YZ cams

19 replies to this topic
  • Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 17, 2006 - 09:35 PM

What is the low-down on YZ cams for WR's? I've heard about them, and read a lttle but not sure about how much they improve the bike. Anybody installed them? How difficult? Price? Overall worth it? Any info appreciated.

• clark4131

Posted December 17, 2006 - 09:39 PM

"YZ Cam" Search results...250 threads, 1.17 seconds. You have homework...SC

• Wasabi

Posted December 17, 2006 - 10:12 PM

What is the low-down on YZ cams for WR's? I've heard about them, and read a lttle but not sure about how much they improve the bike. Anybody installed them? How difficult? Price? Overall worth it? Any info appreciated.

I don't know why they have the exhaust cam timing the way they do on the WR's when YZ exhaust cam timing is so much more awesome! The YZ exhaust cam provide an awesome mid range punch and makes riding the bike so much more fun.

Installation is extremely easy, they cost ~$90. Worth it? You bet ya! :thumbsup:

• Punisher660

Posted December 17, 2006 - 10:16 PM

As for Bleeds Blue - the lowdown is:

The bike seems to rev-out a little more and the powerband hits a little harder.
Cost is anywhere from $125 - $200
Installation is not difficult, but time consuming - about 1.5 hours

Pros: A little harder hit, faster revving (or at least feels that way)
Cons: None that I have found so far. Other say it looses its tractability in the slick stuff, but throttle and clutch controll can solve that.

• Fullbore4

Posted December 17, 2006 - 10:33 PM

YZ cam.........yes........big improvement low and high.....just take your time putting in it....use moly grease and engine oil where shown in manual and use a good small torque wrench.

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 18, 2006 - 05:13 AM

Thank you to those who provided useful information. I did a search before I posted this thread and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Most posts were all over the place, went in all different directions. :thumbsup:

• WR450_Mike

Posted December 19, 2006 - 05:59 PM

I was told by a local dealer that you could advance the exhaust cam timing one tooth and then it would be the same as the YZ. Anyone know if that is true?

• FOZZ

Posted December 19, 2006 - 06:18 PM

Any special knowledge or tools needed for this job ?

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 19, 2006 - 07:27 PM

I was told by a local dealer that you could advance the exhaust cam timing one tooth and then it would be the same as the YZ. Anyone know if that is true?

Nope. The pre '03 WR's could do that but if you do it on the '03 -'07's the auto decomp will not work correctly. Do a search. There's lot's of info on this.

• Wasabi

Posted December 20, 2006 - 06:14 AM

Any special knowledge or tools needed for this job ?

8mm socket and small wrench.
Maybe torque wrench for the 4 cam cap bolts, but not necessary.
Job is very easy. Just read your manual first. Set your bike up as you would check valve clearances, then take out the auto chain tentioner. Take the cam cap off (watch for cam clip!) and cam comes out. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Punisher660

Posted December 20, 2006 - 09:37 AM

It does still hold true for the YFZ450 Quad 04'-05' though.

• sheriffwoody

Posted December 20, 2006 - 10:16 AM

Do I need to switch both cams to the YZ sticks or just the exhaust cam and advance the intake?

• Fullbore4

Posted December 20, 2006 - 07:04 PM

No.......YZ intake is same part as WR intake cam

• Jasonyamaha

Posted December 20, 2006 - 09:28 PM

I have a 06 wr 450. I had a shop retard exhaust cam now engine makes loud timing type noise. Any one heard of this.

• clark4131

Posted December 21, 2006 - 07:17 AM

The shop retard retarded your cam and now you have problems! You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT do that with a 450! You must replace the cam with a YZ version because of the decomp pin. Do Not restart your bike as you're looking at possibly killing your valvetrain with the improper timing if you haven't already damaged it. The noise you are hearing is not good. Pull off the valve cover and put it back to factory specs or buy the YZ cam. Just another example of why you don't take your bike to the dealer. Best of luck...SC

• GCannon

Posted December 21, 2006 - 02:00 PM

I have a 06 wr 450. I had a shop retard exhaust cam now engine makes loud timing type noise. Any one heard of this.

I Guess You did not read the sticky note at the top of the forum!
"A word to Newbies" :thumbsup:

There are three threads for you to read (soon) at the top of this forum:eek:

If the Yamaha Dealer really did that you might not want to go back.

• farkawi

Posted December 21, 2006 - 08:35 PM

The only way that you can adjust the timing on the 450s with the decompression pin; is to press the sprocket off of the cam and adjust the timing prior to pressing the sprocket back on. This is NOT a job for the amateur/casual mechanic types. (myself included) The catch 22 here is that to pay a professional to do the procedure costs as much as a the price of a YZ cam (or close enough) So I'd pop for the YZ cam and be happy!

• MountainMax

Posted December 22, 2006 - 09:37 PM

I put a yz cam in mine, had to jet her some more to get her to start fine with the magic button, but worth it, she wheelies much better now........

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 23, 2006 - 04:15 PM

I put a yz cam in mine, had to jet her some more to get her to start fine with the magic button, but worth it, she wheelies much better now........

What jets did you change? I have a YZ cam sitting on my bench collecting dust because the e-button wouldn't start the bike reliably anymore. Would love to put the YZ cam back in, but don't want to sacrafice the button.

• MountainMax

Posted December 23, 2006 - 05:30 PM

i put in a richer starter jet, pilot jet and main jet, moved the clip down one position and put in a smaller leak jet, forget the numbers off hand, I used indys jetting though in the sticky above but went one more higher on pilot and main, but the biggest thing that helped me start the bike was to use the hot start lever every time the engine was warm and when she was cold to slowly roll the throttle twice and pull on the choke, and she fires up 99% of the time now. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.