what kind of oil in steering damper?

3 replies to this topic
  • s.c.rider

Posted January 01, 2002 - 12:57 PM

What kind of oil do I put in my Scott's damper?
I loosened the slow screw too much and then turned the bars and all of the oil shot out of it. someone said i could use ATF but I don't know.
Any help is really appreciated.

• rwcfrank

Posted January 01, 2002 - 01:05 PM

A light hydraulic fluid should be fine.. I would try hydraulic jack oil, its a light viscosity(sp)hydraulic oil...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted January 01, 2002 - 02:43 PM

According to the scotts manual, 2.5 wt suspension fluid or scotts damper fluid. The Scotts fluid has a nice bottle with a tip that fits into the fill holes perfectly.

If you go with something other than Scotts, try to find a syringe to inject the fluid. Much easier, I promise. Your vetwill have ones that fit perfectly, too.

Are you going to change the fluid as well?

• MX_Tuner

Posted January 01, 2002 - 03:59 PM

I use Spectro 125/150 suspension fluid for Scotts dampers. This is as close as I have come to the stock Scotts fluid damping characteristics.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.