Xr650l Icm

8 replies to this topic
  • Off-Road

Posted December 16, 2006 - 10:25 AM

Self induced problem I think--weak battery, cold day, my battery charger has "engine start" function which I used. 2000 XR650L
Bike was running excellent previous. After starting went for a short ride and it was missing in upper RPM range but would "catch" letting off the throttle. Good to 55mph or so. Initial thought was bad gas. Drained, refilled, battery still weak, used start function again on charger--now bike will start and idle, as you open the throttle it goes real flat even at full throttle and will not rev over maybe 1800rpm--no tach so I'm guessing. Can ride, but cuts out when you try and accel--as long as you are below 1800rpm or so it is OK at best. Tests done:
All ohm checks by manual are within specs, coil, signal generator etc
Leak down is less than 20% at 20psi, 0 above 25psi
Cranking compression is a bit low but altitude is high--above 6000
New plug
Inductive timing light will not pick up and work--light is good--checked on another vehicle
Ground plug to frame and crank engine--spark appears to weak and erratic
Can't explain the inductive timing light not picking up as plug is firing
Conclusion: ICM was partially damaged by using battery charger in start function but did not have total failure. Advance not working and possible that initial timing is off too. That is why I wanted to check timing but no go.
Anyone seen this before? Thoughts?
Thanks

• rebelventurer

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:36 PM

Welcome to TT. I believe its the cdi ignition box that you are refering to, If you have a bad battery that could be your trouble, or your stator may be bad, (not charging or putting out enough voltage for spark). I do not see a battery charger really breaking anything. I believe you had a deteriorating electrical issue beforehand.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 16, 2006 - 07:43 PM

After thinking on this a while, your problem could also and most likely be caused in the rectifier, and that a "jump" start could indeed burn a diode in the rectifier, I believe there are six total (diodes) and as much voltage as the ignition system uses a failure or partial failure would cause the problems you described, with I would call an intermittent voltage problem, or low voltage. When you ask the motor to accelerate the volts to the sparkplug should also ramp up and it seems they are not which causes the engine to sputter. Question is do you have a manual? In it you will find how to test the rectifier.
Good luck, I will look in my manual and see what I can find. Post your findings or further questions on this thread. :thumbsup:

• Off-Road

Posted December 17, 2006 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the thoughts--but I have checked both the rotor and stator as well as the recitifier unit. All are in spec according to the factory service manual chart--using my digital Multimeter. I've got a ICM (Honda calls it an ignition control module at least in this application) coming so I should be able to R2 the unit early next week and give it a try--this time without the start function on the battery charger.
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted December 17, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Yep, you are right Honda calls it an icm, my bad. Just make sure your battery has a full charge, after you swap out the icm.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:46 AM

To rule out a carb/fuel issue, try turning the choke on and see if it'll rev higher.

When I suspect water, I drain the bowl into a clear glass (just like pilots do).

Dave

• Off-Road

Posted December 26, 2006 - 04:40 PM

Got it running again just as it was before. The ICM was in fact bad, but still working. It was not advancing properly and thus the inability to rev. Put in new ICM--problem solved. Keep in mind that it was working properly before I jumped the bike with my start function on the battery charger. I'm 99% sure I was the cause of the problem--I will not use the jump start function again. Also I got the ICM for about $100 from http://hondapartsdir...iche_select.asp
which was significantly better than any other price I could find.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 26, 2006 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the update! Also thanks for the link, this is what TT is all about!!!:lol: Now get out there and ride:ride: Happy Holidays

• frankstr

Posted December 26, 2006 - 07:12 PM

Welcome to Thumpertalk, Off-Road......:lol:

:confused: :confused:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.