Jetting an 06 YZ450 for my scenario?

5 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:45 AM

First off, I do know how to search and have been reading a lot of posts on the matter. My problem is that I live in Mexico and can't run to the local Yami dealer if I don't have the right part. I'm heading to the states next week and need to order parts asap so that they are at my parents house when I get there. BTW- I just bought a '06 YZ450 today which I'll pick up at the same time.

Ok, so I'm switching from an 04 WR450 to an 06 YZ450. First question, will the JD jet kit (jets and needles) I have for my WR work with my YZ? If so I could put the stock needle back in my WR and use it for the YZ. Or is there a better needle because I read about a (shoot what was it) NFLR or NLFR something like that? What are the stock jets 160 mn 42 pj?

So to make sure I have everything I need to play around with the jetting...what all do you recommend for my scenario? I live in Mazatlan, Mexico which is sea level + 5 feet (as I'm staring at the ocean as I type this). The winter is around 60-80 with moderate humidity and the summers are around 90 with high humidity (I try to do more riding in the winter and more surfing in the summer 'cuz it is sticky!!!

SO what all jets do you recommend just to be safe and what else such as needles? I have some jets from my WR if they fit.

Thanks!

• Ga426owner

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:06 PM

First off, I do know how to search and have been reading a lot of posts on the matter. My problem is that I live in Mexico and can't run to the local Yami dealer if I don't have the right part. I'm heading to the states next week and need to order parts asap so that they are at my parents house when I get there. BTW- I just bought a '06 YZ450 today which I'll pick up at the same time.

Ok, so I'm switching from an 04 WR450 to an 06 YZ450. First question, will the JD jet kit (jets and needles) I have for my WR work with my YZ? If so I could put the stock needle back in my WR and use it for the YZ. Or is there a better needle because I read about a (shoot what was it) NFLR or NLFR something like that? What are the stock jets 160 mn 42 pj?

So to make sure I have everything I need to play around with the jetting...what all do you recommend for my scenario? I live in Mazatlan, Mexico which is sea level + 5 feet (as I'm staring at the ocean as I type this). The winter is around 60-80 with moderate humidity and the summers are around 90 with high humidity (I try to do more riding in the winter and more surfing in the summer 'cuz it is sticky!!!

SO what all jets do you recommend just to be safe and what else such as needles? I have some jets from my WR if they fit.

Thanks!

The JD jet kit is different - do not use it. Buy a NFLR needle from yamaha or the 06 JD kit...can't help you with 5ft above sea level...cali riders can assist you

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:13 PM

The JD jet kit is different - do not use it. Buy a NFLR needle from yamaha or the 06 JD kit...can't help you with 5ft above sea level...cali riders can assist you

Is there a consensus on what is better between the NFLR and JD needle? I imagine it would be cheaper to get the NFLR and then a few jets as all I paid for in the JD kit was the needle as the jets were the same as I could have bought anywhere.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:21 PM

James Dean is a bright individual, and has put a lot of careful thought and research into his products. The only thing not to like about them is that they cost money.

That said, my '06 runs quite well with the 45/NFLR (clip in #4)/165 setup that we run.

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:56 PM

Yea, I'm not doubting that at all as I've heard nothing but good things about JDs including my own experience with my WR.

What altitude are you at Gray Racer? Stock is 42/160 right? So would I be totally safe picking up a 45 and 48pj and 165, 168 and 170 Mn with the NFLR needle or should I get some additional stuff?

• grayracer513

Posted December 17, 2006 - 10:30 AM

From sea level desert to 3600 feet or so.

The jets you listed should be all you'll need.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.