1987 XR 600 No Spark?

16 replies to this topic
  • RShaips

Posted December 17, 2006 - 02:29 PM

I have a 1987 XR600 that I took on trade from a guy. It started and ran pretty good at first, then it would die when it was running hard and then nothing. It was impossible to get started again. So I took the carbs apart several times and cleaned them and set the floats. Now I have no spark! any ideas? Thanks for the help

• XR250rdr

Posted December 17, 2006 - 05:34 PM

The older XRs are known to develop bad stators on occasion.

A new one with 2x100W lighting coils can be had for about $150 or so. Its also possible to rewind the ignition coils on the stator. http://justxr.com/justxr.html has an article on doing it.

• cleonard

Posted December 17, 2006 - 05:45 PM

It's not too hard. I did it on my 93 XR600 a few years ago. Finding the right wire may be the most difficult part. Search for my posts on the subject for some more info. The page at justXRs is http://justxr.com/jaw/stator.html

If you don't want to deal with it yourself and don't want to spend $130+shipping, keep an eye on ebay. Stators show up there and go for a lot less.

• RShaips

Posted December 17, 2006 - 07:52 PM

You think thats the problem? I was kinda lening that way. hate to spend the $ unless I am sure though. Thanks

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:20 AM

You think thats the problem? I was kinda lening that way. hate to spend the $ unless I am sure though. Thanks

Probably so, I have one you can have for the price of shipping and 15 bucks. It is off a 87 XR600R and looks to be in fine condition. The stator that is. Let me know!

• rebelventurer

Posted December 18, 2006 - 01:55 PM

Get a manual and a digital multimeter, test the stator, rectifier, ignition control module, and coil, oh check your fuses too. Know what you need before you start throwing parts at it! Good luck and let us know what it was!

• RShaips

Posted December 18, 2006 - 04:16 PM

I have the factory manual with all the info, but I am a little bit meter stupid! Thats one thing I have never used in all my many years of shade tree mechanicism!

• RShaips

Posted December 18, 2006 - 07:38 PM

If I buy a meter anything special I need? See lots on ebay for cheap. And when checking all of these parts I guess I need to kick the bike over to get any readings? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lhark

Posted December 19, 2006 - 04:59 PM

I did the checks by the Honda manual, ended up buying a lot of things I didn't need. The stator was bad. It happened twice in the 10 years I had the thing. I had mine rewound both times, and it worked great, although the first one I replaced might have been a little fragile, cuz it quit after a couple of years. The price you pay sometimes, I suppose. I have the coil, black box, and pulser coil to prove it. Good luck with your hunting.

• RShaips

Posted December 19, 2006 - 05:16 PM

Well we will see what happens, maybe I can take them off your hands. What happened when you checked everything, did they show up on the meter being bad? If thats the case I will just buy the stator from Sniper and put it on. Thanks for the help

• cajun

Posted December 19, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Stators do go bad on these old bikes. Many times they go bad because of the engine running to hot. They usually start running hot because people have opened up the airbox, filter, and exhaust and cause it to run to lean. But there is no way to know without monitering the temp.

Another big problem with these old bikes is the connectors themselves where the plug plugs into the CDI begin to get lose and lose contact.

So try to crimp these down a little and plug it back together and try that.

If it is the stator make sure if you've done any mods to the bike that it is jetted properly.

• j5hunter

Posted December 21, 2006 - 02:16 PM

I Have Been Having The Same Problem And Seem To Have Narrowed It Down To The Stator Also. The Spark Is So Weak You Can Not See It. But If I Push Start It I Can Get That Pig Breathing Good. I Would Try And See If You Can Push Start It.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 21, 2006 - 04:24 PM

The coils on these old Hondas break down just like the stators do too. A new coil and a new stator will throw a spark that you can hear and see in broad daylight.

• lhark

Posted December 22, 2006 - 12:31 PM

Well we will see what happens, maybe I can take them off your hands. What happened when you checked everything, did they show up on the meter being bad? If thats the case I will just buy the stator from Sniper and put it on. Thanks for the help

It's possible my meter wasn't quite right.....I did all the checks, right by the numbers, but none of the components seem to test right. We didn't have forums like this, in those days, so I was flying blind, really. Finally, I called one of the rewind outfits, and they told me it was a common problem on XR 600's in the earlier years, anyway. Even the spark plug cap was testing bad, but it wasn't the problem....

• RShaips

Posted December 23, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Well I have it apart and have a different stator coming from Sniper. Mine looks good, we will try that first then move on to the coil etc. I have towed this thing with my ATV and still no luck! I want to fix it right. I am looking to buy a complete gasket set off ebay for about $45.00 shipped, dealer wants about $25.00 for one side cover. I am also going to need top end gaskets before I am done. Any problems that you know of using aftermarket gaskets? Thanks for the help!

• frankstr

Posted December 23, 2006 - 08:46 AM

RShaips...Welcome to Thumpertalk.....Looks like your getting answers...

:thumbsup: :devil:

• lhark

Posted December 23, 2006 - 08:54 AM

Well I have it apart and have a different stator coming from Sniper. Mine looks good, we will try that first then move on to the coil etc. I have towed this thing with my ATV and still no luck! I want to fix it right. I am looking to buy a complete gasket set off ebay for about $45.00 shipped, dealer wants about $25.00 for one side cover. I am also going to need top end gaskets before I am done. Any problems that you know of using aftermarket gaskets? Thanks for the help!

Well, at least you're smart enough to try to tow it.....We wore out three guys trying to kick it, all dressed in gear, and ready to ride. We got it going, but several miles into the ride, we stopped for a break, and that was that.
I was lucky enough to be close to an abandoned railroad grade, that a pickup could make it down, to haul the ol' girl out of there. Welcome to this forum, too. There's a load of people here with great ideas.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.