Starting trouble on dualsport (starter?)

5 replies to this topic
  • pjpoo

Posted December 20, 2006 - 08:15 AM

Here's documentation so far: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=448685

I'm now guessing the problem lies in my starter motor, as when I apply power directly to it, it can barely turn itself over. It's explained a little more in the thread above. Maybe a video would help so you can hear how the starter is having trouble turning over?

• Beelzeboss

Posted December 20, 2006 - 08:49 AM

Remove the startermotor and change the brushes(coals?)?:thumbsup:

• rebelventurer

Posted December 20, 2006 - 03:47 PM

Welcome to TT. Have your battery tested under a load. Any auto parts store can do that for you, free. A weak battery will eventually cause the brushes to burn on the starter, but they are amazing, never seen a bad one. As for the discharge sounds like a burnt diode in the rectifier. Do you have a manual? Ohm the wires at the rectifier, pretty much all combinations of wires should ohm out between 500-10k.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pjpoo

Posted December 20, 2006 - 04:02 PM

Good call on the auto store testing the battery.

I guess it's still up in the air as to what the problem may be. Bad battery could be likely, but then, how did it go bad in the first place? I don't really know because I bought the bike and it started fine. Two weeks later I went to start it and it was crap....

Tonight, I plan to see if the bike can start with the SV1000 (streetbike) battery and rule out the starter. Then it's on to the battery and electrical. I have the flowdown for the charging system troubleshooting by Electrosport and plan to peruse that. I need the bike started for that first.

I'll see what I can do tonight, and I'm sure I'll have something to tell and/or ask afterwards.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 20, 2006 - 06:13 PM

Batteries are like some marriages, (not mine, I got lucky) they start to go bad once their hooked up, mostly due to sulfation, (long periods of not being used, causes this). Then sometimes they just seem to quit, you think they are charging but they are not, they show volts but actually have very little amperage.
Its like whats more deadly 1 volt with a 100 amps behind it, or a 100 volts with 1 amp behind it?

• xrltim

Posted December 20, 2006 - 08:28 PM

Either one can do some serious damage, but I'd take the 100 volts and 1 amp. 100 amps at any voltage will fry your brain.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.