Tires...

11 replies to this topic
  • CRF100biker

Posted December 18, 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hello guys. Recently my mom's BF has been letting me borrow his 98' YZ400F and man it rips. I'm wicked lucky to know such a nice guy like him. But my trouble begins with I ride in sand a lot. So I've been thinking paddle tires. What would be a good brand of paddle tire that fits this bike? Thanks.

• TMAC25

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:52 PM

Just deflate the rear tire to 8psi and you will be fine, it is a world of difference from 16 psi. I don’t even run paddles anymore; I think 8psi in a good knobby is just as good if not better.

• Stroked

Posted December 19, 2006 - 12:11 PM

Those dunlop 952's do pretty good in sand. Actually does good on all surfaces. Where do you ride?

• CRF100biker

Posted December 19, 2006 - 01:25 PM

Behind the Five Town Plaza in Springfield, MA. I totally forgot about deflating the tires first. Also on that day it was backfiring. A lot. As the day went on it cleared out but we refueled it and it started again. Stale gas maybe?

I just love this bike so much. Surprisingly easy to kick, you can ride it slow or fast (too fast), handles great nad the suspension soaks up the bumps like they weren't there. The only complaints I have to say about it is it's way too heavy and the lack of engine braking when going down a steep hill. Also seems to die pretty quickly if you even touch the rear brake. Oh well the good outweighs the bad.

• Stroked

Posted December 20, 2006 - 12:25 AM

Backfiring could be due to your fuel screw being out of adjustment. You can search the forum for the amount of turns out.

• AlkalineOne

Posted December 20, 2006 - 07:33 PM

Just deflate the rear tire to 8psi and you will be fine, it is a world of difference from 16 psi. I don’t even run paddles anymore; I think 8psi in a good knobby is just as good if not better.

i have ran my 98 yz400f in the sand with a paddle and without. i dropped down to around 8psi with a soft-terrain/sand nobby and it didnt even come close in performance compaired to an 8 paddle tire. if you want the bike to feel like it has half the power, go with the nobby,:thumbsup: but if you want the ripping power that the bike has to offer, then get a paddle! no question.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SDBSKI

Posted December 31, 2006 - 07:34 AM

Flywheel weights will add engine braking and will make it harder to stall. The previous owner installed a WR flywheel on my YZ400. It tames it down for recreational riding. Maybe you can talk the owner into it?

• CRF100biker

Posted December 31, 2006 - 12:33 PM

Nah I'm not gonna modify the motor. I might be racing it next year. Then again if I'm racing it I won't be able to use a paddle. :lol: Nah the backfiring was due to the stale gas. It's jetted perfectly. Anyone else have a problem with getting the sparkplug out on theirs with the stock wrench Yamaha included? The way the frame goes over the engine you can't get the wrench down into the hole far enough to get the spark plug out. Stupid move on Yamaha's part.

• BergArabia

Posted December 31, 2006 - 01:11 PM

I use a paddle on my YZ450 and it hooks up amazingly.
The tire is cheap. Cheaper than a stock tire I think.
Like 50 bucks.
Mine is a Cheng Seng Sand Snake.. 10 paddle tire and I have smoked everything I have come against in the impromptu drags up the big dunes here.
Including a CRF450 with similar tire.
But it is way fast than a quad with thier paddles..
And yeah paddles are faster in the sand than normal tires.

• Kyle Prior

Posted December 31, 2006 - 06:09 PM

I use a Kings Turbo 8 paddle tire, and its awesome. Grips like nothing else, and shoots roost as high as my head.

• CRF100biker

Posted December 31, 2006 - 09:42 PM

I use a paddle on my YZ450 and it hooks up amazingly.
The tire is cheap. Cheaper than a stock tire I think.
Like 50 bucks.
Mine is a Cheng Seng Sand Snake.. 10 paddle tire and I have smoked everything I have come against in the impromptu drags up the big dunes here.
Including a CRF450 with similar tire.
But it is way fast than a quad with thier paddles..
And yeah paddles are faster in the sand than normal tires.

Dirtbikes will always be faster in a straight like if both vehciles have the same displacement. They weigh less. The dirtbike will be ahead on a track too if the dirtbiker doesn't totally suck, but I ride in a dirt like sand. It's not sand like dunes. Maybe I should get a 6 paddle? Or is more always better?

• BergArabia

Posted January 01, 2007 - 09:18 AM

As for more being better..
Not sure, but it makes sense that the more paddles the more traction.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.