sprocket is too loose

8 replies to this topic
  • skwerlee

Posted December 18, 2006 - 06:15 PM

I've noticed that my front sprocket is too loose on my 426f, it wiggles side to side on the shaft. The nut is plenty tight so I'm pretty sure its the spacers. I'm fixing to by new sprockets and a new chain for my bike to gear it down a tad, plus the chain is old. Is there any particular spacer that I need to make sure the front sprocket fits properly? Would a new set of sprockets come with the needed spacers? Thanks in advance

• TexN343

Posted December 19, 2006 - 01:05 AM

I haven't seen any sprockets come with the spacers. The only other thing that goes on the front sprocket is the lock washer what you bend over the nut.The only advise I can give you is when you replace sprockets always replace the chain and BOTH sprockets so there isn't uneven wear. If you do just replace one then the other wear extremely fast. I tested this myself.lol wasted money.

• skwerlee

Posted December 19, 2006 - 06:40 AM

thanks...the lock washer is what I was referring to. I'm going to replace both sprockets and the chain all together.

• skwerlee

Posted December 21, 2006 - 03:06 PM

So I took off my chain a front sprocket today to further inspect the front sprocket. Even when the lock nut is fully tightened there still is a little bit of play in the sprocket. Is that normal? Should it be so snug it doesn't wiggle at all? The lock washer and everything is in place like it should be. Any help would be great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skwerlee

Posted December 22, 2006 - 08:25 AM

bump...anyone?

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2006 - 07:13 PM

The sprocket should not move on the shaft, but the entire shaft may move a little if there is play in the bearing. If it moves on the shaft, you may have a problem with the seal collar behind the sprocket.

• skwerlee

Posted December 25, 2006 - 06:13 PM

The sprocket should not move on the shaft, but the entire shaft may move a little if there is play in the bearing. If it moves on the shaft, you may have a problem with the seal collar behind the sprocket.

It's just the sprocket that is moving slightly, not the shaft. I talked to my mechanic “extremely experienced” and he told me that some bikes do have a little bit of movement in the front sprocket but as long as the lock nut is securely tightened it won't be a problem. Also he said that if my chain was too loose for a really long period of time it's possible that it may have caused the front sprocket to wear unusually.

• Fastest1

Posted December 26, 2006 - 06:56 AM

You can use a spacer behind the sprocket and it is done sometimes when an oring chain is used. But the sprocket shouldnt be loose. Are you running a stock width chain and sprockets? It was common practice in roadracing to go from the stock 630 chain down to a 530 supposedly less drag. I have not seen this done on the dirt but it wouldnt surprise me. The countershaft sprockets were sometimes held on with circlips. They wobbled a bit with no problems.

• skwerlee

Posted December 26, 2006 - 03:58 PM

You can use a spacer behind the sprocket and it is done sometimes when an oring chain is used. But the sprocket shouldnt be loose. Are you running a stock width chain and sprockets? It was common practice in roadracing to go from the stock 630 chain down to a 530 supposedly less drag. I have not seen this done on the dirt but it wouldnt surprise me. The countershaft sprockets were sometimes held on with circlips. They wobbled a bit with no problems.

I know that the rear sprocket is an aftermarket Renthal with an O-Ring chain, IDK if the front sprocket is factory or even if the chain is the factory size as I'm not the original owner. I'm gonna' order this Renthal sprocket and chain combo http://www.motosport....15&nav=3&sMMY= I'm going to go from the factory sized 49t rear sprocket to a 52t one, and the front will be the factory size 14t. Will the Renthal 120 link R1 gold chain that comes with this combo be long enough since I’m going up 3 teeth in the rear? Also would the DID ERT Gold 2 chain be a better choice? I'm gonna see how the new front sprocket fits before I look into getting some spacers. Thanks for the help guys!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.