Service Honda 500afx

22 replies to this topic
  • rebelventurer

Posted December 19, 2006 - 03:31 PM

Has anyone had the pleasure of seeing/riding the new 500cc two smoke, that is installed in the crf250x frame, hense green sticker for CA. Plateable? Just read an article about this beast, must say I am impressed with the concept only down side seems to be the price which starts at $8999 and can go way up from there. Basically a custom built rocket ship that will smoke (litterally) EVERYTHING else out there if you have the nads to twist the throttle. Sounds like it would make a great desert bike, can you imagine a motard made out of this thing!!! Maintenance on the motor would be cheaper than that of the new thumpers. Though back tires could get expensive! This would make a great addition or replacement for the xr650r in anyones garage, just if you can afford tha initial outlay of cash.
Note to moderator, Please dont move I know this is a 2 stroke but its comparable to the 600-650 riders style of bike. Thanks
Heres a link check it out for yourself. http://www.serviceho.../cr500af05.html
Heres some of the options available. http://www.serviceho...FX_options.html
Thoughts anyone?

• jbird710

Posted December 19, 2006 - 07:17 PM

Trust me, if you had one of these street legal, you be collecting tickets like exploding terrorists. The temptation to ride the rear wheel everywhere you go would definitely get you in a lot of trouble. You'd laugh at speed limit signs and never get stuck in a traffic jam. Yes, rear tires would probably be a monthly expense.

• cleonard

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:08 PM

Trust me, if you had one of these street legal, you be collecting tickets like exploding terrorists. The temptation to ride the rear wheel everywhere you go would definitely get you in a lot of trouble. You'd laugh at speed limit signs and never get stuck in a traffic jam. Yes, rear tires would probably be a monthly expense.

Monthly! Hah! I can toast a tire no problem in a month on my XR600. With the CR500 motor it would be the tire of the week club.:thumbsup:

• AngryShawn

Posted December 19, 2006 - 10:57 PM

If you are inclined and have the ability, you can 'roll your own' AF for, check out this site for more info:
http://cr500riders.c...gi/yabb/YaBB.pl
Or just keep a sharp eye on cycletrader and craigslist and pick up an already plated CR500 like I did :thumbsup:

• Maroast

Posted December 19, 2006 - 11:04 PM

I must be a total p*ssy! I dont know what kind of sick-o can use all that power and live to tell about it. my xrr has almost killed me numerous times :thumbsup:

• jbird710

Posted December 20, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Monthly! Hah! I can toast a tire no problem in a month on my XR600. With the CR500 motor it would be the tire of the week club.:devil:

The reason I said monthly is you would probably be spending a good amount of time in jail, or at least in court, dealing with the tickets.:thumbsup:

• rebelventurer

Posted December 20, 2006 - 12:41 PM

In the article I read it stated "If we rode a blue groove track (hard packed) we fried the rear tire in 20 minutes!" So I think you could probably buy a tire everytime you rode! I agree it would take more restraint than I posess to ride on the street and stay out of trouble/jail.

• Triumphs

Posted December 21, 2006 - 01:08 PM

Just read an article about this beast, must say I am impressed with the concept only down side seems to be the price which starts at $8999 and can go way up from there. Basically a custom built rocket ship that will smoke (litterally) EVERYTHING else out there if you have the nads to twist the throttle.

I've had a couple CR500's in the past and they can be a hoot in the right conditions. But more often then not the extra power just translates into extra wheelspin and fatigue then additional forward momentum! There's a reason big four stokes have been winning the 500cc class of World Championship MX since 1993....they actually put the power to the ground.

• eastreich

Posted December 21, 2006 - 02:17 PM

If you really want to know more about the CR500AF's, and how easy it really is to do the conversion, go down the Honda 2-stroke forum. They've been building these things since the first aluminum frame CR250R came out.

I've ridden one of these before. They are all that they claim to be.

I'm probably going to build a KX250/500 hybrid. I've always liked the KX500 motor better than the CR. It has more top-end power due to the powervalves that the CR doesn't have. Plus I still have a few KX500 parts left over from the old days (pre XR650R).

• jbird710

Posted December 22, 2006 - 06:42 PM

Thoughts anyone?

You'll Put your eye out!:thumbsup:

Merry Christmas!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:28 PM

You'll Put your eye out!:devil:

Merry Christmas!

Sorry, I dont get it? :thumbsup:

• jbird710

Posted December 22, 2006 - 08:58 PM

Just a joke - play on the the Christmas Story - Merry Christmas!

• rebelventurer

Posted December 23, 2006 - 06:31 AM

I get it now the boy wanted the bb gun, and it was > you will put you eye out. Had to think about that one a minute. Merry Christmas, and yeah I wish I could have a 500 for Xmas, and you may me right, you could probably put your eye out on one of these things.

• ArmPump

Posted December 23, 2006 - 05:15 PM

Get it. The engine is bulletproof, the chassis supreme and you'll learn throttle control, by golly!

And you can also be on CR500Riders.com then.

• XRsteve

Posted December 24, 2006 - 10:25 AM

Did anyone look at the price of the accessories? They are priced higher than everybody else. Yeah, I don't think I'd be giving them any business.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 24, 2006 - 01:43 PM

I think they have a labor charge in there to install the accesories on your custom built bike, I appreciate the fact that theres a company out there thats thiking outside the box.
Have you seen how much they charge for a custom built chopper, that you can only stand to ride for 15 minutes, and dont even think about going off road on it!!!
Also they hhave a bike they call the Service Honda Junior, a cr85 chassis with a crf250x motor shoehorned into it also available totally custom built, they say the standard version is faster than a crf250x. How about putting a fast kid on that and running school boy, just modify the 250cc stamp on the cylinder to say 150cc. Electric start, headlight and tail light. Hell I want one for myself!!!

• jbird710

Posted December 24, 2006 - 02:46 PM

Did you see this $11000.00 beauty they have:
http://www.servicehonda.com/blueaf.htm
Posted Image

• rebelventurer

Posted December 24, 2006 - 03:58 PM

Texas J Bird, Thats almost too pretty to ride. However in my mind its much more practical than one of them $30-50K choppers. :thumbsup:

• jbird710

Posted December 24, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Texas J Bird, Thats almost too pretty to ride. However in my mind its much more practical than one of them $30-50K choppers. :thumbsup:

I'm with you; it would definitely be a "garage queen" as someone else described it. I truly don't understand the chopper mentality - I have a Harley bagger for long trips occasionally. But, some of those customs are so impractical to ride and cost so much; why bother unless you're rich beyond belief and have everything else you could ever need. My neighbor has a Bourget's hard tail with a long, springer front end and has told me more than once he's nearly ate it after hitting a pot hole. I see him riding maybe once every 4 - 6 months and that's to go bar hopping.

• screag01

Posted December 24, 2006 - 10:28 PM

Not that expensive really. A new KTM, Husky, 'Berg, Aprilia...etc., will all set you back seven to eight. The forthcoming BMW G 650 X I saw msrp at $11,000 (still looks fairly interesting though). So this excercise in excess is actually somewhat of a bargain.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.