eng problems ,HELP

9 replies to this topic
  • dforbes67

Posted December 20, 2006 - 04:21 AM

I have a 01 426, been geting small amounts of metal shavings in oil filter for years .I read that that was normal , but for the last six months it seems its been getting worse and im getting a vibration also now .
My last oil change I found a lot of shavings and decided it was time to tear in to it to find the cause .So far I have the piston and up off ,and both sides but no problem yet , I did find a small 1/16 peice of chewed metal , not a shaving, stuck in the flywheel magnet along with a lot of greasy gunk with built up filings on the magnets , could that possably be the vibration prob? but still no idea where it is coming from .
Im going to tear into the gearbox next I guess , any ideas or sugestions on what to look for or advice on going into the gearbox , never been in one but theres deffinatly something slowly decintegrating somewhere . Any advice would be apreciated , Thanks ,Darren

• NYMXer

Posted December 20, 2006 - 05:51 AM

Sounds like the end bearing and seal is going out on your ride.

• dforbes67

Posted December 20, 2006 - 08:03 AM

you meen like the sprocket shaft?

• NYMXer

Posted December 20, 2006 - 09:57 AM

No, the left crank bearing on the flywheel side.

• dforbes67

Posted December 20, 2006 - 10:10 AM

That seems fine , no up and down movement that I can see , guess ill split the case and look a little deeper and a little closer at crank bearings
It has been a little stiffer on shifting ,(little) not much , poss a shift fork or something , hate to go into the trans but Im possative something is broke and if I dont it will break more and be real bad , right now it still runs STRONG

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NYMXer

Posted December 20, 2006 - 12:36 PM

How else do you explain the crap on the flywheel?

• Nova1194

Posted December 20, 2006 - 03:23 PM

When you split your cases, hold the bearings up to a light so you can see the inner races, I do a lot of gear work and many times bearings will feel ok, but when you hold them up to a light you can see the races flaking. The races always seem to crap out before the rollers.

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2006 - 07:40 PM

How else do you explain the crap on the flywheel?

The flywheel, because of it's relatively large inside diameter and the fact that there are large, powerful magnets there, is a sort of accidental centrifugal oil filter. Metal particles so fine that they normally circulate in the oil harmlessly become trapped there as a greasy feeling paste. Over time, it can form a layer of almost dry, nearly solid compacted debris that can be scraped out, and is surprisingly thick. But its presence is entirely normal.

• dforbes67

Posted December 21, 2006 - 04:03 AM

Well I got it apart last night ,the engine and gearbox is in complete disassembly now . I just seen the post on holding bearing to light ill do that tonight because otherwise they all look fine .I did find one small corner chip on one of my engager jaws that meets the gear had a chip missing that possable matched the peice I found in the flywheel .Could I be so lucky that the only chip of metal I found was the only one there was .If so great but it still dont explain the small vibration or the big amount of filings in the oil filter .As far as I can see that one engager jaw has a little wear on the engager ears but it dont look real bad ?

• 642MX

Posted December 21, 2006 - 10:32 AM

Are you sure that the piece's in your oil filter are metal. I find aluminum particles in mine all the time, It believe its tiny pieces of the clutch basket.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.