AIS Question

20 replies to this topic
  • dangermouse007

Posted December 21, 2006 - 09:49 AM

Ok Guys...Quick Question...

About this AIS... I have looked at Pictures on Yamaha's site and I have also looked as some of the pictures on here.. and never see this AIS installed..

So does AIS come only on certain bikes or States or countrys ... Never seen a bike in the UK with one.. and My dealer sounded blank when I spoke to him about it...

• BLACK_BONES

Posted December 21, 2006 - 10:26 AM

I know that some countries out there don't get the ais...but which ones...? I have no clue.

I can help you with what the ais looks like and where it is though....

http://img74.imagesh...p1010044ef6.jpg

This is on the right hand side of the bike. (outlined in red is the ais)

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted December 21, 2006 - 11:12 AM

I believe it is only the US models that get the AIS and that is because of California and its strict emission laws.

• Asgeir

Posted December 21, 2006 - 11:40 AM

It is on the European models as well, but only on 2005 and on.

• jim_wr250f

Posted December 21, 2006 - 03:16 PM

What does AIS stand for? and anyone know if Australia has it?

• msgbean

Posted December 21, 2006 - 03:18 PM

What does AIS stand for? and anyone know if Australia has it?

Air Induction System. I don't know about Australia.

• MountainMax

Posted December 21, 2006 - 07:34 PM

it's on the canadian models also.......

• UK CHRIS450

Posted December 22, 2006 - 02:27 AM

I purchased a brand new 2005 UK WR450 and it had the AIS on it ...only for about 1 hour !!!!!!! I think every WR from 2005 onwards gets it.

• dangermouse007

Posted December 22, 2006 - 03:29 AM

What did you do to remove it .. what kit did you use ???

• cliper

Posted December 22, 2006 - 09:24 AM

order it off thumper talk got mine today:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted December 22, 2006 - 11:55 AM

a more complete kit comes from yamaha, but you can get the jets and cut off your throttle screw and buy from TT

• NW WR250

Posted December 23, 2006 - 06:41 PM

what does the ais do . if you remove it do you gain power?

• RB_Saint

Posted December 24, 2006 - 11:16 PM

05' 450 and later has it, 06' 250 and later.

• clark4131

Posted December 25, 2006 - 04:15 AM

it makes the bike run leaner to pass emisions...

The AIS does not make it run leaner. It injects air into the exhaust to help burn the unburnt exhaust gases, thereby reducing "harmful" emissions. It's a smog pump and does not affect the mixture. Removing it eliminates the popping in the exhaust that can mask a lean jetting condition which may also cause popping on decel :thumbsup:...SC

• NW WR250

Posted December 25, 2006 - 03:29 PM

The AIS does not make it run leaner. It injects air into the exhaust to help burn the unburnt exhaust gases, thereby reducing "harmful" emissions. It's a smog pump and does not affect the mixture. Removing it eliminates the popping in the exhaust that can mask a lean jetting condition which may also cause popping on decel :thumbsup:...SC

ya I have alot of popping on decel. Ill have to remove the ais and see if it helps

• MountainMax

Posted December 25, 2006 - 03:39 PM

You can turn up the adjustable fuel mixture screw a bit will also help, it did 4 me.

• OneToGo

Posted December 25, 2006 - 07:53 PM

The AIS does not make it run leaner. It injects air into the exhaust to help burn the unburnt exhaust gases, thereby reducing "harmful" emissions. It's a smog pump and does not affect the mixture. Removing it eliminates the popping in the exhaust that can mask a lean jetting condition which may also cause popping on decel :devil:...SC

AIS comes fitted to ALL 06 models ex-Japan (probably also 07 models).
As Clark says above, it is for emissions.
FACT - 05 and 06 Aussie model AIS are removed by Yamaha Australia before the bikes are shipped to dealers as emission laws dont require it (yet!).
Yamaha Australia fit their own AIS kit and an alternate is the TT kit which is a neater installation IMHO- there has been much debate on the relative merits of each installation but as they say: "I aint goin' there"!
:thumbsup:

• texas_hippie

Posted December 29, 2006 - 05:49 PM

Your Yammie dealer sells the kit, easy to install, and you don't even have to remove the carb to do it! The jets come with it, and everything you need is in the kit. See the stickies for instructions, as they are way better than the instructions furnished with the kits.

• dangermouse007

Posted January 13, 2007 - 01:57 AM

Anybody got there 2007 AIS kit yet .. or know when they will be out ????

• Randy Nilles

Posted January 13, 2007 - 02:43 PM

I am hearing the end of January from my dealership!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.