New 400 owner

12 replies to this topic
  • SpceSpff

Posted December 17, 2006 - 09:27 PM

Hey guys, just got a 99' YZ400F today. My first dirt bike. I have very little dirt bike experience, but I owned a 2002 300EX for a couple years, and have about 20,000 street bike miles under my belt.

Just wanted to introduce myself, and post a few pics. I will be on here a whole bunch. One question also. I did a few hot laps down my street (:thumbsup: ) and at one point, I was in neutral and was looking behind me while stopped. I reach to depress the clutch and hit the decompression lever on accident. The engine died immediately. It did start right up on the first or second kick however. Should I be worried? Thanks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• xxdemzxx

Posted December 17, 2006 - 10:29 PM

Nice clean looking bike, and no pulling in the lever didnt do any damage.

• 642MX

Posted December 18, 2006 - 07:23 AM

Welcome to TT.

Nice bike, very clean. I'd recommend getting rid of the decompression lever. Check the top of the page, grayracer has started a thread that has links to all the FAQ about the YZF's.

• buzzgrizz

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:14 AM

I have those same graphics and if there new the tank wil look good for a couple of weeks and the bubble badly the the white part on the tank will turn brownish. I put my new graphics on my 426 went on a trip for a week came back and the tank was all bubbled. But very nice bike.

• SpceSpff

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:33 AM

Thanks guys.

How does that affect starting, with the lever removed?

Also, I heard that a blow dryer can get rid of the faded areas of the blue plastics. Is this true?

• jayh300

Posted December 18, 2006 - 09:09 AM

you have to change cams to get rid of decomp lever. I just bought a like 99 yz400f, you will learn they are a different beast. Get a manual on it as some of the specs and maint. is different. I am really growing to love mine. It appears to still have the stock head pipe on it, the bad thing about that is you have to remove it to change the oil filter. If you find a 426 head pipe it fixes that. Also.... make sure your coolant is fresh, i put engine ice in mine, and don't ride the bike slow as these bikes are prone to overheat and puke fluid in slow tight riding. I guess you have been taught the starting drill, if not do a search and practice starting it and you will enjoy it more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • torqueme

Posted December 18, 2006 - 11:00 AM

Welcome to the club SpceSpff. Nice 400, i don't think i could get mine that clean if i tore it down & split the cases. just position the decomp lever up away from the clutch so you aren't able to grab it by accident. you need that, or the auto decomp cam conversion to fire the beast. have fun...

• yamaha racing 230

Posted December 19, 2006 - 03:30 PM

nice i wish my yz 400f looked that sweet but i go through mud with mine so it wouldnt be clean long lol . how much did u pay for ures and dont they seenm just alittle underpowerd but alsome bikes tho just get use to cluching it in the woods that dam high first gear lol. enjoy that beast

• CRF100biker

Posted December 19, 2006 - 03:49 PM

Very nice. I ride a 98'. Yamaha knew what they were doing when they made these. Except for the weight part.

• grayracer513

Posted December 19, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Given the frame of reference at the time, even the weight wasn't bad. Compare to a TT500 or older bikes without the suspension, etc. I remember people were properly astounded by the '71 BSA Victor weighing less than 280. Remember too, the 400 won the SX championship in it's first year. How big a shock do you think that was?

• much2fear

Posted December 19, 2006 - 06:14 PM

Awesome bike, man. Really clean.

• SpceSpff

Posted December 19, 2006 - 06:42 PM

What does the 400 weigh? 250 or so? I was looking to buy an XR650 before this, so this will be a breeze compared to the XR's weight. That, and, my Ninja weighs about 360 pounds. I think with my size and physical abilities I'll be OK. I can't wait to take it out this weekend and see just how fast it really is :thumbsup:

I got the bike for $2400, and that included 4 new NO Toil air filters, a pair of used once Thor boots, 3 black front fenders, a black rear fender, brand new Smith goggles, spare rotor, and a quart of oil. Got the owners manual too. I think I got a great deal. Rear tire is brand new also.

• jayh300

Posted December 20, 2006 - 06:02 AM

i think mine,99 yz400f, in the manual says 245 without fuel, but don't hold me to that. Man that bike is clean !!!!!!!!!!!!! It feels a little heavy, loading and unloading, as compared to my rmx250, but once you start riding it, that all goes away. I have an endurance computer on mine and most of our trail riding is pretty tight, but we hit 60 pretty regular. I think I read somewhere the top speed was in the 80's.
enjoy
jay

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.