03 YZ450F Problem!Need Help!!

5 replies to this topic
  • christoswr

Posted December 22, 2006 - 05:58 AM

Hi,
i bought my first 4-stroke 2 weeks ago and i have 2 problems.
30 seconds after i start the bike the header exhaust gets red hot.I dont know many things about 4-strokes but it doesnt seem right to me.
The other problem is that the bike doesnt idle well.Actually it idles but all of a sudden the revs go up.After a while they go down and up again.
Does the bike need valve adjustment or is it something else?
When i ride the bike it goes really well but these two problems worry me allot!

• yami racer

Posted December 22, 2006 - 06:15 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=236304

• King_Air

Posted December 22, 2006 - 06:19 AM

Well, before everybody jump on you about the header pipe glowing I will say to not worry about it. It is completly normal for these bikes to do that. They do not like to set still at idle much. As far as the idle changing rpm I will someone else with some more experince answer that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • christoswr

Posted December 22, 2006 - 09:00 AM

Well, before everybody jump on you about the header pipe glowing I will say to not worry about it. It is completly normal for these bikes to do that. They do not like to set still at idle much. As far as the idle changing rpm I will someone else with some more experince answer that.

Thanks.I hope someone can help me with the idle thing!

• jbrooks26

Posted December 22, 2006 - 11:32 AM

Hanging idle is normally a sign of a lean pilot circuit, try adjusting the fuel screw out 1/4 turn at a time to see if it clears up. If not, then an inconsistent idle can be caused by air leaks. Try spraying carb cleaner around the air boots on the carb to see if you can generate a higher rev. When you spray an air leak the revs will run up on you and you will know where to seal it up. Hope this helps, these are not all of the possibilities I am sure but they are the only ones that pop into my head at the moment.

Josh

• christoswr

Posted December 22, 2006 - 11:54 AM

Hanging idle is normally a sign of a lean pilot circuit, try adjusting the fuel screw out 1/4 turn at a time to see if it clears up. If not, then an inconsistent idle can be caused by air leaks. Try spraying carb cleaner around the air boots on the carb to see if you can generate a higher rev. When you spray an air leak the revs will run up on you and you will know where to seal it up. Hope this helps, these are not all of the possibilities I am sure but they are the only ones that pop into my head at the moment.

Josh

I'll try that tomorrow.
Thanks for the help!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.