone know? Is there a general torque rule for all clutch bolts?
Thanks for the help!

The general torque value is based on the size of the threaded part of the bolt, not the head of the bolt. The 10mm hex head bolts on the clutch are actually 6mm bolts. They will strip long before 25 ft-lbs. I think that the spec for 6mm bolts in aluminum is 9 ft-lbs.

• xlr8r

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Yup, that sounds right. I knew it was a dumb question as I typed it. Thanks for the answer!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.