Seat Recovering

10 replies to this topic
  • brp2004

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:15 AM

I bought a new taller foam and cover for my pig. I've never recovered a seat. I've read the instructions, however, how difficult is it really? Should I avoid the hassle and take it to an upholstery shop?

• frankstr

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:31 AM

Welcome to Thumpertalk, brp2004....
I've never recovered a seat...Just bought a tall seat...

Hey, Where are you Oregon ....

:thumbsup: :devil:

• hypersthenos

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:51 AM

It is not difficult, just takes some patience. One must have tool is a heat gun. One can be had at Harbor Freight or other discount stores for less than $30 or so. You will want to soften the plastic seat pan so the staples will penetrate sufficiently as well as for making the cover more pliable. An upholstery stapler is best, though a heavy duty stapler will suffice. Other than that just follow the directions. If you screw up just pry out the staples I start over. Make sure to trim the excess seat cover material only after you're completely satisfied with the results. Hope that helps.

• brp2004

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:53 AM

I'm in Salem.

• xrltim

Posted December 16, 2006 - 06:21 PM

I've done a few of them. I haven't gotten instructions with any of the covers so I've just gone for it on my own. Lay the new cover out preferably in the sun, or at least overnight in a heated room, this will soften it. Lay it evenly over the seat pan and start at the back. It helps to have a short step stool or bike stand with a towel over it because you'll be compressing the foam a little as you staple it up. It's easier to push down if you can work with it lower than work bench level. Work your way forward pulling it tight and stapling every half inch or so, one side, then the other so it's even. It gets a little weird when you get to the big curve but by then you'll kind of have it down. Take your time, it really isn't too hard but your hands will be sore, especially if you are using a manual stapler. I have an electric stapler that sounds like a 22 and works pretty well. Be sure to use long enough staples but not too long to stick through the pan. If you can't get them all the way in, use a little hammer as you go. In the factory they have a press that pushes on the seat pan compressing the foam just the right amount, then some monkey just starts zapping staples into it. Try to imagine that as you are doing it and it'll come just fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted December 17, 2006 - 05:16 AM

electric stapler and put the cover in the dryer for a few minutes makes it nice and plyable

• pburke

Posted December 17, 2006 - 07:58 AM

It is not difficult, just takes some patience. One must have tool is a heat gun. One can be had at Harbor Freight or other discount stores for less than $30 or so. You will want to soften the plastic seat pan so the staples will penetrate sufficiently

+1 on that - I didn't know that when I did my seat a few weeks ago and it was a real pain, even with a heavy duty stapler.

• Valerie Wilson

Posted December 17, 2006 - 10:41 AM

Here is an article from the Tech Tips forum.
Step by step on how to recover a seat.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=362765

We just use a regular staple gun and have no problems. Working with a second helper person makes it easier too. At least til you get started.
Patience is the key. If you mess up just take the staple out and replace it, no problem.

• ThunderChicken

Posted December 18, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I draw the line at doing your own seat covers. First because it's a pain in the ass and second it's one of those things that looks like crap until you get it completely right. There's no hiding a poor job.

There's an uplostry shop here in town that does seats for $20.

• LeadDoggy

Posted December 20, 2006 - 07:05 AM

Should I avoid the hassle and take it to an upholstery shop?

YES, take it to a shop!!!!

• HMC_rider

Posted December 22, 2006 - 12:37 PM

Or send it to www.customstitchworx.com he can put it on for you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.