air filter

4 replies to this topic
  • mrrubenstein

Posted December 21, 2006 - 05:37 PM

is the stock air filter on a 450 any different from an aftermarket ie: twin air

• flintlock28

Posted December 21, 2006 - 05:54 PM

The aftermarket's are suppossed to have higher air flow.

I have the Twin-Air, the UNI filter, and a Moose one.

I like the Moose the best, it has a more robust build, plus you DON"T have to use any sealing grease on the lip where it meets the airbox.

I rate the UNI probably just below the Moose. You do need to use sealing grease on the UNI.

I'd give the Twin-Air a close # 3 rating. It doesn't seem to be holding up physically as well as the two above, but it's one nice feature is that it's easier to get into the airbox (smaller size). It also needs sealing grease.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted December 21, 2006 - 06:37 PM

I used to grease the seal on my air filters, but stopped years ago. It is not needed. As long as the filter is properly oiled, dirt cannot get to the engine, not even through the seal (unless you have one of the years where honda had bad airbox seals). I love the twin air filters b/c they are the easiest to put in ant take out.

• red7

Posted December 22, 2006 - 12:04 AM

I think any of the 3 mentioned are better than stock although my stock one gets cycled in with my 4 uni filters. Cleaning and oiling all 5 at once makes life much easier and you can keep them oiled in a large ziplock bag. I like Unis and I like putting grease around the edge just for security. Plus it's easy to put on and off so why not?

• Captaincautious7

Posted December 22, 2006 - 06:45 AM

I just purchased a Proseal airfilter which also come with 2 removable foam filterskins for around the same price as Twinair. Proseal makes good stuff and for the additional foam skins, you can't beat their price. Its like having three filters for the price of one! Also suggest trying the Proseal airfilter seal to alleviate the greasing procedure.Nothing against Twinair. they make a good product.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.