TwinAir PowerFlow 650R

14 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted December 19, 2006 - 05:34 AM

I was using a home made setup with a XR's Only high-flow backfire screen & a TwinAir standard replacement filter. The XR's Only backfire screen scratched the inside of the air box up, and the stock replacement filter left a small space around the filters sealing surface. I never had an issue with the seal, but it's an eye-sore.

I decided to order the actual TwinAir Power Flow Kit, and I am very happy. Only 40 buck from chaparral-racing.com. With the Twin Air cage, and the different foam construction, I think it will be even higher flowing, and has a solid seal around the entire filter.

I recommend a Power Flow Kit for any dirt biker. (sorry to those who's kit is over 100 bucks).

• cajun

Posted December 19, 2006 - 07:54 PM

I was using a home made setup with a XR's Only high-flow backfire screen & a TwinAir standard replacement filter. The XR's Only backfire screen scratched the inside of the air box up, and the stock replacement filter left a small space around the filters sealing surface. I never had an issue with the seal, but it's an eye-sore.

I decided to order the actual TwinAir Power Flow Kit, and I am very happy. Only 40 buck from chaparral-racing.com. With the Twin Air cage, and the different foam construction, I think it will be even higher flowing, and has a solid seal around the entire filter.

I recommend a Power Flow Kit for any dirt biker. (sorry to those who's kit is over 100 bucks).

I just can't see how this fits inside the stock air box. Can you explain this?
http://www.chaparral...t=false&GiftID=

• weskc35k

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:12 PM

Cajun that is not the 650 filter pictured.
I know because i use a Twin Air powerflow in my 650.
I still grease around the lip ,just a habit i guess.
But yeah the twin Air is a good thing.

• motopsycho650

Posted December 21, 2006 - 04:11 AM

I just can't see how this fits inside the stock air box. Can you explain this?

Yeah, chaparral does not show the 650R filter in the pic. Trust me, it's the same, flat panel style filter. The cool thing is, the kit comes with its' own metal cage. It slides inside the filter, which is put together like a pocket. It looks less restrictive that even their stock replacement filters.

If you look at the powerflow kit foam really close, it's actually looks like a 4 stage filter. The white layer has slightly bigger holes than Twin Air's stock replacement. Then you have two layers of orange foam forming the pocket. Looking really close, the first layer of orange foam has slightly bigger holes than the second layer. The second layer of orange foam has the same size holes as the stock replacement. Then finally you have the black, backfire resistant layer. That's really not going to be a filtering layer, because the holes a huge, but it's suppost to keep the filter from burning if you have a bad backfire.

• rockn6gs

Posted December 21, 2006 - 07:13 AM

Moto can you snap a picture of yours and post it??

• motopsycho650

Posted December 21, 2006 - 08:11 AM

Sure, Check it out:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

For some reason, Twin Air does not list this kit on the US website, but it is on the UK website. Chaparral-racing.com was the only other place I found where you can order it. My local motorcycle shop didn't even have a listing for it. The Twin Air part # for the kit is 150506c. Chaparral has it for 39.99 + shipping. Twin Air sold it for 47.99 + shipping. The only place I can find extra foams is straight from Twin Air, it's part #150506, and they go for 32.99 + shipping.

Links, if the pics don't work:
http://www.geocities...PowerFlow01.jpg
http://www.geocities...PowerFlow02.jpg
http://www.geocities...PowerFlow03.jpg

• motopsycho650

Posted December 21, 2006 - 08:15 AM

My old setup. It worked pretty well, but costs almost the same as the PowerFlow kit. As you can see, I cut out holes in the XR's Only backfire screen. I would recommend just going with the real PowerFlow kit.
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • weskc35k

Posted December 21, 2006 - 02:29 PM

MojoPsycho do you see where the sidepanel stay pushes against the Twin Air filter.Say two inches left and up about an inch while looking at it,see the cross mark.
I silicone a 5 cent piece to the sidepanel stay so it doesn't cut the filter,just a thought as mine have been in use for a while.

• motopsycho650

Posted December 21, 2006 - 05:45 PM

MojoPsycho do you see where the sidepanel stay pushes against the Twin Air filter.Say two inches left and up about an inch while looking at it,see the cross mark.
I silicone a 5 cent piece to the sidepanel stay so it doesn't cut the filter,just a thought as mine have been in use for a while.

that's a good idea. I never thought about it cutting the filter. But also, I've never stuck with the same setup for a long time.

I plan on getting one extra kit, so I'll have a filter & cage ready to go on long camp trips. Eventually I'll order a few extra foams too. Since I use No-Toil, I'll throw 3-4 dirty filters in the washing machine all at once.

• MindBlower

Posted December 21, 2006 - 08:10 PM

Sure, Check it out:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

For some reason, Twin Air does not list this kit on the US website, but it is on the UK website. Chaparral-racing.com was the only other place I found where you can order it. My local motorcycle shop didn't even have a listing for it. The Twin Air part # for the kit is 150506c. Chaparral has it for 39.99 + shipping. Twin Air sold it for 47.99 + shipping. The only place I can find extra foams is straight from Twin Air, it's part #150506, and they go for 32.99 + shipping.

Links, if the pics don't work:
http://www.geocities...PowerFlow01.jpg
http://www.geocities...PowerFlow02.jpg
http://www.geocities...PowerFlow03.jpg

How do you get the UK website?

• Timthetoolman

Posted December 22, 2006 - 03:19 PM

Hi guys I'm new here, was getting ready to post a thread asking about a better airbox seal, did a search instead & found this-gonna have to get one, thanks:thumbsup:

• motopsycho650

Posted December 22, 2006 - 04:12 PM

How do you get the UK website?

http://www.twinair.com Then click the non-USA link. I don't think you can order from there either. I ordered an extra foam from them by calling their 800 number. 1-800-749-2890

• motopsycho650

Posted December 22, 2006 - 04:14 PM

Hi guys I'm new here, was getting ready to post a thread asking about a better airbox seal, did a search instead & found this-gonna have to get one, thanks:thumbsup:

Welcome. This kit is nice and tight fitting. The seal around the airbox should be just fine. Another tip is to fill the groove with some water-proof grease. I hate No-Toil's Rim Grease, so I use Bel-Ray water-proof grease. No-Toil oil and cleaner is great though.

• Timthetoolman

Posted December 23, 2006 - 12:51 AM

Ordered the filter earlier, I'll get some grease too. I'd found some dirt in the intake the last time I cleaned the filter-that's unacceptable:thumbsdn:

• motopsycho650

Posted December 23, 2006 - 05:15 AM

That was a good idea, works great. Although, I just used a couple of flat washers about the same size as the X in the plastic. But, thanks again.

P.S. Those of you ordering the kit from chaparral, mine was backordered for a week before they sent it. It's worth the wait though...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.