07 450 with metal shavings on magnet

23 replies to this topic
  • warrior86

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:00 PM

I have about 7 hours on my bike and just did my fourth oil change. The first two changes i ran regular oil and the most recent two ive switched to semi-synthetic...i plan on running amsoil after this. The oil filter has some slight metal filings on it the size of ground pepper but my magnet drain plug got me a little worried. There are several shaving/filings stuck to the magnet. Im happy the magnet got them but worried about why they are showing up in the first place. Could it be the tranny breaking in? I know there definately was some "meshing" involved with the tranny break in because the first hour the tranny was really stiff and notchy and now its smooth like my 250f is. Is this anything i should be concerned about? I have been riding hard for the past 5 hours on it, but i use the clutch to shift 95% of the time. Thanks for any tips.

PS, i did a search and did not find the answer i was looking for.:thumbsup:

• skwerlee

Posted December 20, 2006 - 09:51 AM

I still find little metal shaving on my oil filter when I change the oil on my 2000 426f, I’ve read it's normal. This is why it's important to stay on top of the maintenance and use the magnetic oil plugs for the 4 stroke racers.

• 700MX

Posted December 20, 2006 - 03:49 PM

That is normal......just keep changing your oil often!

• DesertRacer2

Posted December 20, 2006 - 04:59 PM

I can't believe you have done 4 oil changes with only seven hours of riding on the bike. That seems very excessive. Read the owners manual and look at what Yamaha recommends for oil changes.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 20, 2006 - 05:08 PM

The metal shavings are normal. About once every 4-5 oil changes, I'll still find a tiny siver of metal stuck to my drain plug.

IMO, it's a little early to switch to synthetic. Common law for sportbikes is to run non-synthetic for the first 1500 miles. Don't know how many hours that would be for a dirt bike....

The logic is the synthetic doesn't allow your rings to set properly.

• 642MX

Posted December 20, 2006 - 07:29 PM

The logic is the synthetic doesn't allow your rings to set properly.

Wrong. The Chevrolet Corvette comes with synthetic Mobil 1 from the factory. Its a total myth about sythetic oil not letting the rings seat in.

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Its a total myth about sythetic oil not letting the rings seat in.

Absolutely is indeed.

• warrior86

Posted December 20, 2006 - 07:54 PM

yeah that actually worried me when my dad got his corvette. I was almost going to try to convince him to put regular oil in there for the break-in. Luckily, hes more stubborn than i am. It does seem to make sense that since synthetic supposadely makes friction nonexistent, that it would hinder the break in process. Who knows?

Either way, according to mototune, break in takes place within the first twenty miles or so. I definately have that amount of ride time on regular yamalube.

• warrior86

Posted December 20, 2006 - 07:59 PM

and i dont think its excessive, i rode it for the first day for about 2 hours and i rode it hard. Drained it and the oil looked dirty...i actually was wishing i coulda done it sooner but a day of riding is a day of riding. Then i went to the mx track twice and changed it each time i went which is about an hour of hard riding each time. Even if it is excessive, im pretty sure there no harm that can be done from changing oil too much. At worst, im just wasting money, but id rather do the oil sooner rather than later. Especially since these things only hold a quart of oil which gets used by the top end, tranny, an clutch. Thats a lot of abuse.

• adam918

Posted December 20, 2006 - 08:24 PM

and i dont think its excessive, i rode it for the first day for about 2 hours and i rode it hard. Drained it and the oil looked dirty...i actually was wishing i coulda done it sooner but a day of riding is a day of riding. Then i went to the mx track twice and changed it each time i went which is about an hour of hard riding each time. Even if it is excessive, im pretty sure there no harm that can be done from changing oil too much. At worst, im just wasting money, but id rather do the oil sooner rather than later. Especially since these things only hold a quart of oil which gets used by the top end, tranny, an clutch. Thats a lot of abuse.

I totally agree with you. For me, 1 hour,(on the hour meter) is 4-15 minute motos, so I try to change my oil a least once every hour, depending on how hard I rode that day. I've always used the good old Yamalube 20/40, because of the price, which is another reason why I change it often.
I would like to try the Mobile-1 like I read others used, but I wonder if I should since I've used the Yamalube this whole time? (1 year)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • warrior86

Posted December 20, 2006 - 08:33 PM

I have an 04 250f with countless hours on it and it still runs like new. I run amsoil 1040 since it was broken in.

