Woods Bike Advise Please

7 replies to this topic
  • Indiana

Posted December 18, 2006 - 12:52 PM

I am currently riding an 03 YZ450 with the heavy gytr flywheel weight, gearing changed, front suspension redone and subtanks. I was getting ready to have the rear suspension re-valved, and possibly add a rekluse. I mostly ride HS and GP's. I truly love the hard hit the motor gives (I know some don't like it). But, yesterday I rode my friends 06 KTM 450xc and man I couldn't believe how plush that bike felt and how well it handled. I know I was faster on that bike after two laps. It made me wonder if I would ever get my bike track that well and feel that good. I really hate the "dumbed" down feel of a bike like a WR so I'd rather ride a mx'er with mods. Should I keep dumping money into mine or trade it off? Ya know a e-start would also be kinda handy too. I really want to support my local Yami guys but I think KTM has got the woods thing licked.

• NorCal

Posted December 18, 2006 - 01:04 PM

Have you ridden a 2006-2007 YZ450? Ever thought about that bike?

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 18, 2006 - 01:04 PM

I'd rather ride a mx'er with mods..

I hear ya'. :thumbsup:

It sounds like you have your bike set up pretty well but there is no replacement for how things "feel" to you.

The Rekluse will make it a completely different bike and I would recommend it to anybody that rides woods.

That being said, were I to go after the 'ultimate' woods bike I would start with a YZ250 two-smoker, throw a Rekluse on it, an FMF gnarly pipe, and go from there.

For an off the showroom floor woods bike I would go with a KTM 250 or 300 XC-W (two stroke).

• NorCal

Posted December 18, 2006 - 01:13 PM

The Rekluse will make it a completely different bike and I would recommend it to anybody that rides woods.

I don't understand why a rekluse would make you faster. I use my clutch so much in the woods, hillclimbs, wheeling (spelling?) over logs, and especially whipping the rear tire around turns. How do you do this without a clutch?

Sorry for the off topic question.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted December 18, 2006 - 01:27 PM

I don't understand why a rekluse would make you faster. I use my clutch so much in the woods, hillclimbs, wheeling (spelling?) over logs, and especially whipping the rear tire around turns. How do you do this without a clutch?

Sorry for the off topic question.:thumbsup:

Just twist the throttle! Hillclimbing with a rekluse is so much easier it is like cheating.

• bboyce

Posted December 18, 2006 - 01:51 PM

A rekluse is kinda preference. I cannot see myself riding with a Rekluse, the Clutch is my best friend, and I don't even realize its there anymore. For some people they work miracles, but for others, it can be kinda a waste. :thumbsup:

• felix 222

Posted December 18, 2006 - 01:56 PM

Have you ridden a 2006-2007 YZ450? Ever thought about that bike?

:thumbsup:

• Indiana

Posted December 18, 2006 - 03:34 PM

Yeah, I've thought a lot about an 06 or 07 but don't know if I will be that much ahead of where I am now considering what I do. I have been thinking about 2 smoke quit alot but am not sure about giving up the luggability (word?) of the 450 and I really love getting out in the open and just pulling away. I really just couldn't believe the suspension difference. Will I get that with my rear suspension upgrade?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.