06 WR450 Things I should check

9 replies to this topic
  • waynus

Posted December 17, 2006 - 12:10 PM

I'm wondering if I shouldn't take off the right hand side engine cover and pump etc to check the tightness of the crankshaft nut. I've heard of them coming loose on earlier models.
Any thoughts or experience anyone?

• MountainMax

Posted December 17, 2006 - 12:24 PM

I have not heard of this but am very interested if it's true.... Anyone???

• Fullbore4

Posted December 17, 2006 - 01:44 PM

Funny, I was wondering the same thing as I came on this forum today.......my dealer said its just the clutch plates rattling but I had also seen other reports, namely have a look at these posts:

Let me know what you guys think.

• msgbean

Posted December 17, 2006 - 04:38 PM

I had one come loose on my 03. Luckily I was going slow because when it came loose it screwed off against the case and felt like a ceased engine. I immediately stopped the engine and it wouldn't even turn over with the foot starter. After I opened it up I seen the lock washer had actually broke and went through the gears.

• Fullbore4

Posted December 17, 2006 - 05:05 PM

how hard is it to get to and do you need new gaskets before reassembling?......any special tools required?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Paul

Posted December 17, 2006 - 05:22 PM

this is the same type of sound I have been hearing on my 05. Kind on a whining/growling noise that sounds like a dry bearing. It is coming from the right side of the engine. I also want to know what is involved in taking it apart to inspect it.

• Fullbore4

Posted December 17, 2006 - 10:20 PM

Looking at the manual, it looks like you have to remove all the goodies and then the right crank case cover as the crankshaft nut is hidden behind the water pump....I think since the dealer told me not to worry and the noise was documented while on warranty.......I don't think i'll be pulling those covers off too soon.....but your noise MN_Paul may be different.

• MountainMax

Posted December 18, 2006 - 03:35 AM

Warranty? my dealer said competition bikes (like ours) don't come with any......

• Fullbore4

Posted December 18, 2006 - 10:33 AM

WR is considered a race bike so its warranty is normally 30 days after purchase but standard bikes are 90 days. Check out your manual.

• MountainMax

Posted December 21, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Kewl, Yamaha's usually never need any warranty work done anyhow. :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.