Tank Graphics

15 replies to this topic
  • DIAZ

Posted June 14, 2002 - 12:46 PM

I just ordered new fenders for my 98 XR400 from Denniskirk.com and now I need new graphics. I was thinking about staying witht he original design but I would also like to see what others manufacturers have to offer. Any ideas???

• secretatlas

Posted June 14, 2002 - 12:59 PM

yah,
try going bare a#*.
i've never had tank graphics on my xrs because the stock ones are made to peal right off (with the popularity of aftermarket graphics honda assumes we will want to replace the stock graphics so they make them cheap and expendable).

that, combined with the fact that the aftermarket graphics designers seem to put little effort into xr graphics, unlike motocross bikes. infact i think the only graphics worse than those out there for the xr are ski graphics...horrible eurotrash designs that have not caught up to the new school.

snowboarders and motocrossers get cool graphics.
skiers and xr riders are either stuck with eurotrash clown puke, or can set their own standard and run the red pigs in the nude. i go for number 2!

• xrMike

Posted June 14, 2002 - 01:07 PM

>skiers and xr riders are either stuck with
>eurotrash clown puke, or can set their own
>standard and run the red pigs in the nude.

My stock tank graphics are getting thrashed too, and like you, I haven't seen any aftermarket stuff I like either. I'm thinking about doing the same thing...

• kiethco

Posted June 14, 2002 - 09:02 PM

I have a 98 400, I just went with the One Industries white graphic and seat combo. I like how the lines flow from tank to seat. If I had it to do over, I would have bought a black tank when I went to the 4 gallon IMS and added black fenders etc. I fall alot and black would hide the scratches!

• trooper8

Posted June 15, 2002 - 04:44 AM

Agreed, the XR graphics from most vendors are not too cool. I've got white plastic and have been trying to find something that would look good.

I've been looking at N-style, Slik, One Industries, etc. I have mocked up some images on an xr400 w/white plastics, but they're at work.

If you want to compare notes shoot me an email at NOSPAMtrooper8@yahoo.com (obviously drop the NOSPAM) and I'll send you copys of the pictures.

• Xenracer

Posted June 15, 2002 - 11:47 AM

check out Stroker for XR graphics...
they are pretty cool...

• Manks

Posted June 16, 2002 - 07:37 AM

Quote: "skiers and xr riders are either stuck with eurotrash clown puke, or can set their own standard and run the red pigs in the nude. i go for number 2"

You are very, very unwell aren't you. I know this because only the very sick could come up with a phrase like "Eurotrash Clown Puke". Genius.

I have just put the One Industries decals on my 400. They remind me of Christmas. Think its the Santa Claus red with the ickle white dots all over. They look marginally less s*** than the Werx ones I took off. Marginally.

[ June 16, 2002: Message edited by: Manks ]

• White_Lightning

Posted June 16, 2002 - 12:44 PM

The bad part about running no graphics is tank wear from your knees. Once you wear the smooth gloss off that area it is forever dirty, especially on white plastic. I just buy the OEM replacement decals from F/X, any year, because they are heavy duty, last a long time, are made to take abuse and they protect the tank from knee wear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • secretatlas

Posted June 16, 2002 - 05:50 PM

white light: yep, i have a once white, now dirty cream, IMS 4gal tank for sale somewhere on this page. good point.

manks: sorry about the incidental rogering i may have given you and your comrades on the other side of the pond. no offense on the eurotrash comment. Hope it didn’t bring you to fisticuffs. :)
sounds like you must be running the santa on acid graphics kit from one industries.

• TEAM_SCOTT/SHAWSON

Posted June 17, 2002 - 07:13 AM

email me @ aceny1@monmouth.com I'll show you what I just did to my 02 4hunge...
(don't know how to psot a pic in here)

Bill

• ThumpinRooster

Posted June 17, 2002 - 08:27 AM

Does anybody know a company that makes graphics for 86-95 XR? Or would the graphics for the newer bikes fit?

• Manks

Posted June 20, 2002 - 02:40 AM

Secretatlas

Absoulutely no offence taken. Countries within Europe have been variously responsible for what is best and worst in design. However, I suspect that XR graphics design has a lot to do with our Japanese chums. Any hard feelings regarding WWII are clearly being taken out on XR owners.

Santa on acid. Yep, think the graphics were from the One Industries Chemicals at Christmas collection.

• mpcv2000

Posted June 20, 2002 - 04:28 AM

:) Graphic kit for sale clic here

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: mpcv2000 ]

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: mpcv2000 ]

• 10SE_Michael

Posted June 20, 2002 - 05:22 AM

Factory Effex has OEM graphics. I have seen the last two on that graphic and they look to be high quality but they do have those holes. I guess that is to let the tank plastic breathe.
Posted Image

Naples is a cool place, used to go there with a friend to his house off of Frank Whiteman. and to that boardwalk and all around.

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: 10SE_Michael ]

• White_Lightning

Posted June 20, 2002 - 09:18 PM

As I said earlier the F/X graphics are very high quality and are very thick to take abuse and protect the tank. The holes are vent holes but, also when applying the graphic so you don't get bubbles.

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: White Lightning ]

• Manks

Posted June 20, 2002 - 10:46 AM

Those little holes let the tank breathe gas fumes too.

I bought a set of the FE OEM XR 600 graphics. Problem was that I was putting them on a 400, so they didn't quite fit right. I trimmed them down and added a section at the top, which I made from similar material, but without holes. It went on smooth as silk, and looked fine. Within a week though, the bubbles started.

You will notice the same effect if you try to laquer a plastic tank. Bubbles man, bubbles.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DIY Dual Sport guide for the XR400, Part II by n16ht5

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

Kevin's XR400 FAQ by Kev_XR

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

Scotts stabilizer on XR400 by MarkandtheBRP

• 13 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 carb tuning(96-97 difference after 97) by NEODS

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

1986 honda xr250r rebuild! by Dirt-Mink

• Hot  52 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.