XR650R Suspension Settings

3 replies to this topic
  • neckbelly

Posted December 16, 2006 - 03:58 PM

I just picked up a barely used 650R, and it would seem that the previous owner has softened the rear suspension beyond what makes sense.

Are there reccommended "base-line" settings available for me to start with?

The front feels fine, but for comparison sake base-line front settings would be good to have as well.

Let me know please, thanks

• philipstjohn

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:46 PM

I just picked up a barely used 650R, and it would seem that the previous owner has softened the rear suspension beyond what makes sense.

Are there reccommended "base-line" settings available for me to start with?

The front feels fine, but for comparison sake base-line front settings would be good to have as well.

Let me know please, thanks

Did you get a owner's manual with the bike? It will explain the adjustment options with the suspension. If not, here is the link to the XR650R manual on line... this should answer all your questions...
If you over 170lbs or so, you may need to re spring and re valve the stock suspension to dial it in to you tastes...:thumbsup:
Good luck and welcome to TT!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:47 PM

Sorry, forgot to paste...

http://194.19.84.6/xr/

• motopsycho650

Posted December 17, 2006 - 07:39 AM

I would go with the factory settings. Oil level, compression dampening & rebound dampening.

I am very happy with the stock suspention, but I'm 175lbs, and I ride in CO where they don't call them the Rocky Mountains for nothing. My settings are simple, I added 10ml of 5w Honda oil to each front fork. The rebound & compression on both front & rear is set one click stiffer than the stock settings. I have not adjusted the pre-load on the rear spring at all.

This setup seems to have good, comfortable cushioning in the top 50% of travel, but also stiffens up well in the last 50% and prevents bottoming. A lot of people think the stock suspension is to stiff, but I thought it needed a bit more for me & my riding style. Out of all the possible settings, adding the oil to the front forks did the most signifigant and positive change.

P.S. You can download a PDF service manual from http://194.19.84.6/xr/ It's 147MB and some of the pages are a little crooked, but it beats paying 40 bucks.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.