Tire changing made easy with Bridgestones Doug Schopinsky

21 replies to this topic
  • alexrobinson

Posted December 21, 2006 - 01:24 AM

99% of us struggle with tire changing. Watch these 3 video clips with Bridgestone Tire's Engineer Doug Schopinsky and make tire changing easy! There are 3 video clips and for some reason they take ages to download, but really it is worth it! I studied the videos and changed a tire on Friday night and for the first time ever didn't even break a sweat!

The clips are on the transworldmotocross.com website under the "How To" section "Tire Changing with Doug Schopinsky.

Maybe one of the Thumpertalk members can ask Transworld Motocross if they can use these video clips on Thumpertalk? and if so maybe make them quicker and easier for members to download.

Doug Schopinsky only shows tire changing with 1 Rim Lock when us WR owners have 2 Rim Locks to contend with on the back wheel, but following the tips on these clips it really does make tire changing easy! Took me a while to understand what Doug meant when removing the tire he used what he called the "Outside, Outside, Inside Technique" and it works a treat!

I hope one of the more experienced and technical Thumpertalk members can make these clips easily available to all the Thumpertalk Members? What a great Christmas present that would be for the Thumpertalk Members, no more struggling with Tire Changing!

Happy Christmas and Happy Tire Changing from Alex Robinson (UK)

• dangermouse007

Posted December 21, 2006 - 04:07 AM

Seen it before and it does so so so help... but he does change them quick and hes also telling at the same time...

Liked the stand to.. but not the price.....I used an old Road bike tyre ... works well..

• baha

Posted December 21, 2006 - 06:35 AM

http://www.transworl...1215721,00.html

Really should be a sticky!

• clark4131

Posted December 21, 2006 - 07:10 AM

It's now in the Performance Index. However, it's lifespan depends on how long Transworld keeps it alive on their site...SC

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 21, 2006 - 07:18 AM

that Transworld piece was nice, but the motopower video is significantly better. You can see what's going on, the guy takes his time and gives you lots of tips.

I had lots and lots of trouble before I got the motorpower video. Now I can change tires with confidence, no busted knuckles and no pinched tubes. If I can do it, then darn near anyone can.

• MountainMax

Posted December 22, 2006 - 09:39 PM

I would like to see him do it with a tire that has 2 beed locks, that made it harder for me then the older tires with only one........

• 06wr450f-ken

Posted December 23, 2006 - 11:05 AM

i'll just pay the twenty

• alexrobinson

Posted December 23, 2006 - 12:39 PM

Sorry when I posted this info I was so excited to have found the video clips by Doug Shopinsky I just wanted to share it with everyone I knew, then I thought if a posted it on Thumpertalk even more people would get the benefit of easy tire changes. I hadn't realised that thumpertalk members have been recommending Doug's Tips since November, so I am a little late with my enthusiasm.

MorrisDorris mentioned the Motor Power video is better, I searched for Motor Power on the Internet, but didn't find any video clips, maybe it is an actual video or dvd?

After having such success with the tips on my rear tire change, I took the front tire off last night and replaced it just for the practise and to clean up the rim - Excellent! Front tire was a little tight, I think because it has been really cold in my garage, frozen outside!, although still managed to do it without to much strain, and I love the "inside, inside, outside" way of taking the tire off. Still haven't got a BeadBuddy yet so it will be even easier when I get one of those. Also I don't have a fancy tire changing stand like Doug used, I just used an old tire to rest on top of a waist high work-mate bench and it worked just fine. Also treated myself to 3 new tire spoons, the Brit equivalent of Windex, Baby Powder and a 12mm Ratcheting Spanner for the Rim Locks (getting bead buddy soon!). Life is so much easier!

Have a great Christmas, all the best Alex Robinson

• Flyin-A

Posted December 23, 2006 - 01:05 PM

Seen it before and it does so so so help... but he does change them quick and hes also telling at the same time...

Liked the stand to.. but not the price.....I used an old Road bike tyre ... works well..

Here's my tire change stand, Posted Image:thumbsup:

• Martys

Posted December 25, 2006 - 09:41 AM

Sorry when I posted this info I was so excited to have found the video clips by Doug Shopinsky I just wanted to share it with everyone I knew, then I thought if a posted it on Thumpertalk even more people would get the benefit of easy tire changes. I hadn't realised that thumpertalk members have been recommending Doug's Tips since November, so I am a little late with my enthusiasm.

MorrisDorris mentioned the Motor Power video is better, I searched for Motor Power on the Internet, but didn't find any video clips, maybe it is an actual video or dvd?

After having such success with the tips on my rear tire change, I took the front tire off last night and replaced it just for the practise and to clean up the rim - Excellent! Front tire was a little tight, I think because it has been really cold in my garage, frozen outside!, although still managed to do it without to much strain, and I love the "inside, inside, outside" way of taking the tire off. Still haven't got a BeadBuddy yet so it will be even easier when I get one of those. Also I don't have a fancy tire changing stand like Doug used, I just used an old tire to rest on top of a waist high work-mate bench and it worked just fine. Also treated myself to 3 new tire spoons, the Brit equivalent of Windex, Baby Powder and a 12mm Ratcheting Spanner for the Rim Locks (getting bead buddy soon!). Life is so much easier!

Have a great Christmas, all the best Alex Robinson

Here is the link to the motopower DVD's http://www.motopowervideo.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted December 26, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Alex, I am glad your tire changing experience has improved. I have a knobbie and a trials tire that I swap back and forth every other month. I put the bike on the grass in my back yard and simulate trail conditions as best I can. No jacks, no tire changing stands etc. I need to stay sharp on roadside repair techiques.

The motopower video helps a lot and I now have confidence. The only trouble I have, if any, is getting the valve stem to line up when installing ultra heavy duty tubes.

When I say "trouble", I mean it takes me 5 mins instead of 2 mins to get it right.

• byggd

Posted December 26, 2006 - 02:28 PM

VERY nice.....thanks! I did my front tire last month and struggled with the rim lock and installing the valve stem...now I have tips for both!

• Strattos

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:01 PM

Has anyone had dramas with the two rimlocks seemly siezed in place? Mine won't move a millimetre.

• scogdell

Posted February 17, 2008 - 11:01 AM

I tried watching the videos yesterday, but the computer kept crashing due to the slow download speed of our provider. Has anyone saved them as a video clip they could email to me?

Thanks.
Steve

• Appalachian DR

Posted February 17, 2008 - 05:07 PM

I watched it a couple of weeks ago and it sure made my life easier.

My big Rubbermaid trash can doubles as a tire changing stand.

• nfoley

Posted February 17, 2008 - 07:23 PM

I watched it and changed the rear. Not as easy as the guy shows but lots easier than the way I was doing it. I think the 2 rim locks make it more difficult.

• clark4131

Posted February 18, 2008 - 10:19 AM

I've removed one of my rimlocks and have run it that way for years without incident. I think two is overkill...SC

• byggd

Posted February 18, 2008 - 02:52 PM

I like this guys install advise even better than the three part one.

http://www.transworl...p?ID=1000002010

• dirtysouth

Posted February 18, 2008 - 04:56 PM

i'll just pay the twenty

:) :applause:

• Appalachian DR

Posted February 18, 2008 - 05:08 PM

I've removed one of my rimlocks and have run it that way for years without incident. I think two is overkill...SC

What did you do about the hole in the rim?

I guess that would make it that much easier.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.