ride it more and you will like it more

11 replies to this topic
  • bullybull9

Posted December 17, 2006 - 01:53 PM

Well comming off a RMZ450 and jumping on a new 2006 wr450 I was pretty pissed off the first time out on the bike,,, After only doing just the throttle stop and the gray wire and close to 90 miles on the bike ,, I'm very happy with the switch ,, and to be quite honest ,, I want to know can I just rejet the carb and remove the AIS,, while leaving the stock exhuast and the air box alone.

When I'm treating the bike like a MX bike I'm a little unhappy but when I ride it like a woods bike ,, I love it.

Also alot of after market parts don't mention the 06 ,, are 03-06 parts the same ,, ya know basic stuff,, exhaust ,, plastics, bars,

• Fullbore4

Posted December 17, 2006 - 02:07 PM

yah......refer to the stickys at the top.

• Seabass

Posted December 17, 2006 - 02:30 PM

Open up the air box and exhaust pipe then rejet. You'll find a whole different bike once you do. Go to the performance sticky and you should find your answers. Indy has given a comprehensive jetting guide that works very well. Two other sites that are very helpful are the Motoman and Thumperfaq sites. You can link to them in the Sticky section.

I'm not sure about the different years parts being interchangeable on the WR's.

• bullybull9

Posted December 19, 2006 - 03:39 AM

I understand the whole doing the free mods thing,,, but your missing my point I'm happy with the power delivery right now , for the trails I ride, I don't want to removed the snorkel ,, It keeps all the crap from getting into you intake,, I'm going to jet it and remove the AIS, but keep the stock exhaust.
Unless in your opinion it will cause harm to the motor,,,I'm sure next year I will want more power but for now I want get better at ridding the bike.

• Fullbore4

Posted December 19, 2006 - 07:24 AM

You have not yet asked any questions. I would definitely pull the pea shooter out of the exhaust and see if you even need to rejet. Indy's chart is for an uncorked bike. Not much more crap gets in if you do all the air intake mods. When you want to make the bike run, read deeply into the sticky's at the top of the forum and you'll find info how to do about anything. If not there, use the search feature.

• Anchslayer

Posted December 19, 2006 - 02:43 PM

You CAN just remove the AIS and rejet. The AIS removal is a must but you may not need to rejet if you leave on the stock exhaust. After removing the AIS check how it runs, does it backfire on decel? If so you may be a little lean. Also, check you plug. If its white you may be lean as well, it should be golden brown. Now that being said, do all the free mods and then get a PMB insert and JD kit and enjoy the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bullybull9

Posted December 19, 2006 - 04:50 PM

Thanks guy's,,, also I was trying to point out to any newbies that the bike does perform well,,, even with just a few mods ,, again I'm very happy with the bike,, when I first jumped into this room ,, I hated the wr ,, but after spending a good day of ridding I'm very happy I made the switch,, I know things can only get better.

• tony1970

Posted December 19, 2006 - 05:07 PM

I understand the whole doing the free mods thing,,, but your missing my point I'm happy with the power delivery right now , for the trails I ride, I don't want to removed the snorkel ,, It keeps all the crap from getting into you intake,, I'm going to jet it and remove the AIS, but keep the stock exhaust.
Unless in your opinion it will cause harm to the motor,,,I'm sure next year I will want more power but for now I want get better at ridding the bike.

The snorkel is not ment to keep debris and water out of the airbox. It's intent is for keeping the db's down at cetain RPM's. If you did not want to remove the knock outs on the left side of the airbox to keep crud out I could see that, but as far as the snorkel goes pull it. When I bought my bike the dealer removed the throttle stop and I pulled the small pea shooter in the exhaust and kept it that way untill I broke the bike in and got use to the handeling and power style. Once I did the all the free mods , PMB insert , and jetted it correctly I found the bike was much easlier to ride and contol. The extra power also helps in certain situations and I ride some pretty tight single track. Whatever you decide just plan on rejetting a few times a year for changing weather and elevations.

• Cirus

Posted December 20, 2006 - 04:56 PM

I came off a '04 YZ450 so the power of the WR was no worry. In fact from what I had read on here about how corked up the WR was from the factory I new I would not be satisfied with it in stock form so I ordered the AIS removal kit and the PMB insert before I brought the bike home. I unloaded it off the trailer and took it down the road. What a turd! I did all the free mods, removed the smog crap, and added the insert and that definitlely woke it up. Well, just for kicks I took off my FMF Factory 4 exhaust off my YZF and put it on the WR.:devil: What a monster! I new I couldn't go back to the way it was so I just ordered a PowerCore exhaust w/Powerbomb header and now it runs like it should.:thumbsup:

• bullybull9

Posted December 31, 2006 - 05:50 PM

I'm faster in the trails on the wr than I ever was on the rmz ,, its just so easy to ride,, I went trail blazing today ,, I'm going to get some radiator gaurds ,, dailing in the suspension is key and just learing how the bike rides can make the world of differance.

• MountainMax

Posted January 01, 2007 - 10:39 AM

now youre making me miss my bike, it's the dead of winter here, and I MISS my bike :lol:

• bullybull9

Posted January 04, 2007 - 05:00 PM

I've been ridding for the past 9 weekends in a row with my kid,, we rode turkey day in the rain ,, yup I'm having a blast.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.