xr 600 cuts out at high rpms

5 replies to this topic
  • litng1

Posted December 19, 2006 - 06:49 PM

My 92 600 is stock with a filter and supertrap and 158 jet.It ran great with stock pipe now it cuts out high rpms.More disks i run the worse it cuts out.Im running no disks now and it does it at top of every gear.It runs great everywhere else.Thanks

• creeky

Posted December 20, 2006 - 04:38 AM

My 92 600 is stock with a filter and supertrap and 158 jet.It ran great with stock pipe now it cuts out high rpms.More disks i run the worse it cuts out.Im running no disks now and it does it at top of every gear.It runs great everywhere else.Thanks

Put in a 162 main jet, that will get jetting in the ballpark.

• frankstr

Posted December 20, 2006 - 06:38 AM

It does sound like its running lean..Fatten up the jetting on that pig..
Also how is your valve lash....?

:thumbsup: :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • litng1

Posted December 20, 2006 - 12:10 PM

I will do the jet.Valves are little loud

• rebelventurer

Posted December 20, 2006 - 03:35 PM

Welcome to TT! Your way lean, youll burn the top out of the piston if you keep it up. Depending on your elevation above sea level your jet could be as rich as a 165 at sea level with 8 disks or a 160 at 5000 ft. with 6 disks Adjust them valves too! Oh, while you have the carb out do daves mods, the little things make the world of difference.

• bork

Posted December 21, 2006 - 12:16 PM

Welcome to TT! Your way lean, youll burn the top out of the piston if you keep it up. Depending on your elevation above sea level your jet could be as rich as a 165 at sea level with 8 disks or a 160 at 5000 ft. with 6 disks Adjust them valves too! Oh, while you have the carb out do daves mods, the little things make the world of difference.

My Yamaha did the same for some reason & I did a ton of stuff. Long story short. Do a short run without the air filter & open exhaust. If it gets better, it is too rich, if runs worse too lean. Then put it all back together & see if it still breaks up, to confirm. Then make your changes . Mine was rich & so I dropped back to stock jet & worked great! Go figure? Also , is this a XR600R ? stock choke plate? Change now too solid billet before you regret it! Normally I'd say 1/2 choke it for test of richness, but if you have stock choke plate? could promote breakage.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.