I understand what your saying abou the 1500 miles on a dirtbike. But for me and the way i ride, two days at the track, with three 20 minute sessions is enough to destroy oil and more than enough time for an engine to break in and any engines passing by within a 20 foot radius, lol.

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2006 - 08:40 PM

It does seem to make sense that since synthetic supposadely makes friction nonexistent, that it would hinder the break in process.

No such claim has ever been made for synthetic oils. Energy conserving oils, almost all of which happen to be synthetic have made claims of reducing friction, but that's it. Synthetics are more durable in several ways, and their formulation is better controlled by virtue of the fact that they are manufactured, rather than refined.

Even if it is excessive, im pretty sure there no harm that can be done from changing oil too much.

wear and tear on the drain plugs. :thumbsup:

I would like to try the Mobile-1 like I read others used, but I wonder if I should since I've used the Yamalube this whole time? (1 year)

You can switch brands, weights, or oil types (between synthetic and petroleum) freely and at any time with no problem.

• warrior86

Posted December 20, 2006 - 10:22 PM

[quote name='grayracer513']No such claim has ever been made for synthetic oils. Energy conserving oils, almost all of which happen to be synthetic have made claims of reducing friction, but that's it. Synthetics are more durable in several ways, and their formulation is better controlled by virtue of the fact that they are manufactured, rather than refined.

Well maybe i got that thought in my head because of the commercial for mobil 1 that shows motors going for 200k miles with virtually no wear. THen again, my blazer motor has 365k miles and doesnt smoke or burn oil and i have always used regular oil.

• max49

Posted December 21, 2006 - 08:04 AM

Holy Cow, you guys are fanatics with oil changes. My '04 250 F has 180 hrs, 3 racing seasons and I change the oil every 15 hrs with 15w40 Diesel type oil. It's the most reliable dirt bike I've ever had and is still a holeshot monster. I changed the oil on the '07 450 @ 5 hrs. Will doit again @ 15 hrs and every 15 hrs. there after.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 21, 2006 - 01:09 PM

Holy Cow, you guys are fanatics with oil changes. My '04 250 F has 180 hrs, 3 racing seasons and I change the oil every 15 hrs with 15w40 Diesel type oil. It's the most reliable dirt bike I've ever had and is still a holeshot monster. I changed the oil on the '07 450 @ 5 hrs. Will doit again @ 15 hrs and every 15 hrs. there after.

if this works for you - great...just curious of the color consistancy of the oil at a 15hr oil change? After about 5hrs it seems the shifting gets harder...may be psycosamatic...:thumbsup:

• SXP

Posted December 21, 2006 - 04:53 PM

Makes me cringe to hear you say you will go 15 hours before you change your oil - especially on a new bike. But.....I can't offer any scientific proof to refute this practice. Intuitively it just feels wrong, especially when the Delos/Rotellas/Delvacs (which I use - Rotella) is so cheap.

• 642MX

Posted December 21, 2006 - 05:00 PM

Makes me cringe to hear you say you will go 15 hours before you change your oil - especially on a new bike. But.....I can't offer any scientific proof to refute this practice. Intuitively it just feels wrong, especially when the Delos/Rotellas/Delvacs (which I use - Rotella) is so cheap.

I cringe too. If he ever had an oil analysis performed he would understand why its important to change your oil every ride.

• rexbond007

Posted December 21, 2006 - 06:03 PM

i changed oil after 2 hr break in and every 5- 7 hrs with mobil 1 5w-50 synthetic.

talk about rings not seating with synthetic is crap.

i use mobil 1 from 1 hr to 150 hrs in my 05 RMZ 250 for 2 years and never had a problem.
when i sold it it had excellent compression.

• warrior86

Posted December 21, 2006 - 06:22 PM

i think we were referring to the rings now seating 100% around the cylinder. May be wrong tho:confused:

• yz007f

Posted December 22, 2006 - 04:20 PM

I totally agree with you. For me, 1 hour,(on the hour meter) is 4-15 minute motos, so I try to change my oil a least once every hour, depending on how hard I rode that day. I've always used the good old Yamalube 20/40, because of the price, which is another reason why I change it often.

I have always been the same way. I change my oil after every ride, if its racing two 30min motos or out on the track for the day. My oil gets changed everytime that bike leaves the garage along with a clean air filter,lubed clutch cable, cleaned and lubed chain,spokes checked etc. I might be a little picky but I really think my hard work pays off when I ride it or when I go to sell it. Plus I love working on it, I'm a off road tech by trade lol.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.