Hanging throttle

6 replies to this topic
  • glabudde

Posted December 17, 2006 - 11:23 AM

05 xrr 650 uncorked. Without any new adjustments throttle seems "hang" a little this is a new issue that just appeared. No apparent mechanical hangups in throttle cable, but when reducing the throttle quickly engine rpm decrease seems to lag by a second or two. Throttle adjustments haven't helped.

Thoughts?

• Cpres

Posted December 17, 2006 - 01:23 PM

Jetting and valve adjustment are my thoughts.

• creeky

Posted December 17, 2006 - 06:28 PM

These engines have a considerable amount of intake vacuum when the throttle is chopped from speed. This can cause excessive friction between the slide and the slide bore which results in the slide returning to idle position more slowly than normal. This might be your problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • glabudde

Posted December 17, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Is there a solution? I was considering venting the air box anyway to provide more air - would that help?

• HawkGT

Posted December 17, 2006 - 10:57 PM

Has the weather changed recently? I ask because you said this was a new issue. In my experience, a hanging idle is most often caused by a lean pilot circuit. What pilot jet are you running? Does adjusting the fuel screw affect the behavior of the idle? Might be worth cleaning the carb (remove and clean all passages with carb cleaner and compressed air) to eliminate that as the source of the problem.

• motopsycho650

Posted December 21, 2006 - 04:58 AM

I would play with your pilot adjustment. I've noticed the same issue, but it was a rich pilot condition for mine. I say clean the carb, and fiddle with the jetting a bit.

What is your setup? i.e main jet, pilot jet, needle jet position, any HRC parts, cutout side panel, etc.

• snaggleXR650

Posted December 21, 2006 - 05:50 AM

Decrease your idle speed. This is pretty common. If your bike doesn't idle well after the idle speed is reduced, then adjust your pilot screw (fuel screw) to achieve the highest idle.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.