fork seals

10 replies to this topic
  • DAVID146

Posted December 17, 2006 - 02:31 PM

3 weeks ago I had my fork seals replace because they were leaking. It was done by a expert in this type of work replaced with moose seals. Two rides later they a leaking again I keep the air bleed off. Has anyone had this problem?

2006 yz 450 11 months old
200# rider stock setup

• cpifer

Posted December 17, 2006 - 08:27 PM

I replaced my stock seals with 'moose' and have had excellent luck with them. They got atleast 4 super muddy gp races on them, the mud took my stock ones out.

• 02YZ426

Posted December 17, 2006 - 08:36 PM

My forks leak all the time. Its a pain. I'm on my 3rd set right now, this time I bought factory connection seals.. hofully they are better than stock ones.

• 700MX

Posted December 17, 2006 - 09:44 PM

3 weeks ago I had my fork seals replace because they were leaking. It was done by a expert in this type of work replaced with moose seals. Two rides later they a leaking again I keep the air bleed off. Has anyone had this problem?

2006 yz 450 11 months old
200# rider stock setup

I would say the internals might not have gotten cleaned of the old oil completely. When I changed my seals on my new 07......I could not believe all the particles from the coatings inside the fork. It was even the second oil change, and there was coating "flakes" in my oil. After seeing this, I took extra time cleaning things of the old oil. I would say whoever did your forks might not have taken the time to clean everything of your oil oil

I used FC seals with good luck

• dwnlowx

Posted December 18, 2006 - 09:15 AM

i just got a race tech gold revalve and seals and my forks begin leaking after 3 rides

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted December 18, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Buy some Seal Savers. They really do help. :thumbsup:

• mudhog426

Posted December 18, 2006 - 07:17 PM

Even though you just had the seals replaced, I wouldn't think it would be impossible that you may have already gotten some dirt stuck in them. Have you tried cleaning them yet? I'm also wondering about the condition of the tubes themself. You never said how bad the seals were leaking. Could it be that the tubes have grooves worn in them? Just wondering......

• cor3720

Posted December 19, 2006 - 10:15 AM

I have an 05 yz250 as well as an 06 yz450f. When the fork seals began to leak I took a tear off, carb cleaner, and a clean rag. I sprayed the carb cleaner on the tear off, then wiped it clean. I used the rag to wipe the fork clean. I then slid the tear off up the fork into the seal area. Make sure you slide the tear off all of the way around the fork. This has worked 4-5 times. What often happens is small particles,( dirt, small rocks ) get lodged into the seal and causes the leak. On my 05 it was leaking oil after the first ride. I was pissed. I tried this and it didn't do it again. Hope this helps.

• flintlock28

Posted December 19, 2006 - 11:10 AM

What cor3720 said......

• JRAMBO

Posted December 19, 2006 - 12:09 PM

I have had the same problem leaking after 2-3 rides with brand new seals.I think they just get crap stuck in them I am trying to keep them clean this time see if they last longer.

• mudhog426

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:41 PM

Do what 642MX suggested and buy a set of seal savers or one of the other brands. Definitely cheap insurance and they look great on the bike too.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.