warming up

7 replies to this topic
  • mrrubenstein

Posted December 17, 2006 - 12:14 PM

I have a question about letting my yz 450 warm up. I started it and let it warm up and after about 5 or 6 min of straight idlein i would crack the throttle a little bit and I noticed the antifreeze would come out of the overflow. Is this something i should be concerned about? It is a new bike i dont know if maybe it has something to do with breakin it in. Let me know what u know k thanx

• glasseye

Posted December 17, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Don't let it idle so long. It need air movement to cool.

• matts06yzf

Posted December 17, 2006 - 04:35 PM

Its getting to hot man, dont let it sit that long. Maybe a min thats it..if its real cold. Cant believe you didnt mention your header pipe glowing bright red:naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted December 17, 2006 - 04:57 PM

Let it idle or run at a standstill for no more than two minutes when cold, 30 seconds or so when warm. A good warm up is important, but you should finish it on the fly by taking it easy for a few minutes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted December 17, 2006 - 09:05 PM

. Cant believe you didnt mention your header pipe glowing bright red:naughty:

Or my exhaust is popping and my new chain stretched:bonk:

• Yamahafan

Posted December 18, 2006 - 06:24 AM

I was told once that letting your bike warm up for more than a minute or two causes carbon build-up on your spark plug. Is there any truth to that?

• 642MX

Posted December 18, 2006 - 07:15 AM

I was told once that letting your bike warm up for more than a minute or two causes carbon build-up on your spark plug. Is there any truth to that?

I haven't found any truth in that. Now, if you start the bike for a minute and shut it off without properly warming it up, it may foul the plug (gas fouled). But under normal use, idling a bike for a couple minutes won't hurt anything.

• TMAC25

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:56 PM

I wonder why, try letting it worm up at idle for 10-15 minutes next time, your simply not giving it enough worm up. I mean at 5 – 7 min warm up your only at what 220 degrees, maybe try reaching 250 before you take off. J/K 1-2 minute warm up is plenty if not too much.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.