Primary Drive Chain - A Review

18 replies to this topic
  • Oouthere

Posted December 21, 2006 - 11:38 AM

I bought the sprocket/chain set from rockymountatinatv.com and this little jem only took FOUR tightenings in one weekend. I'm talking drooping below the chain guard tightenings.

Save your money and buy a decent chain. The sprockets seem fine though!

Rich

• NYMXer

Posted December 21, 2006 - 12:07 PM

I agree, the chain is junk painted gold. It is one of the few items from Rocky that I was disappointed in.

• 642MX

Posted December 21, 2006 - 12:39 PM

I guess you guys aren't using an o-ring chain?

I use the PD O-Ring chain and have only tightened it once this year....

• TD-3

Posted December 21, 2006 - 12:44 PM

My Primary Drive X-Ring needed adjustment the first couple rides, then made it the rest of the season fine. They're cheap enough that I just replace the sprockets and chain every year.

• Oouthere

Posted December 21, 2006 - 02:24 PM

You're right, I didn't order the o-ring chain since I hate giving up power. But I did order a DID o-ring this time. I have a hard time making up positions out of a holeshot and normally I'm within a bike link of being in front, so....

Rich

• katoom525sx

Posted December 21, 2006 - 04:26 PM

In April when I got my new yz125 I got a Primary Drive O ring chain and have only had to tighten it one time.

• MacJammer

Posted December 21, 2006 - 07:39 PM

Compare any chain to the stock chain and you have a winner. I have about 10 hrs. on my '06 YZ450. I have adjusted the chain every ride and ran out of travel last week end. I decided to take it out for one last ride before christmas and broke 18 teeth off of my counter sprocket. Piece of junk. (the chain that is). All of my buddies ride the same bike and currently run the Primary Drive x-ring chain and hardley ever adjust them. I am buying one no doubt.

• Oouthere

Posted December 22, 2006 - 08:34 AM

You mean rear sprocket? If not, you are fast!!!

I broke one off my rear sprocket and that's what prompted me to get the kit. My DID came in so time to change it out. Perhaps the next purchase will be a PD o-ring.

About the YZ125 chain....there's a lot of power difference between a YZ450F and a YZ125 so it should naturally last longer. Plus I'm 240lbs and only now starting to ride 10-20 seconds per lap full throttle....looking for more though!

Rich

• jeffboyd47m

Posted December 22, 2006 - 12:26 PM

I ran Primary Drive X-Ring chains in the 24hrs of Glen Helen with no problems at all and am still runnig the same chain with no end in sight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxchamps

Posted December 22, 2006 - 03:02 PM

Mine has been awesome. My primary drive X-ring on my 450 has lasted over a year. I rarely even lube it. It has outlasted the RK x-ring I had before.

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:40 PM

O-ring chains do not rob any significant horsepower, at least not because of the O-rings, and they are not necessarily ponderously heavy, either. The Regina ORN6 sealed chain is all of 5 ounces heavier that it's non-sealed counterpart. The legitimate weight gain should be in the form of extended roller sleeves and longer pins to accommodate the rings. The rings themselves weigh next to nothing.

As far as power goes, only 8 rings are ever pivoting at any one time, the ones at the points where the chain is either feeding onto or off of a sprocket, and of those, only the ones in front move as much as 10 or 15 degrees. I am still waiting for anyone to produce a dyno test that can even measure the power lost to a good sealed chain that isn't lost to a non-sealed one.

That said, PD is a low cost chain, and you sometimes get what you pay for. They tend to be very heavy and bulky because they use lower grade materials and make up for the loss of strength through increased mass. I would think twice before mounting one, especially a sealed one, on an '06/7.

• dvn

Posted December 05, 2007 - 06:30 PM

What year is your 125? Did you have any clearance issues in the front with the chain rubbing the case?

• KAS

Posted December 05, 2007 - 07:12 PM

I ran one of their o-ring chains on my '07 YZ250 and only needed to adjust it once. Its held up great.

I put one on my 450 recently, its got close to 200 miles on it right now, haven't adjusted it yet, but it needs it.

• 450Flyer

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:17 PM

Are the Primary Drive O ring chains stiff at first?? Do they feel like the have a little drag on the wheel.

I just put one on, and it feels like it has a lot of drag!!

• 642MX

Posted March 14, 2009 - 05:20 AM

Are the Primary Drive O ring chains stiff at first?? Do they feel like the have a little drag on the wheel.

I just put one on, and it feels like it has a lot of drag!!

They are a little stiff out of the box, like any other new o-ring chain. Make sure you have the chain adjusted properly and be sure the wheel is lined up. Sometimes the marks on the YZF chain blocks are hard to read. On the 426 (guessing the 450 is the same) you count the lines from the back side of the chain block, not the bolt (or front) side.... kind of a common mistake.

• s14 2510s

Posted March 15, 2009 - 06:06 AM

Ive ran all sorts of chains. O rings chains are not needed in my mind. Both my bikes run did ert2 chains. They never seem to strech. But i change tires and gearing often.

• LAndrew

Posted March 17, 2009 - 07:23 AM

There is a rumour that PD chains are a major brand - rebranded. I am trying my first chain with rubber in it this season. A Primary Drive X-ring. It's 30% $$ less than other x-rings and so will have to see how many hours it goes.

• 642MX

Posted March 17, 2009 - 07:46 AM

There is a rumour that PD chains are a major brand - rebranded. I am trying my first chain with rubber in it this season. A Primary Drive X-ring. It's 30% $$ less than other x-rings and so will have to see how many hours it goes.

I heard that KMC makes them for PD, but I'm not sure. I switched from PD to Regina last year. But, I wasn't happy with the way my Regina's stretched and last weekend, my wifes chain stretched so bad in 18 miles that it de-railed... :)

Yesterday, I ordered 2 x-ring PD chains and steel sprockets. I'm going back to what I know works... or at least it works for me. :banghead:

• yamadog48

Posted March 17, 2009 - 05:52 PM

get the DiD narrow x ring chain, zero drag, spin the rear tire by hand and it rolls for hours (not realy) but you get the point. had it on now for 3 months and havent adjusted it yet...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.