Warm/hot rear brake rotor?

9 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted December 19, 2006 - 10:18 AM

My rear rotor gets warm/hot even when not being used. Is this normal. If I travel down a fast trail, without using the rear brake, the rotor is hot to the touch.

I replaced the rotor, pads and rebuilt the caliper. Any other idea's? Wheel bearings?

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 19, 2006 - 12:35 PM

Its normal for it to be pretty warm but not so hot that it burns you.

• slowxr

Posted December 19, 2006 - 01:03 PM

It doesn't get hot enough to burn but my front rotor is cool under the same conditions.
Sounds normal?

• eastreich

Posted December 19, 2006 - 01:23 PM

Your front rotor has great airflow to it to cool it down, while the rear rotor does not. This may be enough to get the rotor warm to the touch even if you do not use it.

It may not be easy to see, but if the rear wheel is even the slightest bit out of alignment, you will drag the pads slightly. This will also add to the heat factor in the rear rotor. It is much more difficult to have the rear wheel perfectly centered.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 19, 2006 - 04:01 PM

Did you flush the old fluid? Apply the proper lubricant so that it floats correctly? I agree warm is normal but hot without use, somethings not right! Could be as simple as wheel alignment, or as hard as having a bent or distorted caliper mount.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dos equis

Posted December 19, 2006 - 04:06 PM

i think your bike is just worn out and good for nothing but parts.i will buy it from you to releive you of this problem.please let me know where to send this $100 second party, post dated check to.xx

• rebelventurer

Posted December 19, 2006 - 04:15 PM

Dosequis, wrong forum dude. Try www.bultacobell/ecoli.com

• dos equis

Posted December 19, 2006 - 04:26 PM

nope im in the right place have 4 hondas and one bultaco,thats a spanish classic kiddo.xx

• wr450fyamaha

Posted December 19, 2006 - 05:16 PM

its normal.

• motopsycho650

Posted December 21, 2006 - 05:25 AM

My experience is the rear rotor warps pretty easily. I had to do pads & a rear rotor about 500 miles ago. I bought a standard replacement EBC rotor, and it's already warped, even though I torqued the bolts correctly.

Like the others, I say check the rear wheel alignment first. If it's a 650R, don't trust the adjustment marks, they don't line up. The best thing to do is measure each side from the center of the swing arm nut to the center of the axle. If you want to eliminate rotor warpage, you can order a EBC two piece rotor kit. A two piece rotor will not warp near as easily, but it has a larger diameter, so it can be more prone to getting hit against rocks , ect.

Also, make sure the sliding pins on the caliper are clean and greased. If the caliper does not float, one of the pads will rub. You may notice one pad wearing more than the other if the sliding pins are sticky.

If it's not burning hot, I wouldn't worry too much. just like a car, the pads are suppost the touch rotor slightly. This will create some heat.

Like eastreich said, the rear rotor does not get near as much air flow because of the plastic guard.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.