carrying stuff on my 650r

10 replies to this topic
  • oneshot

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:04 AM

i am planning a weekend of fun in big bend national park, and need some ideas on carrying stuff like water, extra gas, tools......i'm looking for a tail pack, or some kind of handlebar mounted bag to carry some stuff in, but i ain't havin any luck......any suggestions?

• chpxr

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:17 AM

how about a camel pack back pack for stuff and water and you can get small gas tanks that mount to the rear fender or behind the side plates and if you have a number plate they have one the mounts there also

• oneshot

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:21 AM

how about a camel pack back pack for stuff and water and you can get small gas tanks that mount to the rear fender or behind the side plates and if you have a number plate they have one the mounts there also

i'm kinda trying to stay away from the backpacks/fannypacks......got any links to where they sell the other stuff you mentioned?

• pcmartin

Posted December 19, 2006 - 01:12 PM

When we go to Baja we use Dog Packs as saddle bags and Quadboss sadddle bags on the gas tank. You can see the Quadboss bags at http://www.quadboss....D5?opendocument
and you can get dog packs at most any of the large outdoor outfitters, like REI.
http://www.rei.com/o...vcat=REI_SEARCH
We put 4 days worth of clothes in the dog packs and what ever else we need in the tank bags. We carry one liter MSR fuel bottles in the out side pouch of the saddle bags. Less than $75.00 total, some people really like Dirtbagz but they are a little pricey for me.

• dos equis

Posted December 19, 2006 - 03:54 PM

well the only national parks i am familier with dont allow off road vehical us,is big bend different?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted December 19, 2006 - 04:21 PM

XX, did you mean vehicle? You need to expand your horizons!!!

• dos equis

Posted December 19, 2006 - 04:23 PM

yup you figured it out so everyone else will also.xx

• cajun

Posted December 19, 2006 - 07:06 PM

Here is just what you need!
http://www.wolfmanlu...tion/index.html

• coloradooutlaw

Posted December 20, 2006 - 04:29 PM

My husband and a bunch of his friends were just on a day long poker run and we found them some great handlebar type plates. We found these plate things on www.DirtBikePro.com. they had a couple of colors to choose from. then the guys took a run to harbor freight tool store and bought inexpensive canvas type tool bags. They mounted the plates and the bags and WOW. They worked great. The plate was easy to mount on the front bars, out of the way and light. the bags held small tools, fix-a-flat and water and rain coats (maybe more, that just what i saw or helped with) The guys said the plates were awesome, light, held up great and they never knew they were there during the ride. The guys all still use their set ups. Hope this helps.

• ThunderChicken

Posted December 20, 2006 - 06:46 PM

I wouldn't carry any extra weight from the seat to the rear. The alu. subframe on the 650R has plenty of other reasons to bend to give it one more by placing any kind of extra load on it. It will be trashed in a heartbeat. I'll even go against the grain and say even a fender mounted pack is just asking that subframe to seek earlier than normal retirement.

• DualSport650

Posted December 20, 2006 - 08:58 PM

For those of you that want to carry a little weight on your fender, check this out...

Steel sub-frame extension by Dirt Bagz
http://www.moto-spor...bagz/extras.htm

Posted Image

Solid as a rock!

I had a Scott's Aluminum sub-frame, but it cracked.

The Dirt BagZ steel sub-frame rocks! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.