is the 07 model really worth it??

18 replies to this topic
  • panaman

Posted December 17, 2006 - 02:41 PM

I have been wanting to get a WR450 for some time now...
I currently ride a DRZ400S model.. which I will keep for dualsporting....

But I been getting the itch to do some hair scrambles and the WR450 seems it will do just the job and make a good trail bike to add to my growing collection of bikes......

As money is no option... i am willing to spend the $7K on an 07 model... but at the same time, there is a guy in the classifieds that is not far from me selling an 04 WR450 with 800 miles on it... for $3500 bucks....

I know the frame and stuff are different on the new one.. but is the bike just so much better in 07? Or are the differences not very noticable?

• msgbean

Posted December 17, 2006 - 02:49 PM

I had an 03 and it is no different than an 04 and believe me the 07 feels so much lighter and turns so much better and the suspension is great.

• ffgman

Posted December 17, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I have an 04 and there is no comparing the two, my 07 feels like it 30 pounds lighter even though it isnt. The difference is like going from rosie o donnel and then going to jessica simpson. theres no comparison. If money isnt an option, then get the 07.

• 520Roost

Posted December 17, 2006 - 05:35 PM

I have an 04 and there is no comparing the two, my 07 feels like it 30 pounds lighter even though it isnt. The difference is like going from rosie o donnel and then going to jessica simpson. theres no comparison. If money isnt an option, then get the 07.

YES.:thumbsup:

• splitpunk

Posted December 17, 2006 - 08:33 PM

My 07 WR 450 seems lighter than my 06 Wr250 :thumbsup: which I still have. After doing a few mods on the 07 I really love the 07. The first weekend I took it out we put about 125 miles on it.:cry: I actually felt the rings seat and man. 10, 15 mile woop sections, rock drops and even way too deep sand sections and she took it all in stride.:devil: As you can tell I broke it in hard with some guys that ride the Baja 1000 and broke it in like I ride. I had too I was just following their dust cloud and would have been lost if I did not keep up.:bonk: love my 07...:smirk: :smirk:

• Murray Dorward

Posted December 17, 2006 - 09:11 PM

The new 07 WR450 feels like you are riding a YZ250 the bike is very narrow and not top heavy like the 06 model. My freind has a 05 wr450 and Ipulled him from first throught to top gear and he couldn't keep up. I have riden bikes for years and this is by far the best money spent to date.

Cheers

Muz

• panaman

Posted December 18, 2006 - 06:54 AM

well thanks... 07 it is

• Just034

Posted December 18, 2006 - 10:24 AM

Not to bring up old threads but where are all the naysayers who wished they still had the steel frame and that they did not like the direction the 07 WR450 was going?

• clark4131

Posted December 18, 2006 - 10:29 AM

Right here! If you're going to troll, be prepared to reap the whirlwind :thumbsup:...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fullbore4

Posted December 18, 2006 - 11:28 AM

Not to bring up old threads but where are all the naysayers who wished they still had the steel frame and that they did not like the direction the 07 WR450 was going?

Nobody has said not to improve the frame if you deem the alum is an improvement. I read where the main reason for an alum frame was for strength since the amount of steel had been diminished so much in pursuit of making them lighter.....one drawback to this frame is the hideous amount of hassle getting to the carb to simply change a jet......as far as handling, I have to ride one before I believe any subjective statement made on here.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 18, 2006 - 12:24 PM

Good point....

• steve lemley

Posted December 18, 2006 - 03:31 PM

What a bad visual with a good ending!!!

• BIGchiefKODIAK

Posted December 18, 2006 - 06:44 PM

Well power wise I thought the 04 was better. I asked the same question before I purchased. Most people said the 04 was more powerful and have better snap on the throttle, due to the fact that this year was no california green sticker legal. I got the 04 and put in some yz cams and it rips. My buddy has a 06 but we never race because he always has his 6.6 gallon tank filled. I think the frame is the selling point. See if you can ride the two first then you will know.

• Murray Dorward

Posted December 18, 2006 - 09:38 PM

I rode my 07 then jumped directly onto a 05 model and the differance in handling is immediate. The 07 feels like you are riding a motorcrosser and the WR 05 feels top heavy. Once you manage to get a ride on one you will know what I'm talking about. I have been racing enduro,harescrambles (hare and hounds) in South Africa for about eight years. In this time I've had a KDX200 '95 , KTM250 '96, WR250 '97, YZ/WR250 '00 and a YZ/WR250 '01. I've also riden all the other brands on outrides with freinds and to date the 07 WR450 has been the biggest eye opener yet. As you can see I only rode two strokes but I have owned a four stroke. I enjoyed riding my freinds WR450 05 model but I found that you I got serious arm pump from trying to ride over rocks. The 07 model is so much easier to ride and doesn't stall as much as the 05 model when you are on tight stuff.apart from loading the bike on my pickup you dont feel the weight when you ride the bike.

Cheers

Muz

• Just034

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:34 AM

Nobody has said not to improve the frame if you deem the alum is an improvement. I read where the main reason for an alum frame was for strength since the amount of steel had been diminished so much in pursuit of making them lighter.....one drawback to this frame is the hideous amount of hassle getting to the carb to simply change a jet......as far as handling, I have to ride one before I believe any subjective statement made on here.

http://www.thumperta...highlight=steel

• Fullbore4

Posted December 19, 2006 - 11:14 AM

http://www.thumperta...highlight=steel

Just034........I rest my case..... Anyone who doesn't understand the gist of that thread needs to go back to school........where oh where are those guys that used to post?......I want to learn.

• kc55555

Posted December 19, 2006 - 06:52 PM

Just034........I rest my case..... Anyone who doesn't understand the gist of that thread needs to go back to school........where oh where are those guys that used to post?......I want to learn.

Out riding and not TALKING!!

• joshbeene

Posted December 19, 2006 - 07:42 PM

I like the new aluminum frame, and getting to the carb is easy. I rejetted and uncorked it withought removing the carb from the bike. They switched over to allen bolts instead of brass phillips head screws holding on the float bowl. What a difference that makes in working on it. No more stripping out float bowl screws. I had an 05 WR450 for 2 years and I must say that the 07 is a lot better. I noticed better power, handling, and more bottom end power especially. To get to the carb all you have to do is unbolt the subfram (3 bolts, and unbolt the rear shock.

• WRfanatic

Posted December 20, 2006 - 05:50 PM

So I went from 03 WR250F to 06 WR450F mainly for more grunt in this CO altitude

Now I feel I am riding top heavy pig

Is the 07 WR450 much better ?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.