Oil cooler

6 replies to this topic
  • baldy110

Posted December 20, 2006 - 03:20 AM

Hi, I just joined and I have a question.
I have a 1981 XR500R and I would like to install an oil cooler.
I have one from a XR250R. Does anyone know where to tap into the oil supply from the engine and where to tap into the return line. Thanks

• BRPXL600R

Posted December 20, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Welcome to TT and try to use the S E A R C H F E A T U R E! This topic has been covered a million times!!!!! Try this maybe...........................................http://www.thumperta...ight=oil cooler

• baldy110

Posted December 21, 2006 - 09:25 PM

I tried the search forum and came up with nothing. The link you sent me to was for the XR600 not the XR500, big difference.
My questions still stand anyone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted December 21, 2006 - 11:01 PM

Hi, I just joined and I have a question.
I have a 1981 XR500R and I would like to install an oil cooler.
I have one from a XR250R. Does anyone know where to tap into the oil supply from the engine and where to tap into the return line. Thanks

I hate to tell you that I think you are out of luck. Most of the 1983 and on RFVC XR's and XL's use the front frame tube as an oil reservior and cooler. It is easy to add a cooler to the XR600 by putting it in series with the oil hoses that go to the frame reservoir. That is how the cooler that you have from the 250 was setup. I had an 81 XR500R and it does not have this external oil reservior. All the oil is inside the engine. The only oil that travels outside is the tube that runs to the head. I suppose that an oil cooler could be grafted into this line, but I'm not sure it is a good idea. The extra length could delay oil supply to the head at startup. That could be worse than the heat.

I understand why you want to add the cooler. My 500 ran very hot. In extreme conditions it would start boiling the gas in the carb.

• baldy110

Posted December 22, 2006 - 02:25 AM

I know it can be done. I know people still race the FT500 Ascot and I have seen oil coolers on these. It uses the same engine as the XR500. I was hoping one of them might read this and help out. Thanks anyway

• frankstr

Posted December 22, 2006 - 06:30 AM

Welcome, baldy110...To Thumpertalk....You'll find answers here...:thumbsup:

:devil: :smirk:

• cleonard

Posted December 22, 2006 - 08:14 AM

I know it can be done. I know people still race the FT500 Ascot and I have seen oil coolers on these. It uses the same engine as the XR500. I was hoping one of them might read this and help out. Thanks anyway

A quick search of "ascot oil cooler" on Google turned up this guy as the man to ask about the mods necessary for an oil cooler. http://www.barebones.net/
On the FT500 engine a mod is done to the right side cover to add some fittings.
I'd say give the guy a call and see if he can set up up. The best stuff was on another board at http://forums.13x.co...ad.php?t=126932

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.