what oil to use

12 replies to this topic
  • mrrubenstein

Posted December 21, 2006 - 04:33 PM

i had a 03 yz 250 and i used to use 80w or 85w when i would do oil changes now i have a new 450 can i use same stuff or should i do something different?

• 642MX

Posted December 21, 2006 - 05:03 PM

Welcome to TT. Use the search feature for FAQ's. Its in the upper right corner of the forums.

• mrrubenstein

Posted December 21, 2006 - 05:26 PM

thank u

• AlkalineOne

Posted December 21, 2006 - 10:54 PM

Welcome to TT. Use the search feature for FAQ's. Its in the upper right corner of the forums.

haha! so thats where that damn search button is! i always went through a damn search engine to find what i was looking for on this site! thats time i will never get back... ha:banghead:

• red7

Posted December 22, 2006 - 12:00 AM

I use the semi-synthetic yamalube for what it's worth.

• mtrdrms

Posted December 22, 2006 - 04:47 AM

Amsoil full synthetic. Dont skimp out on the 4stroke oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted December 22, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Amsoil full synthetic. Dont skimp out on the 4stroke oil.

I was going to buy a case of amsoil before moving to Mexico but my local yami mechanic talked me out of it and recommended the yamahlube semisynth. Of course everyone has their opinion so who knows? I've heard great things about amsoil though!

• Ga426owner

Posted December 22, 2006 - 12:29 PM

I was going to buy a case of amsoil before moving to Mexico but my local yami mechanic talked me out of it and recommended the yamahlube semisynth. Of course everyone has their opinion so who knows? I've heard great things about amsoil though!

Amsoil is the bomb!:thumbsup:

• CaseyWR450

Posted December 22, 2006 - 12:45 PM

Bel-Ray thumper.

• Captaincautious7

Posted December 22, 2006 - 03:23 PM

I'm new to yamaha with just over 10hrs on my 07 450yz. My previous was a honda 05crf 450. With the honda and the seperate oil bath system I ran regular castrol 10w40 on the clutch side and ran the castrol synthetic blend on engine side. I have read and was told not to run anything but standard oil on clutch side because any semi or fully synthetic would cause the clutch to slip. Is this true or not? I keep reading that alot of you run synthetics in the yamis. Is there any real benefit to running a synthetic blend as opposed to plain? I always did this in my honda for the perceived added protection of my piston, rings etc. Alot of you just say change it regularly but would a synthetic blend be ok to run in my yamaha and would it be a benefit to doing this?:thumbsup:

• buzzgrizz

Posted December 22, 2006 - 05:01 PM

Mobil 1 made for four stroke motorcycles!

• Kyle Prior

Posted December 22, 2006 - 05:32 PM

I use Maxima 15w50.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 23, 2006 - 07:04 AM

Rotella 15w-40, white jug (non-synthetic), $8.49/gallon. I've always used it and when I bought my Rekluse I was not surprised to see that Rotella is recommended by them.

I am not an 'oil guru', but I have tried many high $$$ sythetics, etc. and I know when my bike is shifting well and when its not. I know that with our wet clutches an oil can be too 'slick' for good operation.

As stated earlier, I am not an oil guru, but from what I understand about synthetics the main benefit is that the oil stays in spec longer than dino oil. I run Mobile 1 in my car and truck, but since we all change the oil in our YZ's within 10 hours or less (right everybody?) the benefit of that is null.

I also think that most synthetics still have not been able to match a good dino oil in sheer strength which is crucial when being used as a gear oil.

I don't know why I'm spouting off about oil...like I said, I'm the master of "I heard this", or "I think that" :smirk: Maybe Grayracer will jump in here and save you all from my ignorance :thumbsup:

Anyway...use any good oil and change it often!:devil:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.