Leak jet vs. BK mod

7 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted December 17, 2006 - 06:20 PM

As I try to get an understanding of the YZ426 carburator's short-comings I've figured out the "too much squirt is the cause of your bog" theory but I'm still not clear on whether the leak jet can provide the same fix as the BK mod. I made the mistake of going in the wrong direction with a potential fix by adding the Quickshot AP cover and had negative results, therefor it's getting yanked off. The BK mod should help time the squirt, right...but what does adding a leak jet do, and wouldn't it be a simpler fix? Can someone explain this to me.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted December 17, 2006 - 06:41 PM

The BK mod came about because originally the carbs didn't have leak jets. The leak jet is the cure, the BK mod was the temp. fix. If your carb still has a bowl without a leak jet, order one from JD jetting and say so long to the bog.

• Fastest1

Posted December 17, 2006 - 07:05 PM

? I dont believe a leak jet is used til 03'. No leak jet came with my JD Jetting Kit! I run the BK/GB mod the Boyesen, but I had my bog cured before installing the cover. The mod mostly addressed 2000-2001 concerns.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted December 17, 2006 - 07:26 PM

I should have been more clear. JD has an FCR float bowl with leak jet upgrade and from what I remember it's not to pricey. Certainly worth it for the older model bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted December 18, 2006 - 05:02 AM

I have never heard that one before. Dont have the problems anymore so I dont keep up as well as I used to.

• skthom2320

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:58 PM

LOL! It cracks me up that everyone automatically says to do the BK mod on all the 426's! That mod worked great for the '00 bikes. But by '02 Yamaha had it pretty well dialed.

Tweak your fuel screw and the AP screw to get things dialed. Don't bother with the BK mod until you do that.

Sorry, but I can't help but offer the contrarian view...

• jbrooks26

Posted December 20, 2006 - 02:43 AM

BK mod on my 02 worked wonders. However, had a float bowl with leak jet been available when I did this I probably would have gone that route. Just my 2c.

Josh

• Goosedog

Posted December 20, 2006 - 04:03 AM

Can a bowl w/ leak jet from an '03 not be used on my '02?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.