Getting the damned seat off

10 replies to this topic
  • pjpoo

Posted December 19, 2006 - 08:28 PM

I'm new to the XR650.

I can't figure out how to get the damned seat off for access to wiring/top of the air box. I spent 20 minutes trying. I pulled the front portion up and heard something pop. I don't know if it was a good pop or a bad pop, hahah.... :thumbsup:

What a wimp I must be! ARGH!

Anyway, pointers?

Any free manual online available for download?

EDIT: I found a XR650R manual. I see two bolts shown towards the rear. I found two bolts on my seat and removed them and the seat didn't seem to budge after that... :devil:

I'll try some more and then come back to check...

• chpxr

Posted December 19, 2006 - 08:36 PM

ok there's 2 bolts under the seat facing outwards take those out lift the back up then slide the front of the seat down and back and it should come right off

• pjpoo

Posted December 19, 2006 - 08:38 PM

I'll see what's up. For some reason two bolts on the outside of the subframe were not immediately apparent...

• chpxr

Posted December 19, 2006 - 08:50 PM

glad you got it worked out:ride:

• pjpoo

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, it was the two bolts on the under/inside of the subframe. For whatever reason the first time I undid those I didn't get the seat to budge...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted December 20, 2006 - 06:30 AM

Glad you figured it out, pjpoo....Welcome to Thumpertalk....

:thumbsup: :devil:

• needsprayer

Posted December 20, 2006 - 06:51 AM

I'm new to the XR650.

I can't figure out how to get the damned seat off for access to wiring/top of the air box. I spent 20 minutes trying.

Warning: Always wear a boot when kickstarting the BRP. That girl can slap you silly.

:thumbsup:

• pburke

Posted December 20, 2006 - 07:32 AM

anyone ever see a conversion to some sort of quick release for those two bolts back there? I think it's a real PITA to get those out each time you need to get to the fuse or take the tank off for whatever.

• pjpoo

Posted December 20, 2006 - 08:12 AM

Warning: Always wear a boot when kickstarting the BRP. That girl can slap you silly.

:thumbsup:

I learned that the hard way when kick starting my '88 XR250R, which was my first dirtbike. The 650 is the L, though, so no kickstart. You can see I'm having starting troubles here in this thread: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=448685

• Maladjusted_XR

Posted December 20, 2006 - 10:34 AM

anyone ever see a conversion to some sort of quick release for those two bolts back there? I think it's a real PITA to get those out each time you need to get to the fuse or take the tank off for whatever.

Try "quick-release SS anchor pins". McMaster-Carr carries them. Kind of pricey.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 20, 2006 - 12:54 PM

You can make the quick releases yourself with a couple of 6mm studs, a drill bit, a couple of washers, and spring clips.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.