Blue smoke when cold

5 replies to this topic
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted December 21, 2006 - 09:17 AM

My '02 426 has just started blowing a little bit of blue smoke after I start it. It only blows the smoke when I blip the throttle but not when it is at idle. The bike runs great and once the bike warms up it disappears. The bike does not use oil that I can tell, but then again I change it about every 8 hrs.

Valve guides/seals? If it were the rings then it would smoke all the time wouldn't it?

• 642MX

Posted December 21, 2006 - 10:19 AM

Have you ever been in the motor?

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 21, 2006 - 10:33 AM

Not other than to replace the exhaust cam and check valve clearance. Bought the bike bike used so I don't know how many hours are on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted December 21, 2006 - 10:36 AM

Its probably a valve seal, the valve guides typically never wear. And its definitely time to replace the rings, cam chain, valve springs & valve seals.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 21, 2006 - 10:52 AM

I was planning on doing the timing chain this winter. Never replaced valve components before...is it rocket science or no?

• 642MX

Posted December 21, 2006 - 12:04 PM

I was planning on doing the timing chain this winter. Never replaced valve components before...is it rocket science or no?

Its not rocket science. You will, however, need a valve spring compressor. You can remove the valve seals with a pick, and reinstall them with your fingers.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.